Who is this forum for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugaree

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum is littered with bitterness and complaints from posters who are NOT RN's NP's and PA's and are interested in bashing other people's professions, especially nursing.

I came here looking for information and I find unmoderated ignorance, arrogance, and cruel comments about the professions that this forum is supposed to be supportive of.

Is there a reason why SDN administrators allow this? The pervasiveness of this attitude all over the forums, and not only here, makes it appear it is an institutionally acceptable practice and supported by SDN administrators. Unfortunately it makes a very bad impression on the whole organization.

I mostly look here for information, and have only posted a few times and felt compelled to ask/comment about this. It is very striking - especially the hatred consistently expressed toward the nursing profession. The tone of the comments, even those posted by SND moderators, who are primarily MD's, override the actual information in their comments and communicate a clear message of fear and being threatened by the very professions that are being "denegrated."

It's too bad because you are only damaging your own credibility and the credibility of the SDN organization.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your chin up. Not everyone here hates nurses. I've been a member here for a long time, long enough to remember when some of the "Attendings" here were first year "Residents." You just have to roll with the punches.

There are some pretty good people here. Take some time to get to know the site a little better.

Members don't see this ad :)
This forum is littered with bitterness and complaints from posters who are NOT RN's NP's and PA's and are interested in bashing other people's professions, especially nursing.

I came here looking for information and I find unmoderated ignorance, arrogance, and cruel comments about the professions that this forum is supposed to be supportive of.

Is there a reason why SDN administrators allow this? The pervasiveness of this attitude all over the forums, and not only here, makes it appear it is an institutionally acceptable practice and supported by SDN administrators. Unfortunately it makes a very bad impression on the whole organization.

I mostly look here for information, and have only posted a few times and felt compelled to ask/comment about this. It is very striking - especially the hatred consistently expressed toward the nursing profession. The tone of the comments, even those posted by SND moderators, who are primarily MD's, override the actual information in their comments and communicate a clear message of fear and being threatened by the very professions that are being "denegrated."

It's too bad because you are only damaging your own credibility and the credibility of the SDN organization.

I don't know what (specifically) you're griping about here, but please consider the possibility that if nurses like you didn't troll physician forums with inane comments like this one, you might be received more warmly.

I don't know what (specifically) you're griping about here, but please consider the possibility that if nurses like you didn't troll physician forums with inane comments like this one, you might be received more warmly.

That's so cliched it's funny.

OP, it's not that bad and there are good conversations here. Look, the farmville comments can get a little old, but you need to remember people come here to decompress and blow off a little steam.

In addition, you can find people who are very helpful and may even make you appreciate another viewpoint that you would not have considered. I've actually been communicating with a person who has a chem degree and is currently premed. This person helped me out quite a bit when I was struggling through some of the basic quantum mechanics of the atom.

Edit:

Fab, you are dating yourself again. :D

Excuse me? You have no idea who I am, and you just proved my point.

Then maybe this site isn't for you. There are quite a few nurses who get on here with no problems. You may just not be one of them. SDN isn't going to change for you. It is what it is. You need to learn to work with it or walk away.

Paseo: Clarification please. I haven't had that first cup of coffee. :D

Paseo: Clarification please. I haven't had that first cup of coffee. :D

You start to date your self when you realise how many doctors you've seen grow up during your career. I never worked around medical students and residents all that much, but had a similar situation occur fairly recently. Had a really quiet guy in his early twenties who was a PA student rotate through one of the ER's I worked at some years back.

The other day, I took a flight out of a rural ER, and to my surprise, I was met by a PA who was taking care of the patient. He gave me report and reviewed the labs and x-rays with me. He was the quiet PA student I saw some year ago.

You start to date your self when you realise how many doctors you've seen grow up during your career. I never worked around medical students and residents all that much, but had a similar situation occur fairly recently. Had a really quiet guy in his early twenties who was a PA student rotate through one of the ER's I worked at some years back.

The other day, I took a flight out of a rural ER, and to my surprise, I was met by a PA who was taking care of the patient. He gave me report and reviewed the labs and x-rays with me. He was the quiet PA student I saw some year ago.

Ah, now I see. I looked at my membership date and saw that I joined here 8 years ago!

Im not a nurse, not that it should it matter. A person has to be a nurse to notice the vitriol spewed all over this site? Was making an observation and wondering why a professional/pre-professional organization would condone that kind of crap.

