Who's familiar with Endnote X1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaSquirt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got Endnote X1. I know it's a popular program for clinical psychology students and helps with citations, but what do I do with it? I can open Microsoft Word and see this menu:

Endnote Menu

Or I can open the program directly.

Basically, I have a program and have no idea what it does or how to use it, but I know it's supposed to be useful.

If you have Endnote X1, how do you use it? What features do you like?

Members don't see this ad.

I love Endnote. It makes EVERYTHING easier about citation.

Brief overview: You can download the cites from things like PsycINFO directly. It is the 'export' option I think and then Windows will open a program that will put it directly into your Endnote library (which you can create in the program itself). With a Mac you will need to manually import the cite after it has downloaded which is easy enough to do. Then you can "cite as you write" where you hit the little magnifying glass on the Endnote menu in Word, and it will pull up a search box. Type in the name or some letters of the name of the author, it will come up, click on it and it will insert the cite and build your references at the same time. It's fabulous. It's not too hard to figure out, I sat with it for a day to work it out from some online reference things here. It's kind of difficult to explain on a forum like this, though. Perhaps your university offers a class in Endnote? Mine does, although with online manuals and some messing with it I figured it out on my own.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

I found an article, clicked Export, and chose "Save citations to a file formatted for: Direct Export to EndNote, ProCite, or Reference Manager."

I'm on a Mac. It saved a file to my desktop called "delivery". It has no file extension; when I click Get Info, it lists its kind as "plain text."

So I went into Microsoft Word, opened a Blank Document, and clicked Tools > Endnote X1 > Find Citation(s).

I tried opening the delivery file on my desktop, but it was blocked off from opening.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a way to direct export citations into Mac-- I got mine to default to do it, but I can't remember right now how I did it (I think I googled to find out how). If it works, you will have a window where you select the library you want it to go into-- once you select it, it'll go in there. I'll try to see if I can remember how to do it. Another option in the meantime is to right click (fn-click) the file in the downloads file in Finder and go to choose application and choose Endnote.

If you end up being completely lost-- or if you ever have any major problems with it-- you can always email the Endnote support staff. They usually get back to you within 1 day.

Okay, I added *.enl to the file name "delivery" and this is what I got when I double-clicked it:

Screenshot of delivery.enl

The crazy thing is when it was a text file, it just opened and had keywords relevant to the corresponding article. With that file extension added on, I now get that program opening up. ???

I feel like I'm getting closer to figuring this software out, but I'm still not there yet.

Also, when I click on Find Citation(s) in Microsoft Word, I now get this:

Crazy search tool

I searched for "cardiovascular," which was a keyword for that article I downloaded, no results were found.

I'm on a Mac too but haven't figured out how to get the automatic delivery. I'll have to google around a bit. But in the meantime, you need to be in your endnote library, not Word, to import the file. Go to Endnote in your applications, open it and create a library (it should give a menu that has this option) then go to file - import, and click on the delivery thing.

I think the problem is that your article isn't imported into Endnote, but if you do as outlined above, it will be. The crazy search tool is what's supposed to come up and you can put your cites in there.

You're like 90% there, and you'll be soooooo glad when you get to dissertation, Endnote's a miracle.