Who's applying for Northwestern DPT this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephilosphy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the PTCAS deadline, I just mailed out everything today. God bless me.

Prerequisite GPA:nearly 3.3~3.4
GRE:1200+3.5(AW is so bad:scared:)
Observation Hrs: nearly 80 so far in different rehabilitative settings,nearly 350 hrs of shadowing a nurse

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
good luck! I'm a first year there now...and there's a second year on these forums too (she's actually my official second year buddy in the program haha). If you have any questions about the program let me know!

Hey! I'm the second year in the program. ;) Your stats looks good so best of luck to you! And likewise, I'm here if you have any q's!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am!
as of now Northwestern is my #1 choice... sent my application in about 6 weeks ago so now just a lot of anxious waiting.. my app stats looks pretty good except my GRE i see you are kinda in the same boat as me with the AW score :(
Overall GPA:
Pre-Req GPA:
GRE:
V:400; Q:670; W:3.5
Yeah GRE is terrible but its just one test hopefully they'll look at the rest of my app more.
Good luck to both of us!

I am!
as of now Northwestern is my #1 choice... sent my application in about 6 weeks ago so now just a lot of anxious waiting.. my app stats looks pretty good except my GRE i see you are kinda in the same boat as me with the AW score :(
Overall GPA:
Pre-Req GPA:
GRE:
V:400; Q:670; W:3.5
Yeah GRE is terrible but its just one test hopefully they'll look at the rest of my app more.
Good luck to both of us!

But you have an excellent GPA ...

Good luck!:laugh:

Steph and Hoosier, keep us updated! We're meeting in the next few weeks to plan the open house for accepted/waitlisted students that will happen in January.

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask Akiramay or me :)

Steph and Hoosier, keep us updated! We're meeting in the next few weeks to plan the open house for accepted/waitlisted students that will happen in January.

Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask Akiramay or me :)

Thank you !

I'm an international student, but I received my bachelor's degree here. Does it matter?

Did Northwestern DPT program admit international students before??

yes. We have a girl in our class now from the Ukraine originally (I think?) and got her BS degree here, and we have another student from Eastern Europe as well - I believe she came here specifically for PT.

Where are you from?

yes. We have a girl in our class now from the Ukraine originally (I think?) and got her BS degree here, and we have another student from Eastern Europe as well - I believe she came here specifically for PT.

Where are you from?

China!I got my BS degree here. I'm not sure how NU consider international students.

I know there's financial aid/loans through NU that are only for international students, so that should be fine. I can ask the other girl who I'm 99% sure got her degree overseas though to double check. You can also email the admissions committee and ask.

I know there's financial aid/loans through NU that are only for international students, so that should be fine. I can ask the other girl who I'm 99% sure got her degree overseas though to double check. You can also email the admissions committee and ask.

Thank you so much to tell me that!:luck:

I also want to know if NU had bias toward international student. Do they understand it is hard for me, an international student whose native language is not English to get an outstanding GPA。。。So my GPA is not very good:laugh:

Last edited:
That I'm not sure on...I don't know how admissions decisions are made. GPA isn't everything though, they definitely value well rounded applicants and take lots of things into consideration.

good luck! I'm a first year there now...and there's a second year on these forums too (she's actually my official second year buddy in the program haha). If you have any questions about the program let me know!

I just turned in my application recently - super late I know but I spent a whole lot of time on my personal statement - does NU interview? Someone told me that they don't. I don't look that great on paper so I'm really hoping interviews will help me a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, there are no interviews, you just get accepted based on your application. But I'm sure if you spent a lot of time on your personal statement, then it's better than you think (we're often too hard on ourselves, right?). I had a friend apply to vet school with a pretty badly written personal statement, but she had other things to boost her like her gpa and extra-curriculars, which helped her get accepted. Your personal statement is just one part of what they look at, so remember that.

Hey Akiramay and DancerFutureDPT

I saw you go both go to Northwestern now and I have a quick question for both of you… I was wondering if you could tell me about how quickly schools like Northwestern and UIC told you that you were accepted. I am of course very anxious to know where I have been accepted. My PTCAS got sent in 9-20-10 and I got e-mails from both schools pretty much right away saying they have everything from me and I haven't heard anything since then.