Ah, now I see. I looked at my membership date and saw that I joined here 8 years ago!
yup, I'm at 9 yrs ( 8/2001).
I've had the experience of working with an interpreter, encouraging him to go to medschool, precepting him as an intern and then having him as my attending. nice guy. doesn't forget where he came from and who got him there.

Im not a nurse, not that it should it matter. A person has to be a nurse to notice the vitriol spewed all over this site? Was making an observation and wondering why a professional/pre-professional organization would condone that kind of crap.

Not sure where the "vitriol" is all over this site. The comments and complaints vary very, very widely depending on which forum on this site you are on "Pre-med" "medical student" resident" "optomotrist" have all different types of heated and biased discussions. Examples include:

Pre-med: Why do URMs have an advantage in the admissions, costs, MCAT
Medical Student: Debt, minutia, boards
Residents: work hours, colleagues, etc
Optomotrist: scope of practice, licensing

This is just a sample. Although there are heated discussions, useful information can be found on any forum. So, in classic 'SDN' style, I am going to tell you to stop your bitching and grow up. Each forum will give you different perspectives and present you with different opinions than you're use to. This is good; it will expand your horizons.

Additionally, that same "vitriol" (aka I really think you mean "bull****") you talk about can be found everywhere (almost any site that has "discussions" again, I am puzzles why you are surprised about this) including here:

http://allnurses.com/main.php

You should bookmark this thread and come back to it after you've finished medical school +/- residency. I suspect the inane comments frequently excreted by militant nurses on the SDN forums may taste differently to you then.

Sorry I mistook you for a nurse. Good luck with your applications. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to the OP's query, "Who is this forum for?":

This forum was designed as a transition for those coming from a:thumbdown: RN/NP/PA background into medicine as a physician; hence the descriptor:

"Forums for doc and pre-doc students with backgrounds in the health professions." It was not designed to be a forum for nurses and PAs.

That being said, it has drawn career nurses and PAs who have no intention of going to medical school. Most of them are welcome here (except Fab4fan as she is getting entirely too old to be around here ;) ).

SDN is first and foremost a site for physicians. We have expanded our core communities to include other professions; nursing is not a core community and there will be frustration here from medical professionals directed toward nurses. I agree...it puts us in a bad light. But SDN was not designed as a PC advertisement for physicians and we have to allow users to vent. After all, allnurses allows the same thing as do plenty of other specialty sites. Its the nature of the high pressure world we all work in.

But believe it or not, most of us enjoy our interactions with each other and recognize the value you bring to patient care.

SDN is not responsible for the postings of its individuals members and users should not see those posts as representative of SDN and its communities/staff at large.

...SDN is not responsible for the postings of its individuals members and users should not see those posts as representative of SDN and its communities/staff at large.

gotta love lawyers...

This forum was designed as a transition for those coming from a:thumbdown: RN/NP/PA background into medicine as a physician; hence the descriptor:

"Forums for doc and pre-doc students with backgrounds in the health professions." It was not designed to be a forum for nurses and PAs.

That being said, it has drawn career nurses and PAs who have no intention of going to medical school. Most of them are welcome here (except Fab4fan as she is getting entirely too old to be around here ;) ).

SDN is first and foremost a site for physicians. We have expanded our core communities to include other professions; nursing is not a core community and there will be frustration here from medical professionals directed toward nurses. I agree...it puts us in a bad light. But SDN was not designed as a PC advertisement for physicians and we have to allow users to vent. After all, allnurses allows the same thing as do plenty of other specialty sites. Its the nature of the high pressure world we all work in.

But believe it or not, most of us enjoy our interactions with each other and recognize the value you bring to patient care.

SDN is not responsible for the postings of its individuals members and users should not see those posts as representative of SDN and its communities/staff at large.

Maybe you should have a "Member Emeritus" forum.

Sugaree: I don't see much disrespect toward the nursing profession, or to nurses, here on these boards. However, there is a great deal of animosity towards the small (vocal) minority of NPs who are continually pushing for equality (equal pay, equal stature, and equal independence) with physicians.

Most folks here know a good nurse is worth her/his weight in gold.

One thing this forum is good for is the sheer entertainment value it provides. Between the postings of Taurus and others, and general witty repartee between the posters, I read this and other SDN forums much more than allnurses.

Actually, I gave up on allnurses, because it has degenerated into "she was mean to me!" postings.

oldiebutgoodie (RN, soon to be an evil NP ready to take over the universe!)

