Who is applying for FP this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOtobe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone besides me? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Me too. :)

I have a really hard time finding out what makes a good program. Is that a common phenomenon with other FP applicants? I guess I'm looking for an unopposed program that will teach me "everything" but what else should one look for?

I relied mainly on word of mouth as well as wanting to stay in a certain area when I applied for residencies. I only applied to 5 programs, and all of them are in the Pittsburgh area. All of them are small community hospitals, and I have heard good things about all of them. Plus I rotated through 2 of the 5 hospitals I applied to to get an idea of how the programs are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying. I also don't really know what to look for in a program. There're sooo many programs with varying levels of competition and environment and features that there really isn't a perfect program.

My definition of a good program is if they have everything I want. But right now, I don't even know what that is... do I want large or small OB numbers? Do I want county or private hospitals? Do I want university or private attendings? Do I want lots of Peds or not? Do I want to be close to home? How far out from civilization is ok for me?

Who knows... I'm pretty much going to wait for interviews to really decide. It'll come down to gut anyways, for me, and so I'm not going to stress out too much about it.

I've been researching based on states I want to be in then word of mouth programs and surfing through websites.

Hey all, just for perspective I am a recent grad of the University of Minnesota and am an FP intern at Iowa Lutheran in Des Moines, Iowa.
I went through the same thing you guys are last year it is a hard decision but after 4 months of residency here is what I think makes a good program.
1) Unopposed. I believe that the only way to be well trained is to not have to compete for patients and procedures if your the only game in town you are going to do it.
2) Call. Alot of programs seem to be going to night float but remember now with the new ACGME rules you get post-call afternoons off which is really nice and you miss out on if on night-float. My program is overnight in-house call which I like. Also if a program is home call this is sometimes not counted into ACGME hours thus no post-call afternoon off.
3) OB. Everyone may not do OB but you will certainly see pregnant patients make sure OB rotations don't just provide deliveries you want to be comfortable with prenatal care and complications. My residency runs a free clinic and we manage all the prenatal care for a large group of women.
4)Salary and Benefits. Loan payments aren't cheap and some programs pay better than others. Also be aware of moonlighting available my clinic has afterhours from 5-8 which residents work for moonlighting good money and very convienent. Also in Des Moines there are numerous small town ERs in surrounding communities that provide moonlighting opportunities. One word on benefits check and see if you have a medical insurance plan or if it is that care is only free at the hospital you work. You want to be covered by a policy when you are traveling and away from home.
5) Procedures. When you get into practice procedures=money so it is in your best interest to be trained in as many as you can including vasectomies, colposcopy, OB U/S, circumcision, simple skin lesion removal, emergency procedures (chest tube, intubation, ect.) possibly colonoscopy.
6) Residency comraderie. It will be a long three years if you don't like where you are or the people you work with. Go with your gut I did and am truly enjoying my residency.
7) Have fun.
That is my 2 cents so good luck to all and for any of those interested in coming to Iowa you can PM me.

Thanks for your advice, msparkysteffen! :thumbup:

My first interview is on Thursday - I'm kinda nervous :scared:

msparkysteffen said:
That is my 2 cents so good luck to all and for any of those interested in coming to Iowa you can PM me.

Great post! :thumbup:

Instead of PMing you, I'll just ask here (lord knows this forum could use the traffic...). I'm applying to programs in Iowa. I would like to know your opinion (or whatever you've heard) about the programs in Waterloo and Mason City. I haven't gone to a single interview yet, but right now the one in Mason city (Mercy) seems to be my favorite program/place (or our favorite; my wife has a say in this, too). Maybe it was just that the coordinator was so damn nice on the phone.

I did get an interview from Mayo in Des Moines but I don't think I'll go. We're Wisconsin-based and Des Moines is just too far for us. I'm sure Des Moines is a cool place, though, and I liked your description of how you're able to work in EDs around town.

Your interview trail from last year may overlap mine. Did you go to any programs in Wisconsin or Minnesota?

Thanks again, BK

Bellkicker, I think that the program at Mason City is a great program and very family friendly. I must say that I did not interview at the program but had friends that did so this is second-hand information. My only concern was that it seemed that their 2nd yr didn't get significantly better in terms of work-load compared to the 1st. Also I am not a big fan of home call but that is a personal preference. I also did not interview at Waterloo but looked very closely at the program. I really like the residents that I met but did not like the town.
As you are from Wis. I would encourage you to take a look at Lacrosse I interviewed there and really liked the program and the town but my wife didn't feel that there would be as many job opportunities for her there.
I would not completely rule out Des Moines. Remember that it doesn't matter how close you are if you aren't able to get time off. We have weekends for the most part unless you are on call. If you are going to consider Des Moines let me know I can give you the low down on the 3 programs in town.
Since I graduated from the UofM I know a fair amount about some of the programs in the Twin Cities especially Methodist. I also did rotations in Duluth with the residency program so let me know if you want info on those as well.
Goodluck on the interview trail and have fun!