Also to make me more anxious I just found out my boyfriend received a really good job offer in Chicago… so now I am also wondering if I should apply to other schools in Chicago such as Midwestern and Rosalind Franklin. It is getting pretty late in the app process but I know that both these schools are still accepting apps so if I want to apply to more schools I should do it now. I want to make sure I could definitely move to Chicago if I want to. I know I have a decent chance of getting into NW or UIC but with my overall app but my GRE scores they very well could reject me.

So if you have any advice on how long you had to wait to hear decisions from schools or on applying to other Chicago schools as back up please let me know!
Thanks!

Hey! I submitted my application on the deadline which I believe was October 15th. I received a call from Northwestern the first week of December. Also sometime in December I got an offer for an interview at Rosalind Franklin. After attending Northwestern's Open House in mid-January, I was sold on the school. I ended up accepting Northwestern's offer and declining Rosalind's interview. I also applied to Bradley and Midwestern but was rejected (didn't hear from them until late Spring). The third week of January I got a letter from UIC saying I was on the waitlist, and then in March I got a call saying I was accepted to the program. But I was still set on NU so I stuck with it! :) I believe Northwestern doesn't have rolling admissions but instead waits until it receives all its applications before sending out acceptance calls, so don't freak out if you don't hear from them for a while! You'll have to check to see the different acceptance processes for the other schools though.

I submitted mine sometime around the last week-ish in September, and I think I heard from them in mid November....and I disagree with Akiramay - I remember when I was talking about applying my advisor at NUPT saying that applying early is better, because in the past they've offered all their spots before the deadline even came around. That may not be the case anymore, though. UIC does not do rolling admissions from what I've heard (they wait until 10/15 to look at any applications).

I was offered interviews at Rosalind and Midwestern, but declined both (Rosalind's was the same day as NU's open house, and I had already been accepted there and waitlisted at UIC so I was fine with not going to Rosalind's interview). UIC notified me in late Dec or early Jan to tell me I was waitlisted, and then a PT I worked with talked to her husband (who is a professor and admissions committee member there) to find out just where I was on the waitlist...I was like #20 or 22. I was accept at UIC by mid February at the latest, but had already given NU my deposit after the open house.

NU will call you to let you know though, and then send a packet in the mail. UI just mailed, if I remember correctly, but they called to tell me I was off the waitlist and had been accepted.

Heh, our stories are pretty similar! And thanks for clearing up the NU admissions process.

It's awesome that current students are on the forum!

Anyways, NU is currently my 1st choice, and i am super anxious to hear from them. Unfortunately although i e-submitted my ptcas app on 9-28-10, ptcas notified me 4 weeks later that i was missing a transcript from a college course i took in high school. That delayed my application by 3 more weeks :mad:. When I called NU around the time the mailed my letter, the admissions coordinator told me that the school already accepted half of the students with almost 700 applicants, so its going to be harder for me. DANG. So, do they call you to accept you first, or will you only receive a letter?

Also: wat is the sex ratio in your class, and how many students are in your class? I was surprised to find that PT is a female dominated field since both of the PT clinics I work at are male-dominated.

Thanks!!

Hey! I'm the second year in the program. ;) Your stats looks good so best of luck to you! And likewise, I'm here if you have any q's!

Siracha -

The first year class I'm in currently has 76 students, 16 are male, the rest are female...definitely not an equal ratio. haha.

But, one thing that's really great is that we aren't competitive with each other, and we really get along well. Yeah, there are "cliques" (I wouldn't even really call it that, cuz no one excludes anyone else), but that happens with any group. For us it ended up based on where we sat the first day of class. It's kinda funny how it worked out. haha.

Siracha,

The 2nd year class is a lot smaller- 57 students, with 8 males and 49 females (we've lost 3 males and 3 females in the program along the way for various reasons).

And yes, they should call you before you receive an acceptance letter. It's a nice touch, I'd say.

Hey Dancer and Akiramay!
I have a question for you guys. I recently got accepted to Northwestern and am very excited. Now I have to start making decisions so I’m trying to get all the info I can about Northwestern! Right now I have been accepted to Northwestern and Wash U (st Louis) I am also hoping to get accepted to UIC (they won’t start notifying accepted students till January) so looks like my decision will be between those 3 schools. I was just wondering why each of you picked NW over let’s say UIC or some other great schools you were accepted to. I wanted to know was it the faculty, the facilities, the program, location or some other factor that really pushed you to pick NW.

