Who would be better for an extra LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chagall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A very last-minute LOR, if even possible...I'm not even sure I have enough at this point, so it may become a necessary one. Two possibilities spring to mind: a professor I did summer research with in psychiatry about 3 yrs ago, but who at the time offered to write me a rec later on (haven't kept in touch, though!).

Or one of my attendings on my 3rd year surgery rotation with whom I got along well...he wrote on my eval that I had a good personality and interacted well with others. (It definitely wasn't my surgical skills he was complimenting). :confused: Neither looks so great, considering I'm applying in neuro!

Members don't see this ad.

it's october 22. if you're applying for this year, the better letter is whichever one you can get submitted first. if your application isn't complete (except for the MSPE) at this point, you're behind your competition.

it's october 22. if you're applying for this year, the better letter is whichever one you can get submitted first. if your application isn't complete (except for the MSPE) at this point, you're behind your competition.

Agreed, but my vote is 100% for the surgery letter. PD's in general care much more about your recent clinical performance.

Honest truth is you should ask for both, and then assign them in ERAS once they come in. Perhaps only one person will actually get around to writing a letter. Would suck if you asked the wrong person...

A very last-minute LOR, if even possible...I'm not even sure I have enough at this point, so it may become a necessary one. Two possibilities spring to mind: a professor I did summer research with in psychiatry about 3 yrs ago, but who at the time offered to write me a rec later on (haven't kept in touch, though!).

Or one of my attendings on my 3rd year surgery rotation with whom I got along well...he wrote on my eval that I had a good personality and interacted well with others. (It definitely wasn't my surgical skills he was complimenting). :confused: Neither looks so great, considering I'm applying in neuro!

Out of curiousity, what happened to 4th year? I guess I would expect a medicine letter or two and Neuro elective letters, maybe a Neuro chair letter. Why 3rd yr surgery? :confused: