Who's going to call Atlantic Bridge, "Irland" today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Virginia Tech College of Osteopathic Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone...back again after a short SDN sabatical....
Very glad to read that all is (generally) well with you guys :) Am also keeping fingers/toes/eyes crossed for those still waiting to hear!

So lola -- is there truth to this Georgetown rumour I hear?? If so, CONGRATS! that's so great for you!! My sitch hasn't really changed yet...going to apply for a CanHelp loan next month and see if I can make a go of this Bristol thing -- hopefully I'll have some good news to post soon enough!

Tee hee, also wanted to politely point out...I'm a girl everyone! I skimmed thru some old posts about financial discrimination thru AB and whatnot, and noticed many very masculine references to me and my circumstances. No worries, just thought I'd let y'all know! Tee hee once again :D

Ok, better run. Hope everyone has a great week!

M.

Meese glad to have ya back! And yes it's Virginia Tech.. The full name Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine. Mrs. Via who gave the money for the Vet. school and a college of engineering also requested that there be a med. school at VT. This year it opens the doors to a class of about 165.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, Valmont!

Sometimes I git a little ignorant. :laugh:

Whaddya y'all think of me writing a letter of intent? Do you think it's too late or won't really make that much difference? Any constructive advice is appreciated!

Originally posted by Meese

So lola -- is there truth to this Georgetown rumour I hear?? If so, CONGRATS! that's so great for you!! My sitch hasn't really changed yet...going to apply for a CanHelp loan next month and see if I can make a go of this Bristol thing -- hopefully I'll have some good news to post soon enough!

yes... the nasty rumor is true ;)
i am in hawaii right now soaking it all up!!! as of right now i am 99% sure i'll go to gtown (and lose all that money :(). i'll be making a final decision in the next few days.

don't worry, though, i'll still be reading the international forum, living vicariously through all you lucky ducks who are going to be heading to ireland.

Hey guys!
I just received news that I have been rejected by RCSI for the 6 year program. I have not received an offer yet from UCD. How can I know why I was rejected? Is there anything more I can do for a second chance?
:confused:

:(
Condolences, catchmehere44

Hey guys!

You know, it seems that a lot of us are waiting on UCD. Maybe we'll hear good news soon!

WooHoo!

Darn, my fingers are gettin' mighty cramped from crossing them so long.

Still keeping hopeful...

loo

why ireland?????? The next best thing to american medical school is great britain? Schools like oxford are even better than some american schools. Just a thought.

Most people pick Ireland over Great Britain for a few reasons. The euro is a better buy than the british pound, plus the programs in Ireland are generally the same length or shorter than the british programs (many of which are 6 years). Finally, the Irish schools have been placing many grads U.S. residency programs for a while, so they have these routes well-established. The british schools don't have as much experience in this area, despite the schools being top-notch. Oxford is one of the oldest and most respected med schools in the world. It's been teaching organized medicine since the 1300's. Which brings me to my last point; some of the more recognized schools in the UK are extremely damn hard to get into (oxford, cambridge, st. andrew's, etc)...the irish schools are easier to get into because they have adopted a somewhat more north american admissions process (using the MCAT etc), whereas the british system of admissoin is still quite foreign and sequestered.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone
just back from my RCSI interview. it was HORRIBLE! i can say without a doubt that i will not be offered a spot. the whole focus of the interview was how "OLD" i was, and did i realise how "OLD" i would be when i get out and start to practice. i felt incredibly defensive and walked out of my interview feeling like i should head downtown to apply for my senior citizen buss pass!

hope everyone else is doing much better than i am!

hey red_bull, sorry to hear your RCSI interview went sour...that sucks that they chose to focus on your age...tell me, where exactly was the interview? not in ontario? keep your chin up

the interviews were held in boston over the weekend. the interviews were booked for a half hour for each candidate.

I am so sorry to hear that! What *#@$'s! I am glad then that I was not in the running. I just turned 28 on friday. That was hard enough with out having it rubbed in my face that I am getting old. Let me know what the next plan is Red.

happy belated birthday old timer!!!! we're the same age, i'm turning the big 28 pretty soon too. i don't know what my plan is so far, i still have UCD to hear back from and TCD.

Originally posted by red_bull
happy belated birthday old timer!!!! we're the same age, i'm turning the big 28 pretty soon too. i don't know what my plan is so far, i still have UCD to hear back from and TCD.

You are 27 and they were giving you a hard time? That seems a bit extreme. I understand that in Ireland you start the 6-year program right out of high school, but you are no old-timer.

Did you defend your decision to go to medical school slighty later than most?