Right now I feel somewhat biased to pick NW or UIC (if I get accepted) since my boyfriend already has a job in Chicago and I prefer Chicago over st. Louis… but I obviously don’t want to just pick a school for the location I want to really love it.

I haven’t visited NW yet so most of what I know about it is from what I have found online. I am excited to go to the open house in January!

I am also eager to hear from any current students at NUPTHMS. I was recently accepted and it looks like a great program. I think I am deciding between Pitt and NUPTHMS. So if any current students have any info about why they chose NUPTHMS and what makes it such a great school please share :)

HOOSIERDPT have you visited wash U? I also was accepted there, just recently visited it and did not like it much as i thought i would... so i think ill go to either pitt or NUPTHMS

Hey Dancer and Akiramay!
I have a question for you guys. I recently got accepted to Northwestern and am very excited. Now I have to start making decisions so I’m trying to get all the info I can about Northwestern! Right now I have been accepted to Northwestern and Wash U (st Louis) I am also hoping to get accepted to UIC (they won’t start notifying accepted students till January) so looks like my decision will be between those 3 schools. I was just wondering why each of you picked NW over let’s say UIC or some other great schools you were accepted to. I wanted to know was it the faculty, the facilities, the program, location or some other factor that really pushed you to pick NW.

Right now I feel somewhat biased to pick NW or UIC (if I get accepted) since my boyfriend already has a job in Chicago and I prefer Chicago over st. Louis… but I obviously don’t want to just pick a school for the location I want to really love it.

I haven’t visited NW yet so most of what I know about it is from what I have found online. I am excited to go to the open house in January!

Hoosier and DPTforme -

I was choosing between UIC and NU (and I believe Akira was too.) The main thing UIC had going was the price, and it's a good program (right up there with NU). Other things were that it's more of a pediatric/ortho based program (even though all PT schools cover all topics so that isn't a huge factor).

Things I liked about NU that made it ultimately win out:
- The location (in a great area, where as UIC is a little more sketchy, I could find safe housing in a closer proximity and closer to my friends at NU than UIC)
- The facilities themselves are amazing compared to UIC.
- The synthesis project that NU requires (I wanted a research component)
- The number of clinical affiliations
- It's a little shorter (by like 2 months or so)
- The faculty (especially our anatomy professor - she's freaking amazing, but unfortunately on maternity leave since late November through next trimester. She'll be back in time for our last unit). One of our TAs in our anatomy class is a professor of anatomy at UIC's PT school (and med school too I think).
- anatomy is split up over two trimesters, instead of crammed into one semester
- I like the trimester system. I hate semesters with a passion (I came from a quarter undergrad system).
- all the courses are team-taught, so we get a lot of perspective in each class
- NU is not competitive at all (once you get accepted). Everyone emails everyone else study guides before exams, etc, everyone helps everyone else, etc.
- I went to NU for undergrad and loved my experience, and wanted to stick around.
- It felt right

Visit each program you're looking at, go to their open houses if possible, and see where you feel like you could spend the next 3 years.

Hope that helps?

Thanks! That is helpful. I am trying to make a pro/con list for myself so all info is helpful!
I do plan to visit UIC this month and Northwestern in January so I guess I’ll just see which one is the best fit for me. I am an out of state student so I don’t think there will be a huge difference in cost between UIC and NU like there is for you in state students?

I too was choosing between UIC and NU. I had originally wanted to go to UIC, but was accepted to NU first and put on UIC's waitlist. I didn't think I would be accepted into NU so I had already ruled it out. But I went to the Open House and that's what really sold me. The faculty was not only educated but extremely nice, and were really friendly with each other and the students, and that holds true in our interactions still. I was highly impressed with the facilities, equipment used for research, etc. Everything was new and well kept. I got a little tour of UIC's facility and it just wasn't as nice as NU. I had done some research at U of I (my undergrad) and wanted to continue doing research and so I too liked the synthesis project component of NU.

I also liked the curriculum set-up better for NU over UIC. The 2 trimester anatomy was extremely helpful. I also like how NU's curriculum is more integrated. For example, in the first year when we're learning about the heart in anatomy, we are also learning about it in physiology and then learning how to take heart rate and blood pressure in our examination and evaluation class. So it really helps with this set-up.

NU has health care field trips and small clinical activities throughout the trimesters, as well as longer clinical times your first and second year. This early clinical experience allows us to apply what we are learning right away, whereas other schools (like UIC) only give you 2 weeks of experience your first year. Also, some schools have classes during the last semester, whereas NU only has 2 clinical experiences the last year. I like that better personally.

