who matched into ENT this yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utdoc05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if whoever matched into ENT prgrams this year would mind posting a little about their app -- step1 score, grades, how good their med school is, aways or not, things they learned on the interview trail, step2 and anything else that would be might be good to know. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Can I piggy back a few questions?

Could somebody please add some input on research?

Just started my 3rd year and have no Otolaryngology research, which appears to be a must have for the match. All I have is a poster for a cardiac anesthesiology basic science research I did between year 1 and 2 of med school. And some insect genetics research from undergrad (probably not worth adding to my app since I didn't publish).

I second all of the above. And I have one question:

What if our home institution does no ENT research? At all. Nothing. We don't have a residency program either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Read the stickies in this forum, they are super helpful.

And AggieSean, obviously wait to get more advice from residents/attendings on this board, but I have an idea for your issue. Away rotations for ENT will be super important, and for research, maybe doing something in facial reconstruction via plastic surgery/OMFS if that is available at your institution. Maybe even neurology research for dizziness.

i think you're not going to get a good sampling here on SDN in terms of what scores and grades you need. take a look at the most recent charting the outcomes of the match from aamc. that should give you a good idea. avg step 1 is prob around low 240's now and about 1/3 of applicants are AOA. almost everyone has some sort of research. research does not equal publications, though. obviously it's great if you can get published but it's hard to do, especially when you're in med school. i met a lot of people on the trail this past year who had research but not publications. obviously some programs highly value pubs and that is a significant criterion for those places, but i found that most places are happy enough with applications showing the dedication and interest to at least involve themselves in research.

for those who do not have an ENT program at your school, that kind of stinks, to be honest. if anything, you really want to make relationships with attending otolaryngologists so you can get letters of rec. i think that's the biggest negative of not having a home program. if you cannot make contacts with attendings during your third year, then i think it's of paramount importance for you to do an away rotation right at the beginning of 4th year. letters are a huge deal, prob more important than research, i'd have to guess.

for those of you worried about research, you don't have to have breakthrough basic science pubs. case reports aren't great, but they're something. if anything, it really shouldn't be difficult to get involved in some retrospective chart reviews. this is totally doable as a third year student. don't discount research you've already done that's not in ENT. that is not worthless. the key is to be able to discuss it intelligently and concisely at interviews.

lastly, i'm an advocate of away rotations. i did one and matched at that program. also, almost every person from my med school who matched in ENT matched at the place where they rotated. just make sure you do a good job. easier said than done. show your interest without being annoying (some people don't get this). be smart about things (read.. a lot). be helpful (have tongue blades on rounds... change dressings...). be professional, but also be likeable... one thing you're being judged on is how well you will fit in with the current residents/attendings.

none of this is novel, but hopefully it's helpful. best of luck.

thanks for the input so far, I know the charting outcomes for the match has a lot of info but as of right now it only has it for 2009, the 2010 stats are simply # applied and that got in etc but no step scores etc. Plus it is also nice to see what people have done that isnt described by those publications as well as helpful hints they learned along with the app process.

aggiesean and badass funny to see us all migrate from the step1 forum...

And yea if you look around there are threads where people have posted scores and what not from yrs back, I was just looking to make a thread for those that matched in 2010 to pass along their advice to the 3rd/4th yrs looking into ENT since it seems every yr ENT is getting more competitive

It's pretty easy to get some form of retrospective clinical research going during third year. There's time to crunch charts on the weekends. I didn't decide I wanted to do ORL until sept/oct of third year and I'll have (crossing fingers) two retrospective studies submitted by the time I apply this year, and I didn't feel particularly swamped by those projects.

Some great advice I got from attendings was to milk the work you do for all its worth to. If you do a study, apply for a small grant, it legitimizes the study in case you don't make it to publication in time. Try to get slotted to present your prelim findings at the department grand rounds. Then submit it as a poster to triological or AOA and try to get a presentation there. Case reports are good CV padding stuff that's worthwhile but fairly fast to bang out.