This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilylovex3

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm applying to Counseling Psych. PhD and Clinical Psych. PsyD programs. I would appreciate your input on recommendation letters.

Do you think it is better to ask for letters from set A or set B:
Set A) a mentor/professor, work supervisor, and professor who I have good relationships with/know pretty well. But they have master's degrees in counseling and not Ph.Ds.
Set B) the same mentor/professor with a master's and two professors with PhDs. I did very well in those classes with the two professors but I don't have a close relationship with them. We're just friendly to each other!

While both sets would be positive, I feel like set A would write stronger recommendation letters, which is a plus. However, set B comes from professors with PhDs which doctoral admissions committees might prefer to see-- I just don't know if the letters would have enough details or specifics.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If a LOR can only say that you got an A in Abnormal and Social Psych and you were pleasant to have in class, that’s not going to do much to support your candidacy because it’s basically assumed that everybody applying meets this standard. So if that’s all a prospective PhD LORs could say, you might be better off having a non-PhD who can speak to desirable characteristics such as conscientious, work ethic, ability to balance multiple demands in a professional context, etc.

Ideally, you’ll have at least 1 letter from a PhD who can speak to your research experience/contributions and can discuss your future potential. Programs will differ on how much research experience they expect but it’s widely expected that everybody will have something.

If you’re missing this, you may need some additional prep before you can get into a doc program successfully (or at least a reputable one that will adequately prepare you for success as a psychologist). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If a LOR can only say that you got an A in Abnormal and Social Psych and you were pleasant to have in class, that’s not going to do much to support your candidacy because it’s basically assumed that everybody applying meets this standard. So if that’s all a prospective PhD LORs could say, you might be better off having a non-PhD who can speak to desirable characteristics such as conscientious, work ethic, ability to balance multiple demands in a professional context, etc.

Ideally, you’ll have at least 1 letter from a PhD who can speak to your research experience/contributions and can discuss your future potential. Programs will differ on how much research experience they expect but it’s widely expected that everybody will have something.

If you’re missing this, you may need some additional prep before you can get into a doc program successfully (or at least a reputable one that will adequately prepare you for success as a psychologist). Good luck!
Thanks for your helpful advice! So I re-thought about my potential LOR writers.

What do you think if I got LOR from 1) Research PI/faculty at an Ivy League school where I was a project coordinator for a year. 2) professor/mentor whom I had 2 classes with although they only have a master's degree 3) my current work supervisor (not related to psych) who knows i'm able to balance multiple demands and always encourages me to get a phd

What do you think if I got LOR from 1) Research PI/faculty at an Ivy League school where I was a project coordinator for a year. 2) professor/mentor whom I had 2 classes with although they only have a master's degree 3) my current work supervisor (not related to psych) who knows i'm able to balance multiple demands and always encourages me to get a phd
Sounds like that’s probably best based on who you have available. I’d recommend having direct conversations with the 2 non-PhDs about what qualities and observed, specific examples of these traits you’d like them to speak to (which parallel your personal statement) to help them focus and perhaps avoid general declarations that might reinforce the fact that they aren’t psychologists.

I haven’t been involved with doc admissions (but have reviewed internship and postdoc apps) and the general trend I’ve observed that is LORs usually take a backseat to CV and then personal statement (unless the reviewer knows the letter writer or the letter writer is genuinely renowned in the field).

Reactions: 1 user