I did end up getting accepted to UIC, but I was already too impressed with NU to pass it up. I did a pros/cons list for UIC, and honestly, the cost was the only pro I had put down for UIC. Weighing that against everything else, I had to stick with NU. In my 2nd year, I'm still happy with my choice. I feel like I am getting a good education. After my first clinical experience this past summer, I felt like NU prepared me well for what was expected of me at that time.

Like dancerfutureDPT said, everyone in our class helps each other out. We hold study sessions together and email each other study guides or helpful websites. It helps to have a friendly, non-competitive atmosphere. We also hold barcrawls, an 'olympics' event, weekly running club (with students and faculty), fundraisers for the Miami-Marquette Challenge, and other activities that help remind us we can still have fun in school. ;)

I highly recommend doing a pros/cons list for the schools you're thinking about. Getting tours and going to open houses will also help you make a decision. I will be at NU's Open House so I will be able to help people there if they have questions, give tours, etc. Best of luck to you all!

I still got nothing from Northwestern, just assuming I don't get in!!:scared:

did u get a call from them first like the previous year before getting a letter of acceptance? Just wondering!

Hey Dancer and Akiramay!

Yes I received a call from Jane the admissions coordinator. I am still waiting for the packet in the mail with the paper acceptance. If you get wait listed I have heard you get an e-mail and if you get rejected i think its a paper in the mail.
If you haven't heard anything yet they probably do not have a decision on you yet. I know that they are still reviewing applications and giving acceptances until December 15th.
I applied in early September and just now heard so it takes a while for them to make a decision!
Good Luck!

did u get a call from them first like the previous year before getting a letter of acceptance? Just wondering!

Hey Dancer and Akiramay I have another question for you lol. Sorry to ask so many questions but I was just wondering about the synthesis project at NU. It sounds really great and I think that I do want a research component however I do not have much experience in research before. Basically I am just wondering how time consuming the project is each trimester? Do you feel you have time to concentrate on classes and clinicals while also working on your research projects?
I know I want to be a clinician I don't want to just do research when I graduate (if I did then I would get my PhD) so do you find it beneficial to a practicing physical therapist to have this experience in research? or do you feel the research may take away time as a PT student and leave more on the job learning?
The other school I am looking into has no research component at all so basically I think this may be a big factor if I want to research component or not.
Thanks!

Don't worry if you don't have any research experience! Many people in my class had no experience either. The research I was a part of in undergrad involved gathering lists of schools, and calling and interviewing teachers. For my synthesis project, we created a manual and held 'training' sessions for a few older women in a community on the westside of Chicago, teaching them about physical activity and how to promote it in their community. So remember, 'research' isn't all about the calculations, data, and fancy equipment (though there are synthesis projects that require that if you are interested). =)

As far as the time it takes, during the first trimester, all you do is pick which synthesis project you want (after hearing professors present their topics, you choose your top 3, and hopefully you can do one of those). How much time each synthesis project takes depends on how complicated the project is and how many students you get to work on the project (professors will give you a rough estimate of how much time you will need to work each week when they present during the first trimester). My project said 2-3 hours a week, which has held true. Some people work 3-5 hours a week though. However, every Monday afternoon there are no classes, just time to work on your synthesis project. For me, we usually met as a group for 2 hours in the afternoon and then I'd maybe have to do some work outside of that, but not much. Others had to work longer, especially this fall trimester when everyone started doing data collection.

Anyways, I do not feel as if it is taking away from classes or clinicals since they give us time during the school day to work on it. It is actually a great breather from regular classes, especially since I've had to make trips to talk to the community members which is a nice change of pace. And most groups are working with or at least communicating with real patients, which of course is a good thing!

I too do not want to do research when I graduate, but it's great to be a part of something like this while I have the chance. It furthers one's learning and develops teamwork and skills that will be needed as a physical therapist. Hope this helped. :)

Akiramay probably gave a great breakdown...we just got our research group assignments and haven't actually started the project yet. I proposed my own project (found faculty members to be my advisors) and so I've probably done a bit more work than other first years have thus far. This year we had 17 projects to choose from, so there was a good sampling of topics to pick from, ranging in estimated time/week from 1 hour to 8 hours. The choice is up to you. :)