I'm appyling too. :D Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure either where I want to go or what type of program I want. I'm in Virginia but I kind of want to get out, just because I've lived here most of my life. mr. gwyn's a paramedic, so that doesn't limit our choices at all. So I've applied in North Carolina, Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Vermont. I've applied to university and community, opposed and unopposed, fairly large cities, very small towns..... I have to either figure out a way to narrow down my list more or I'm going to be going on a lot of interviews. :) I've had very good luck so far scheduling interviews, my strategy is essentially one state/week with the outliers thrown in at random. We'll see.

msparkysteffen said:
Bellkicker, I think that the program at Mason City is a great program and very family friendly. I must say that I did not interview at the program but had friends that did so this is second-hand information. My only concern was that it seemed that their 2nd yr didn't get significantly better in terms of work-load compared to the 1st. Also I am not a big fan of home call but that is a personal preference. I also did not interview at Waterloo but looked very closely at the program. I really like the residents that I met but did not like the town.
As you are from Wis. I would encourage you to take a look at Lacrosse I interviewed there and really liked the program and the town but my wife didn't feel that there would be as many job opportunities for her there.
I would not completely rule out Des Moines. Remember that it doesn't matter how close you are if you aren't able to get time off. We have weekends for the most part unless you are on call. If you are going to consider Des Moines let me know I can give you the low down on the 3 programs in town.
Since I graduated from the UofM I know a fair amount about some of the programs in the Twin Cities especially Methodist. I also did rotations in Duluth with the residency program so let me know if you want info on those as well.
Goodluck on the interview trail and have fun!

Another great post. Thanks.

The thing is, I'm an IMG (from Denmark) and that excludes me from probably 2 out of 3 programs in WI, MN and IA. It's been a weird experience applying. I contacted practically all the programs in those states, except for the Iowa programs way out west. Some places, like LaCrosse, simply stated that they didn't accept IMGs. Fine. I did a rotation in Duluth and found out that they don't take IMGs, either. Some places don't want applications, if you're still in school (however weird that sounds). Some places want 2 full years of clinical experience in the US. I don't remember what excluded me from your program at Iowa Lutheran but it must have been something or I would have applied.

At one point I considered FP in those states mission impossible.

Anyway, as hard as it was to get people to accept an application, as easy it was to secure interviews. My first batch is with the 4 programs at Medical College of Wisconsin. Do you know anything about those places?

The whole Wisconsin thing is because of my wife, who's from Northern WI. I know she'll want to take the kids up there once in a while and Des Moines is just too far away for that. Out of curiosity, when you have several programs in one city, do they generally get along with each other? I imagine they fight over the same candidates year after year.

But I digress.

Thanks again. BK

gwyn779 said:
I'm appyling too. :D Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure either where I want to go or what type of program I want. I'm in Virginia but I kind of want to get out, just because I've lived here most of my life. mr. gwyn's a paramedic, so that doesn't limit our choices at all. So I've applied in North Carolina, Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Vermont. I've applied to university and community, opposed and unopposed, fairly large cities, very small towns..... I have to either figure out a way to narrow down my list more or I'm going to be going on a lot of interviews. :) I've had very good luck so far scheduling interviews, my strategy is essentially one state/week with the outliers thrown in at random. We'll see.

gwyn, what do you have in Wisconsin? I'm doing the state by state thing, but even inside the same state it gets hard to schedule dinners the night before an interview when you're driving in from somewhere else. Like I wrote above, my first batch is with the MCW programs, and they're close enough for me to do everything but for Minnesota and Iowa (which is one week for me) I've had to decline some of the dinner offers. Any thoughts?

BK

BellKicker said:
gwyn, what do you have in Wisconsin? I'm doing the state by state thing, but even inside the same state it gets hard to schedule dinners the night before an interview when you're driving in from somewhere else. Like I wrote above, my first batch is with the MCW programs, and they're close enough for me to do everything but for Minnesota and Iowa (which is one week for me) I've had to decline some of the dinner offers. Any thoughts?

BK
Let's see...in WI I have MCW-Waukesha, UW-Madison, UW-Fox Valley, and La Crosse.

I arranged it so that I don't have more than ~2 hrs to drive between interviews. It's required rescheduling some, but since it's still rather early, it hasn't been a problem. Also, most places tell you when the day should end, which is usually 2:00 - 3:00. Not everybody has told me when the dinners are yet, but the most common time seems to be 6:30, so a 2 hr drive is manageable. Especially if my husband can go with me and help drive. I think what's going to suck more is getting flights to come back here.

gwyn, that's a trip down cold shoulder lane for me :mad: . The UW schools didn't want my application, despite some serious begging on my part. Gaad, it irrates me. Some of the coordinators are like, yeah, you're a perfect candidate (which to them is high usmle scores) but you'll need ecfmg certification before you apply. Why don't they try the same with American applicants? Yeah, you need to have graduated from medical school before you can apply here. It's such a stupid rule that too many programs have.

But I'm cool with it (NOT!). :confused:

ANYway, now that my venting is over, what made you apply to Waukesha over, say, St. Michael or, actually, any of the other MCW programs.

