who makes up your rotation group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr M T Head

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when say you are on surgery rotation, who is in your group? I mean who does the rounding, surgeries with you. Are there more 3rd years with you and the higher ups or is it like one-3rd yr per team? If so how does everyone fit around the surgery table?

Members don't see this ad.

On Ortho, I did roundings on my own and reported to my attending later in the day. Some surgeries it may be just you and the surgeon, others your sole purpose is to be retractor boy/girl and be made fun of during the entire surgery.

In-patient medicine - one attending, one PGY2 resident, two interns and two M3s.

Members don't see this ad :)
when say you are on surgery rotation, who is in your group? I mean who does the rounding, surgeries with you. Are there more 3rd years with you and the higher ups or is it like one-3rd yr per team? If so how does everyone fit around the surgery table?

It all depends on the service and how busy it is. The basic pattern will be will be an attending, an upper level resident, intern(s), and a student(s) . . . for instance if you're the student and you're doing something laid back like renal you could have the bare minimum attending, resident or intern and student (you). Some very busy surgery services could have you rounding with the Attening, (maybe a fellow), Chief (PGY5 or PGY4 usually), an upper level (PGY3 or PGY2), two-three interns, a SubI, and two-three M3s.

It all depends in the OR too. The number of people in the OR tends to be predicated on how interesting/rare the case is - dibs on cases is by seniority. But you can usually scrub in and watch even if you're not actively involved. For simple stuff like hernia repairs it will probably be the attending, the intern (if his floor work is done), and you - you'll get to close the skin on these if they like you. Something cool like a whipple, you'll be lucky if you can even look in the laporotomy, as you retract from around the mess of people who are around the table checking out the action.

EDIT: surgery also tends to have more of a hierarchy, as the student talk to the intern first. Don't bother a Chief in the OR about a low K for instance, talk to your intern. If your intern is scrubbed into a case, he may ask you to look for someone higher up the food chain who is not in the OR.

On medicine, if you see a lab value that bothers you, you can easilly tell anyone on the team.

Last edited:
The answer to this question will probably vary a lot, I believe first aid for the wards gives a pretty good description of the teams. Here's how it was for me:

Surgery (I was on the biggest team, but we virtually never had more than one MS3 per OR unless they needed us to do something like hold up the patient's leg during a 45 minute debridement...not as bad as it sounds) -
Rounds: 3 MS3s + 2 interns + PGY-2 + senior resident
OR: 1 MS3 + 1 attending +/- PGY-2 or senior resident (or sometimes an intern) per OR

Medicine -
Senior rounds: 2 MS3s + 3 interns + senior resident
Attending rounds: attending + senior resident + 2 MS3s (depending on whether we had work to do)

We had 4 M3s, an M4, an intern, a mid-level resident, and a chief. We covered 20-40 patients (pretty busy service, but the most each student carried at a time was 8 if it was busy and someone was off). A procedure usually had two residents and a student, with the attending popping in to do the real cutting or just check in if it was something light. We'd round with the residents every day, but attending rounds were at most 2/week.

Well if its only one MS3 per team then why does everyone complain about being shown up by a gunner?

Well if its only one MS3 per team then why does everyone complain about being shown up by a gunner?

It's rare to have one. If you read the posts above the norm is 2-4. And you don't get to pick, it's pretty random. Which can be cool -- you get to work with folks you never really knew during the first two years. Or it could be uncool, because there might have been a reason you never bothered to get to know those people.:laugh: