Who went to the DBC meeting on Ab 1467 today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommyr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: I am wondering who among you went to the Dental Board Meeting of California today? I am wondering when they're going to make an official announcement. Hmm....

Members don't see this ad.

HI MOMMYR..WE WERE SUPPOSED TO KNOW TODAY , RIGHT..OR THERE IS ANOTHER WAITING PERIOD AFTER ALL

I went to Sacramento this afternoon to an official meeting of the California Dental Board?s Legislative Committee. This was not a meeting of the full Dental Board; it was meetings of various Committees of the Dental Board throughout the day. There wasn?t much discussion that was pertinent to foreign trained dentists. However, I do have to say that if you had been there, you would have gotten a real sense of the word ?duplicity?. (It means deceit, dishonesty or treachery.) One of the Board members was asked specifically about the status of the pending legislation and the Board?s position on AB 1467. The Board member?s answer was really a non-answer and almost seemed condescending. The fact of the matter remains that the Dental Board would prefer that the Bench Test had never been enacted in the first place. The main reason that AB 1467 is still languishing in the Legislature is that the Dental Board is obstructing its quick passage. Regardless of the disingenuous statements that you read on the official website of the California Dental Board, they do not support this bill and they are using stalling tactics to drag out the legislative process.

Andy Martinez told me earlier this week that the Board wants to insert additional language in AB 1467 to absolutely kill any potential extension of the law again in 2008. Assemblywoman Negrete-Mcleod is resisting the efforts of the Board to change AB 1467 to that extent. If you are counting on expedient passage of this legislation, I suggest you write to members of the Legislature and request that the bill be moved on to a final vote. As far as I know, there is still unanimous support amongst the Legislators for this bill. Tell the Legislators that the bill fulfills a need for quality dental care for all Californians from all cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

I did enjoy meeting dentists from Mexico, El Salvador and Peru at the meeting. None of them had ever heard of SDN. Two of the dentists, both male, are working as dental assistants here in the Bay area. It is interesting to note that there are probably many foreign trained dentists out there who have never heard of SDN. Importantly for Meggs, there are more Latinos than you thought.

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Dentisthusband
If you are counting on expedient passage of this legislation, I suggest you write to members of the Legislature and request that the bill be moved on to a final vote. As far as I know, there is still unanimous support amongst the Legislators for this bill. Tell the Legislators that the bill fulfills a need for quality dental care for all Californians from all cultural and ethnic backgrounds.

I think that part is really important, specially if the letters come from as diverse backgrounds as possible. Is important the the Legislators realize that dentist from very diverse races will benefit from this bill, and thus will fulfill the dental needs of its communities.

I wished there were more Hispanics SDN members who'll spread the voice around, to get their collegues waiting for the bench law, to unite and participate in meetings, letters, etc.
The same goes for the growing Eastern European population. Because those are part of the very vast CA inmigrant population, who are the least represented in CA dental schools.

It is interesting to note that there are probably many foreign trained dentists out there who have never heard of SDN.

We should do a recruiting campaing. :laugh: Chain letter anyone?? :laugh:

Importantly for Meggs, there are more Latinos than you thought.

Almost none of them in dental school, so...... what good does it makes? :rolleyes: (rolleyes is not for you, but rather to THE fact).

hi meggs;

i am trying to get as many people who i know r holding an international degree .in dentistry to get on to SDN as specially for this perticualr bill so we have more poeple who are aware of the happening s and aslo more suport as far as pushing the board when the bill pass's.

I forgot to mention that there was also a female dentist from Bulgaria at the Board meeting yesterday. She is married to another dentist from Bulgaria and her husband is currently licensed and practicing in California. So the population of hopeful candidates is more diverse than I suggested earlier.

Scott

HI DENTISTHUSBAND..CAN YOU TELL ME HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE VOTE FOR THE BILL THROUGH THE INTERNET

I have the same Q that how could I support this bill.
is there any website so that I can log in and to show them my support?

Originally posted by meggs

We should do a recruiting campaing. :laugh: Chain letter anyone?? :laugh:
What more saddening is that some dentists who know about SDN too donot participate in the discussions..:(

Originally posted by pinktooth
What more saddening is that some dentists who know about SDN too donot participate in the discussions..:( [/B]

You're right. :( :thumbdown:

i was wondering where is dentist husband..is he still waiting for the vote or the chance is gone already and there will be no more bench test!!!!!

hi gsmm;
i think u should be a little more paitient scott(dentisthusband ) will surely let us know a what we should do so that the bench takes place and aslo more than 2times a yr .as far as i know the bill has to be read again in the 2 houses and then arnold has to sign it and the cal dental board wants to add a clause so that the bench dose not extend any more than 2008b'cause of the budget and other few things as scott mentioned thebill has only been delayed.

i am sick of waiting for that stupid bill..i already waited a long time and i am starting to beilieve there will be no more RT exam..if the bill did not pass this legislative meeting..it shall never be introduced again..or may be after a couple of years , by that time all of us will be enrolled in a 2 year program..

hi gsmm;
i can understand yr furstattion we all r sailing in the same boat but the only thing we can do right now is wait and watch ...hope for the best .as far as my knowlege goes it has been passed by the asssmenbly unanimously , but it has only to be read once more and signed thats it .....

i can relate to the frustration. i guess we all sacrificed a lot in terms of time away from family, lost income, limited or no resources... it's not easy working as a dental assistant earning a modest salary and just watching another dentist do the work knowing we are capable as well but i guess that's the price to pay for leaving our country...

it's not an easy situation esp. bec. it takes money to keep applying to dental schools ( i applied here at the university of toronto and i have unsucessfully been trying for the last 2 years!),studying to get a competitive score demands time away from our spouses and kids and lost income... it's a difficult balance but I am still hopefull...

any more definitive updates on ab 1467 is appreciated esp. from those with reliable sources inside...

right now i am thinking of looking for a higher paying job but will feel guilty if i had to quit in a short time to prepare for the bench in case i get a slot...in the meantime our lives seem to be on hold and it is overwhelming...

my score in ADA part 1 is 82 and part 2 is 83. my gpa is pathetic so i am wondering what my chances are of getting into a US school given i am only a canadian resident...

i don't like the weather here in canada and canada itself but it's easier to apply for residency here so...

i'm turning 29 next month, i feel so old!

mommyr ..i really know what u feel about the whole thing but i dont know whats the problem of turning 29:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D

Hi All,

I spoke with Andy Martinez yesterday afternoon and I will post the info on the original Foreign Trained Dentists thread. And to GSMM, I understand your frustration. My wife has been working on this process for 4 years and she is pretty sick and tired of waiting for a resolution just like you.

Scott