Why a post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alshera

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm wondering why you guys chose post-bacc's instead of going into a master's program? I'm not quite sure what to do yet and I dont know which will help more in the application process. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Alshera said:
Hey I'm wondering why you guys chose post-bacc's instead of going into a master's program? I'm not quite sure what to do yet and I dont know which will help more in the application process. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alshera, good to see you in this forum finally :) This is probably where you will get better answers to a lot of your questions.

For myself, I actually am doing both. I completed a post-bacc program last year, and will be entering Georgetown's SMP this coming year.

The reason why I chose a post-bac at first was because:

1. Wanted to raise my undergrad GPA
2. Didn't have a lot of money and felt the post-bac was cheaper
3. Didn't have the option of moving when I first made the decision to return to school
4. Really felt that all I needed was an increase in my GPA and a track record of success to gain admittance to med school.

Having completed the post-bac, I am glad I did for several reasons, but realistically, I probably wouldn't do it again, if I had it to do over. First of all, when I actually sat down and looked at my transcript, I realized that I had so many undergrad units already, and my GPA was so low, that I would have to attend a post-bac (and get a 4.0) for 3 or 4 years solid, just to raise my GPA to respectability. As it was, by taking a full year of upper division bio classes full time and getting a 3.9 while working full time to support myself (since a post-bacc doesn't qualify for financial aid), I only raised my overall GPA by .1

With that in mind, I would have chosen the Masters program from the start. Basically, my undergrad GPA is pretty much shot. But, since graduate and undergrad GPA's are considered separately, if I can do well in the SMP at G-town, I will have a bright shiny graduate GPA to show off.

One word of caution, I don't know what your timeframe for beginning a Masters program is, but if you are thinking of starting this summer, you are way behind the curve, and need to get your application in today.

Feel free to respond or PM if you have any more questions I might be able to answer.

Alshera said:

As the prior poster indicated, postbacs are mainly useful for raising the undergrad cum GPA. Some people in postbacs don't quite have GPAs which enable them to get into an SMP, or don't have the prereqs to start taking graduate courses in a regular science masters. (For people with a BA instead of a BS, I think it's not easy to get into an MS program because you frequently won't have taken enough science) Postbacs are also good if you only need some courses and aren't needing or planning to take enough credits as would be required to get a masters. Finally, as the prior poster indicated, if you have a lot of academic rehabilitation to do, sometimes you will need to do both a postbac and a Masters/SMP to get to the point where med schools look at you positively. The bottom line is that your credentials and background dictate whether a postbac or masters or both makes the most sense. There is no route that is going to be better for all people in all cases. People get into good med schools from any of these routes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alshera,

I am doing post bacc because I have a crappy GPA, but mainly b/c I have no science credits, therefore I am not qualified for a masters, or SMP. It (Post-bacc) seems to be the quickest and most efficient way to go if you have no science Prereqs.

Alshera

I call my post-bacc a “do-it-yourself” project. I have reasons for not enrolling in a formal program (poverty, age, fiancé, state residency, etc). I take classes a-la-carte at a local school (and online, no flames or comments from the peanut gallery:p) to improve the undergrad GPA. For now...

Folks do the post-bacc for many reasons.

1. To Rehab the undergrad GPA.- Many schools have an undergrad GPA cutoff and if you fall below they don't look at your app. Most say the average cutoff GPA is 3.3-3.5. Many realize after crunching the #'s that this will take 2-3 years of full time effort. They usually cut their losses and enroll in an SMP or other graduate degree program. It opens up a new section of grades on the application. The common thinking is that these grades, if they are good, will show that you have matured and can do the hard work required of a med student.

2. They haven't taken the pre-req's before graduating - These folks may not need GPA repair

3. They want to improve the undergrad GPA to get into an SMP or Masters program.

You may find you just need a few classes to improve your chances. Or you might go whole hog for the SMP. There are a lot of options. Study hard, start an upward trend (of grades), do well on the MCAT and be persistent.

Agape.

I chose post-bacc because of it's linkage agreement (if you pass with a 3.0 or better, then you are guaranteed a seat in the following medical class). I'm waiting to see if I get in (won't know until late Aug).

Well currently with my summer classes it looks like my GPA will be up a 3.3, and then next year I am really hoping to hold on to it, if not improve it. I'm a BS in Biology, and I know that re-taking my pre-med classes is barely going to budge my GPA. As for my application to a SMP, I'm planning on going in next summer, so summer of '06 after I graduate. I'm begining to feel that doing a post-bac in my situation would be fairly futile. Hopefully I get into an SMP though!

I don't want to sound down or anything, but I'm going for my Masters. For me, a post-bac wouldn't really add anything to my life. What I mean is...

I'm not doing grad school or anything in my life for anything beyond being just for me. I plan to go on and teach for the time between undergrad and med school because heck, I wanna (and really no other reason). Under both of the programs I'm looking to teach under, they offer higher education at their expense. I could justify going to bring up my undergrad grades when I could have a whole new degree that could make me marketable in some way. For example, if I did a postbac/just classes in 2 years and wanted to teach a few more, I get payed as if I just have a bachelors. But if during those 2 years I get a masters, my pay goes up :D

I went to high school with a bunch of snotty "I'm doing this so it looks good to XYZ school" brats :rolleyes: I can't stomach doing anything for an adcom and whatnot. Just reminds me too much of those people who weren't genuine and I wanted to smack back then. (NOT saying this is of everyone on SDN or in this forum!). I honestly don't see much personal value in a postbac for me, but I do in a masters. I would never regret getting the masters (I need something to decorate the walls in my house :D ) but would doing the postbac.

That's just where I'm coming from and my situation. It's different for everyone.

Plus, the money is another issue. The idea of shelling out cash is nauesating to me (unless you know, it's on a Coach purse or something... :laugh: ), and I wouldn't have to do that for my masters. One could get paid doing the masters, but I haven't heard of people being paid to get their postbac.