Holy cow. Jeez. I'm 38. Age 'aint nothin' but a thang! They sure as heck better not pull that age discrimination crap on me. :D

loo

BTW red bull-- If you think you crapped out in the interview, you probably made it.:)

mcgillgrad ---- i didn't think that 28 was too old, i was really surprised that it was such a focus point. i really defended myself and why i persued my academic career so 'late' in life. i just felt it then set a bad tone for the rest of the interview, especially when it came up again.

loo----- you are so optimistic !!! i can only hope that you are right!

red_bull,
i will be declining my acceptance to tcd tomorrow, so maybe they will want another old geezer to replace me :). i'm 27 as well!

Originally posted by lola
red_bull,
i will be declining my acceptance to tcd tomorrow, so maybe they will want another old geezer to replace me :). i'm 27 as well!

I apologize for not following all of your posts, but which school did you accept?

you don't follow all 3000 of my posts? ;)
i've decided to take up georgetown on their offer.

Originally posted by lola
you don't follow all 3000 of my posts? ;)
i've decided to take up georgetown on their offer.

:laugh: I guess that I am just lazy.

Congrats! That is a great school.

Wow Lola, that's wonderful news. Georgetown is great! Congratulations!

Congratulations, Lola. Well done! I'm sure you will make a superb physician.

Don't forget to release the place you're holding at Trinity to one of the people on this board who is waiting for it.

Des

Thanks for the B-day wishes. Ya'll have a great day/evening.;)

Emailed Mr. K about my rejection at RCSI. He says that this year they received far superior applicants and this was why I was rejected. I am an undergrad applying for the 6 year program and my stats are 3.63 gpa, 3.9 science gpa, volunteering, member of student organizations at my university, the University of Texas at Dallas.
I made one stupid mistake. I was in a hurry to meet the AB deadline and I requested my cal prof to handover my recommendation letter to me so that I could FedEx it asap. Is such a letter considered non-confidential? I suppose the instinctive answer is yes..but still.
Is it possible that AB was not disclosing this as the real reason fro the rejection.
Can anyone tell me by looking at my stats how I can improve them for a better chance next time. Also I wonder how much more superior those other applicants must have been.
I'm not trying to whine or cry over split milk but jsut want to know what I am up against....

Keep the faith.:)

hi,
ya ,,, if u go back and read some of my posts u'll see i had the same problem ,, i did the same thing just to meet the deadline and i got a rejection from rcsi as well....
I think it really upsets mr.k when u do that... he describes it as not willin to comply with application procedures, which , in turn, looks bad on u...
did he tell u that ur application is not acceptable after that and that u need to submit other confidential letters?
Are u thinking of doing anything about it?
u can p.m me or email me if u want
[email protected]

That's unfortunate, you two. But in actuality, it's not just Mr. Keenan and AB who requires this. EVERYWHERE requires it. You HAVE to have confidential LOR's. This means that they have to be sent by your university registrar, and usually there's a stamp or seal on it from the registrar's office saying something like "This transcript is confidential."

The same thing would happen if you had applied to US schools. No one will take unconfidential LORs, which pretty much means anything that could have been touched by you.

But as far as your stats catchme, they look pretty good. But I guess it would depend on the applicant pool. Sometimes I think they look for people who have done stuff that your regular joe schmoe applicant wouldn't have done and put more emphasis on it. I'm sure you have a bunch of unique activities and attributes, it just depends on what everyone else has done.

Good luck, whatever happens!

Originally posted by phar
why ireland?????? The next best thing to american medical school is great britain? Schools like oxford are even better than some american schools. Just a thought.

Hmm, although Oxford/Cambridge and the lot have great overall reputations, if you look closer...you will find that they're not the "top ranked" medical schools in the UK, although there isn't much of a ranking system over in these parts. Besides being hard to get into, some of the fast track 4 year programs (for those who have already done science degrees) are not accredited by the US boards/ECFMG.

Don't talk without doing the research.

Also, your opinion that med ed in america is the best isn't shared. General medical education is pretty much standard worldwide (at least in developed countries). What you learn during med school isn't that much different from everywhere else. The difference comes during residency placements and stuff where residents/interns can utilize america's advanced technology, and therefore, advanced procedures. Quite a few Americans come over here because they like the european system of education better. It is similar to UK education, but refer again to the reasons above. Your statement is pretty much one of ignorance, and one of the reasons I chose to come here - to get away from thinking like that.

Also, while tuition is cheaper than US schools in the UK, living costs are a bit more expensive (especially places like London). And ...taking into consideration that the sterling is quite strong against the dollar, especially now...

There's a whole host of other reasons. A lot of Americans have family here, some want to be in a european country that's english-speaking. Ireland has a different culture/heritage/atmosphere than England does. etc.

Originally posted by MPS
Oxford and Cambridge are the top ranked medical schools at the moment. They were ranked first and equal second respectively by "The Times" (see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html).

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/unitable/0,,-4663459,00.html

According to the Guardian, Leicester is the top ranked med school in the UK ;)

League tables (esp. for medicine) really mean nothing. There's a nice caveat to this effect on the Guardian website:

"The reality is that there is very little to differentiate the providers of courses in medicine, and all are of obvious high quality .... after all, who wants to have a second class doctor?"

