Who manages other medical issues on neurology service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ghfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do neurology residents manage general medical issues on their patients on a neurology service such as insulin for diabetics or Atrial Fibrillation, antibiotics etc? Are they generally comfortable managing non neurological conditions?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the program and the culture, to some degree. We certainly did, where I trained. Complicated cases warrant consults, but routine medical issues should be manageable for a neurology resident.

This will even vary attending to attending at an institution. It depends on what the condition is and how comfortable someone feels managing it.

Now the REAL fights ensue when you ask the age old question- Neurology primary with medicine consulting or medicine primary with neurology consulting?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the program where I rotated, it felt like the senior residents were not keen on dealing with overly-mediciney issues. Possibly because they had by then forgotten stuff from prelim year...There would always be a question of transferring to Medicine, which was never all that easy. Certainly it seemed like the residents dealt with their own pt's anticoag and DM issues to a degree. Neuro pts by definition cannot be "medically clear" before they're admitted to the service, unless/unlike psych inpatients!

SO true....I remember everything IM related from intern year, but I'd rather not get called at 3AM because my patient's glucose is 180. Honestly that's a significant part of why I went into neurology - so I'm not a glorified nurse

At my hospital, neuro consults from medicine are waaaay more common than us consulting medicine. we will consult usu when there are multiple med issues that are becoming increasingly complex, not for afib or dm (they would laugh at us). on the other hand, medicine consults neuro for basic things like AMS in a septic patient, probably because ppl somehow think it's ok to "hate" or "not know" any neurology.

I consulted medicine for pretty much anything by the end of my residency. Our services (both general and stroke) were so heavy that I didnt' feel bad. Neuro was a big admitting service for our hospital.

DM? Call medicine. Weird rhythm? Call cardiology. They're in the ICU? Call pulmonary.

I didn't start out that way, but it actually became something of a necessity as time went by. Of course, the other services did the same. AMS/seizure/headache/neuropathy/ or r/o stroke for essentially any oddness. It was all good. I didnt' mind the consults so much.

I consulted medicine for pretty much anything by the end of my residency. Our services (both general and stroke) were so heavy that I didnt' feel bad. Neuro was a big admitting service for our hospital.

DM? Call medicine. Weird rhythm? Call cardiology. They're in the ICU? Call pulmonary.

I didn't start out that way, but it actually became something of a necessity as time went by. Of course, the other services did the same. AMS/seizure/headache/neuropathy/ or r/o stroke for essentially any oddness. It was all good. I didnt' mind the consults so much.

It's called Buff and Turf, right? :)