So you're not a nurse, but you have no profile online, so we can only guess what it is you do that makes everyone you work with get pissed off at you. From reading your other posts you are a self-professed "non traditional" med school applicant (the bitterness shows), and now for some reason you feel the need to start a thread in the "clinician" section to bitch about how everyone else talks to each other in an anonymous forum?

Maybe this somewhat pompous attitude, irritating demeanor, and entitlement mentality shows through in the med school interview process. I interview potential employees all the time - some are stellar on paper and wouldn't last a day in my practice.

Sugaree:

Don't take it to heart. This isn't a nursing forum, all of us nurses know that. Speaking only for myself, all nurses is a little lacking. I don't have much time to post online, but when I do I look for thoughtful ideas that challenge my comfort zone. I ignore the few that clearly were abused by their nurse mothers, lol. People who might appear overly critical of some nurses or some aspects of nursing often have strong points, and I think we can take something positive from their observations. I enjoy the discourse. If I want warm fuzzies and cyber hugs, I email my Mom.

First of all, I am not a nurse, and I plan to be a doctor. It is remarkable that someone who notices or questions animosity toward RN and those related professions would be assumed to be - a nurse or in that genre. That is not the point at all, to defend a profession, that is no way necessary they don't need me to do that they have years of excellent and professional service to back them up.

Other than that - thanks for your response. I really do believe the animosity on this site is noteable, and noticed by others as I have heard people remark about it off-site and refer pre-med students elsewhere for their discussions due to "a lot of heavy-handed opinions supported by the SDN administration.". And it does put a bad cast over the SDN organization. There is no reason to cast dispersion on an entire profession because of a few idiots who might shoot their mouths off comparing themselves to doctors or lawyers or whatever.

Some of you claim that the vitriol is few and far between, but I beg to differ. I look on the resident threads frequently as I search for knowledge about my possible future profession, and I can promise you the negativity expressed on several of those, in particular, has had a potent effect on my feelings toward such a specialty. It is a real turn off - some of the stuff I have seen. Its true that there are just as many foolish docs as there are nurses, firemen, PA's bankers, teacher and lawyers.

that is my only point. I am not a fool and I understand how to put things in perspective and can see that it is mainly a handful of posters that do the majority of the obsessive and hateful postings. But it is still very widespread, especially in the areas that a doc may feel "threatened" for their job security. Maybe we should smarten up about this and instead of attempting to discredit those we feel "threatened" by by spending hours counting credits and clinical exposure, etc. (it just happens to be nurses, I think it has more to do with the perceived threat than the specific profession, it just happens to be CRNA and DNP and PA and NP, etc.)

So you're not a nurse, but you have no profile online, so we can only guess what it is you do that makes everyone you work with get pissed off at you. From reading your other posts you are a self-professed "non traditional" med school applicant (the bitterness shows), and now for some reason you feel the need to start a thread in the "clinician" section to bitch about how everyone else talks to each other in an anonymous forum?

Maybe this somewhat pompous attitude, irritating demeanor, and entitlement mentality shows through in the med school interview process. I interview potential employees all the time - some are stellar on paper and wouldn't last a day in my practice.

You know nothing about me but thanks for sharing your uneducated opinion anyway, and being more bitchy than I could have hoped for, personal attacks is what makes this forum a bore.

You should bookmark this thread and come back to it after you've finished medical school +/- residency. I suspect the inane comments frequently excreted by militant nurses on the SDN forums may taste differently to you then.

Sorry I mistook you for a nurse. Good luck with your applications. :)

I am "complaining" because it makes SDN look bad when the administrators support this stuff and even post likewise ON THIS SPECIFIC THREAD. Posting negative comments on other forums is also a turn off, but that is your own business. This is not a thread for you who are already finished medical school and seek to disparage others in other professions.

Its pathetic and ugly and Im just saying its a real turn off. Go bitch about nurses on the residents forum, if you must.

sugaree, the non-nurse nurse...

I also could not tell anyone I was applying to medical school. First of all, the allied medical profession that I was involved in hates, as in will not even speak to me, it when one of "their own" has the nerve to want more for themselves. (they don't like doctors, in general)

If I mentioned my aspirations, I would not have been offered a job, and was not ultimately because word got out... And now I had to keep my mouth shut until recently when I told my two docs I work with because I wanted to shadow them and be on their radar. They understand that my manager can't be part of the game. It is SOOOO stupid in my opinion but people can be very petty and resentful. I have faced that a lot. It has hindered my efforts to get jobs and be in positions that allow me to learn from the physicians I work with.

