Who is the leader in knee (spec. ACL) surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
me. but i'm booked solid through 2020. sorry

Don't really know if this question is appropirately phrased. I'm curious if anyone knows who is the leader in these types of surgeries (ACL).

I know all hospitals have their specialties. Is there one or a few that are at the forefront of ACL repair.

If you've worked in a particular hospital that has a very strong ACL reconstruction program please let me know.

Or if you know the name of the doctor who is considered the king or queen of ACL surgery in the USA (don't know if such a person exists).

thanks!

You should look up Dr. Bach at Rush in Chicago (http://www.rushortho.com/Bernard_Bach.cfm)

Members don't see this ad :)
Richard Steadman...I think he's out in North Carolina now...he was in Vail. Michael Owen, a soccer player for the England National Team, tore his ACL in the last World Cup and flew all the way here just to be seen by Dr. Steadman.

At the same time...Drs. Fu and Bach are also world-renown. What I heard was that Andrews specializes in shoulders (esp baseball), but he did Donovan McNabb's, so I don't know.

There is a Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail,CO and there is a Steadman-Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas now in South Carolina. Richard Steadman is still in Vail. Richard Hawkins has been in SC since 2004. Owen was treated by Steadman, so he flew out to CO.

Where do you live? I can help point you in the right direction. There are plenty of great surgeons out there.

Dr. John Hurley in Morristown, NJ has done some of the Devil's knees.

I'll throw rodeo out there. When I was doing research at HSS he was talked about a fair amount regarding acl repairs/grafts

Steadman in Colorado and the Delee/Evans/Schmidt group out of San Antonio.

-Mike

ACL surgery is considered to be one of the surgeries that most general orthops should be able to do. more important than the surgery is the rehab and rehab protocol. most cities have very good to great sports (acl) surgeons. you should ask who is the guy/girl locally.

then names mentioned are nationally recognized names. if you want name and centers of the who's who in sport medicine, here are some.

Fu (Pitt)
Bach (Rush)
Wjotys (Michigan)
Harner (Pitt)
Matava (Wash U.)
Andrews (Andrew/clancy center)
Warren, wickiwicz (HSS)

i could keep going, but i don't thing it is the point. the surgery is simple. there are some controversies, double bundle vs single bundle, rehab protocols, graft types, etc. that is why you go to the centers or if you get paid millions of dollars. for the average joe, it is probably not necessary.