I cannot believe that I could have been so stupid as to not pay attention to the word "confidential" and try to find out what it meant. I have just screwed myself over! GOSH!!!
I emailed Mr. K about the specific reasons for the rejection as well as advice as to how to improve my stats. He simply stated that he cannot disclose to me the reasons that the Board had used for my case as it would violate the laws. He added that any correspondence this fall by me about the rejection would not be entertained. I had specifically asked about whether it was due to my LORs being unconfidential, but he did not have any response to that.
so what do ya think?

CRESTFALLEN

Originally posted by Trinners
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/unitable/0,,-4663459,00.html

According to the Guardian, Leicester is the top ranked med school in the UK ;)

League tables (esp. for medicine) really mean nothing. There's a nice caveat to this effect on the Guardian website:

"The reality is that there is very little to differentiate the providers of courses in medicine, and all are of obvious high quality .... after all, who wants to have a second class doctor?"

Sure, I think that from the point of view of the end product on the wards there's probably little difference.

I don't think that league tables are necessarily a waste of time, but as you say, they differ. I notice that the one in the Guardian seems to focus mainly on teaching, which from the point of view of the student is important. The one in the Times seems a little broader and takes into account research etc.

mcgillgrad ---- i didn't think that 28 was too old, i was really surprised that it was such a focus point. i really defended myself and why i persued my academic career so 'late' in life. i just felt it then set a bad tone for the rest of the interview, especially when it came up again.
right!

In all honesty, it was probably a pressure tactic to see how serious you were about medicine (including the thought that you put into it). In addition, they might have wanted to see how thick-skinned you were.

All in all, if you defended yourself confidently, then they should have been impressed with you.

thanks mcgillgrad i really really really hope that you are right.:)

WHATS NEW YA"LL?

Well hello again y'all. Just wanted to say that I just got my acceptance to DMU today. Looks like I was rather high on the "wait, wait don?t tell me" list! Have a good one guys. I am getting ready to call it a night.

Originally posted by Valmont
Well hello again y'all. Just wanted to say that I just got my acceptance to DMU today. Looks like I was rather high on the "wait, wait don?t tell me" list! Have a good one guys. I am getting ready to call it a night.

Where is DMU?

And Congrats!

I am not spell checking this!----LOL;) So, here is the word, as it was related to me. The class at UCD is full. If you have not gotten any word as of yet, you are are in the running for spots that open up. This could happen as late as Aug. or Sept. as I recall. So, the waite may be long but the pay off high! Keep your wits about ya and have a good summer. I have not made a final descision on where I shall be and that is running me, my friends and my family crazzzzy!:p :mad: :rolleyes: ;) :eek: :cool: Wishing you all the best---and NO I AM NOT HOLDING A SPOT IN IRELAND RIGHT NOW SO DON"T FRET!:D :laugh: I too would love to get in there. Have a good night.

VAL

hey valmont,
thanks for the update, much appreciated...kind of what most people figured at this point i guess...so tell me, does this mean that if we've heard nothing yet we have not been rejected...obviously if everyone in who has been accepted at this point stays put then we are not going to get in, but the people who have not been rejected at this point are still 'good enough' to get a spot?

hi everyone---
i wasn't even aware that ireland made a 'waitlist'. does anyone know how many people they put on this list, or if it is ranked? would this apply to all of the irish schools or just UCD?

thats my guess BadK. and as for the waiting list---hummm---don't know how it works---is it ranked or do they review everyone that has not been rejected---but yea they all have a "wait wait don't tell me" list i do believe!:clap:

hi all,
i e-mailed mr. keenan last night to find out what the dealio is with ucd (i was rejected by trinity and disqualifed by rcsi and ucc because i decided at the last minute not to write the april mcat). the e-mail i got from him told me that ucd's class is now full, and that i am among applicants who have not been rejected...my applicatoin is being held in reserve in the event that vacancies arise before classes begin in september, which would allow me to get one of these spots....how many of these spots or people there are is anyone's guess...but that's the latest update...so if you haven't heard any news from ucd yet, then it's still better than nothing! hang in there people!

Here's the latest-

My application is on reserve at UCD:rolleyes: and I've been regretted by RVC. (was probably regretted because I sent a letter of intent to UCD)

Anyway, didn't want to go to RVC anyway--hate PBL and it's way too expensive:D

There's still a good chance I'd get into UCD if a LOT of people get cold feet or withdraw an acceptance. Who knows?

I think it's safe to say it may be over soon...unless a miracle occurs.

My attitude is: It aint over till the fat lady sings.

Congrats to those with acceptances and good luck to all those still waiting;)

i have a similar situation---best to all---i'll let ya'll know if i hear anything---chances are i will stay state side---i have an acceptance to a school here