This is not typically a problem faced by those right out of college. It makes it very difficult for us. I was told that the committee was "suspicious" because I did not have a letter of recommendation from my supervisor at my current job. I told the man who met with me (post rejection) that if I had asked for a letter I would not longer have the job. I also explained to him that it is very difficult for those of us in professional positions applying to medical school to get on-the-job support and letters even from physicians we work with since too much contact with the physicians makes others suspicious. That's what happened to me, my boss found out and it cost me getting a full-time staff position where I am currently only PRN.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10018337#post10018337

Damn, you mean this site is not moderated!

And your point is what? Its really none of your business what I do for a living and not an issue. It says no where in that post that I am a nurse. Do you really have to reach that far to make yourself feel smart?

I never asked what you did for a living. Besides, why would I? You already told us. Now please, carry-on pretending we don't see through your charade.

I never asked what you did for a living. Besides, why would I? You already told us. Now please, carry-on pretending we don't see through your charade.

:thumbup:

sugaree there's nothing wrong with being a nurse. There are a handful of nurses on this site preparing for med school. But lying about it in order to make your point seem more "valid" is shallow and pathetic.

Ok so maybe you let your credentials expire... still doubtful.

:thumbup:

sugaree there's nothing wrong with being a nurse. There are a handful of nurses on this site preparing for med school. But lying about it in order to make your point seem more "valid" is shallow and pathetic.

Ok so maybe you let your credentials expire... still doubtful.

I'm sure sugaree's profile at allnurses is also just a coincidence. :smuggrin:

Nicely played.

Why are people so clueless?

It's amazing. Ten more minutes and I bet I could find the poor girl's eHarmony. I'll spare her though.

Nicely played.

Why are people so clueless?

I dont know why "sideways" is so clueless. That is not me on that all nurses forum, one which I never knew existed in the first place.

The point is, a lot of you posters on here are rude and unprofessional - go post somewhere else where your opinions are respected.

I dont know why "sideways" is so clueless. That is not me on that all nurses forum, one which I never knew existed in the first place.

The point is, a lot of you posters on here are rude and unprofessional - go post somewhere else where your opinions are respected.

You're the one who came here crying in your cornflakes. If you don't like it here, go somewhere where you feel more comfortable. Many of us have managed to get on just fine here.

Other than that - thanks for your response. I really do believe the animosity on this site is noteable, and noticed by others as I have heard people remark about it off-site and refer pre-med students elsewhere for their discussions due to "a lot of heavy-handed opinions supported by the SDN administration.". And it does put a bad cast over the SDN organization. There is no reason to cast dispersion on an entire profession because of a few idiots who might shoot their mouths off comparing themselves to doctors or lawyers or whatever.

I am "complaining" because it makes SDN look bad when the administrators support this stuff and even post likewise ON THIS SPECIFIC THREAD. Posting negative comments on other forums is also a turn off, but that is your own business. This is not a thread for you who are already finished medical school and seek to disparage others in other professions.

Do you care to provide evidence of where Admins support "heavy handed opinions" and in particular, where I (since I presume you are referring to me in the second quote above), support nurse bashing?

SDN is owned and operated by physicians. As a group of Admins there is no wholesale support of bashing of other specialities. What there is, is a recognition that our core member group are physicians and students in doctorate level health programs and that we provide a service to them. A little venting is healthy. If a post is over the top and gets reported, if it violates the TOS, action is taken. Its a simple as that - we don't "support" anything except educated and sometimes fun discourse.

Oh and BTW, you may or may not be the same "sugaree" on allnurses.com but your IP, and other identifying information match to a banned user who had the same curious MO as you. Anyone remember mooshika?

Since it is a TOS violation to reregister after being banned, this is goodbye sugaree.

ohsnap1.jpg

Actually, I gave up on allnurses, because it has degenerated into "she was mean to me!" postings.

No, we are just mean to them because they are young, fast, popular with men and too beautiful.

Fab, have you been stealing my bifocals - they're missing. Or maybe I misplaced them during the "lockdown".

No, we are just mean to them because they are young, fast, popular with men and too beautiful.

Fab, have you been stealing my bifocals - they're missing. Or maybe I misplaced them during the "lockdown".

I can't see with the darned things, so I'm still using el cheapo reading glasses. I even tried those multi-focal contact lenses; man I was as blind as a bat with them.

I thought about you when I heard that. Horrible situation. It's getting scary out there. Pretty soon body armor will be part of the uniform requirement.