Why All The Gloom & Doom Over HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The sign on bonus typically requires a 2-4 year commitment. Even then, you will never come close financially with the military.
Interesting, I had a recruiter look into sign-on bonuses a while ago and he said the bonus for direct accession for ortho was $314 000 - if I remember correctly. If you went to a school where you could get in-state tuition, that should be able to cover student loans. I know you would come out ahead if you went totally civilian but for someone who really wants to serve, a 2-4 year commitment and all debt taken care of doesn't sound bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a an active Army physician near the end of my ADSO and I genuinely feel sorry for any HPSP and especially USUHS student. Military medicine always had its difficulties but the DHA and MEDCOM have destroyed it.

Please talk to a military doctor before you make this decision.

HPSP is a predatory loan. Plain and simple. The military will pay approx. 50k a year for 4 years of your school and then pay you at least a 100k less per year for 4 years of your work as an attending. You will lose in almost every way you can imagine (and in many ways that no one can right now).

I couldn't in good conscience recommend HPSP or USUHS to anyone now or for the foreseeable future.

Can you tell us any specifics about how DHA is affecting military medicine?

the bonus for direct accession for ortho was $314 000

That number is before taxes. After taxes, you would receive $219,000, which may be enough to cover medical school. I think that you need to take on a four-year commitment for the critical wartime skills accession bonus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell us any specifics about how DHA is affecting military medicine?

That's the issue -- nobody really knows. They are 100% hellbent on downsizing the medical corps through attrition and civilianizing. They also are reducing the amount of backfill for ancillary staff. The whole idea is to "do more with less."

That's the issue -- nobody really knows. They are 100% hellbent on downsizing the medical corps through attrition and civilianizing. They also are reducing the amount of backfill for ancillary staff. The whole idea is to "do more with less."

Let’s be careful to define “they”. DHA is not driving the proposed downsizing, that is being driven by the Services. Medicine is expensive, medical corps officers are expensive. If a Service can abdicate that cost to someone else and use that money to buy their new whiz-bang-thing-a-ma-jig they are absolutely going to try and do that every time.

If the Services were willing to pay I’m sure the DHA would be more than happy to have more doc’s sitting around.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Another thing for OP to consider:

When I was considering HPSP, I talked to some military docs who mentioned that as they progressed in rank and career, their duties became more and more administrative and less direct patient care. Now that I am through with my training, I find that because attrition is so high, that shift into admin is happening earlier and earlier.

I, and others in my cohort, am now taking on far more admin than I ever expected in my first duty assignment immediately out of training. You aren't given the "few years to hone your clinical skills" that people talked about in the past. Within 3 weeks of arriving at my duty station, I was made chief of my clinic and made head of two separate hospital-wide committees. I am considered only 55% clinical at this point, and that number might go down even further. It's a lot of desk work, attending meetings, and creating slide decks. Out of that 55% clinical, probably half of those patient encounters are "at the top of my training" -- I'm seeing far more primary specialty than I would like to and far less subspecialty than I feel that I need in order to secure clinical skills that I extended my ADSO to obtain.

Reactions: 1 user