Very jealous at Franciskan-Skemp. That's supposed to be a choice spot. I'm applying to IM as a back-up and applied to Gundersen in LaCrosse. We have lots of family in LaCrosse, which is a seriously beautiful city.

You're right about driving times. In winter, I would plan on closer to 3 hours from Madison to LaCrosse, though. On some days in winter, I would plan in a lot more.....

Have a good trip!

Members don't see this ad :)
BellKicker said:
gwyn, that's a trip down cold shoulder lane for me :mad: . The UW schools didn't want my application, despite some serious begging on my part. Gaad, it irrates me. Some of the coordinators are like, yeah, you're a perfect candidate (which to them is high usmle scores) but you'll need ecfmg certification before you apply. Why don't they try the same with American applicants? Yeah, you need to have graduated from medical school before you can apply here. It's such a stupid rule that too many programs have.

ANYway, now that my venting is over, what made you apply to Waukesha over, say, St. Michael or, actually, any of the other MCW programs.

Very jealous at Franciskan-Skemp. That's supposed to be a choice spot. I'm applying to IM as a back-up and applied to Gundersen in LaCrosse. We have lots of family in LaCrosse, which is a seriously beautiful city.

You're right about driving times. In winter, I would plan on closer to 3 hours from Madison to LaCrosse, though. On some days in winter, I would plan in a lot more.....
:( Unfortunately it's much easier to apply as a US student.

As for Waukesha vs. others, my choices were somewhat random. I'm more interested in smaller towns/cities, so Milwaukee just didn't appeal to me. I'm also very interested in OB, so that influenced it.

I'm trying to plan several hours leeway for driving times. How bad is it in mid-November? I actually learned to drive in snow on mountain roads, so I feel reasonably comfortable.

gwyn779 said:
:( Unfortunately it's much easier to apply as a US student.

Honestly, I think that's the way it should be.

I probably couldn't handle too many more interviews now, anyway, and like I said above the programs I was able to apply to have been extremely pleasant to deal with. Ironically, the least friendly programs are the ones with a large number of IMGs.

Driving from Milwuakee to Madison to LaCrosse (or vice versa) isn't going to be bad at all in November. I wouldn't worry about it. A little under three hours is my guess unless there's some freak snow storm happening.

Hey, I'm glad a post in the FP forum is actually getting responses! :)

I had my first interview today at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh - was not nearly as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be. As a matter of fact, it went really well. I had rotated through there though, so that may have made it a little easier.

Did have one person ask me the "why did you decide to become a doctor?" question - I never thought I would hear that on a residency interview. Med school maybe, but not residency.

Good luck to everyone who has interviews coming up! :luck:

Bumping...

Any other FP applicants this year?

BellKicker said:

Have a good trip!

That is too bad that the UW programs don't take your app. I interviewed FP last year across the midwest.

Did you consider Rockford (northern Illinois... probably closer to WI than iowa programs.) Peoria Illinois is also very strong.

I did not look into Mason City myself, but talked to several that really liked it.

Depends how much OB and procedures you want to do. Do you want to learn endoscopy? How about C-sections? You need to ask what kind of volume is available in the procedures you are interested in... look at the track record for DOING them, not the potential availability if you are interested.

larryj said:
That is too bad that the UW programs don't take your app. I interviewed FP last year across the midwest.

Did you consider Rockford (northern Illinois... probably closer to WI than iowa programs.) Peoria Illinois is also very strong.

I did not look into Mason City myself, but talked to several that really liked it.

Depends how much OB and procedures you want to do. Do you want to learn endoscopy? How about C-sections? You need to ask what kind of volume is available in the procedures you are interested in... look at the track record for DOING them, not the potential availability if you are interested.

Larryj, thanks, that's good advice. I did apply to Rockford but I won't go to the interview. Don't even start on their 10K signing bonus :) . It's Wisconsin or a really nice, small town like Mason City.

I just got back from a whole week packed with interviews. I am absolutely overwhelmed by how nice everyone was. From paying for hotels to taking me out to eat multiple times. And the residents were so damn nice like I could see myself becoming friends with all of them.

It's so overwhelming that I feel like I should have done something in return. I got a few panic attacks driving between interviews, like "they are just too nice. They must be expecting something in return". It was like landing on a tropical island and 5 minutes later I'm marrying the chief's daughter.

How's everyone elses interviews going?

BellKicker said:
Larryj, thanks, that's good advice. I did apply to Rockford but I won't go to the interview. Don't even start on their 10K signing bonus :) . It's Wisconsin or a really nice, small town like Mason City.

I just got back from a whole week packed with interviews. I am absolutely overwhelmed by how nice everyone was. From paying for hotels to taking me out to eat multiple times. And the residents were so damn nice like I could see myself becoming friends with all of them.

It's so overwhelming that I feel like I should have done something in return. I got a few panic attacks driving between interviews, like "they are just too nice. They must be expecting something in return". It was like landing on a tropical island and 5 minutes later I'm marrying the chief's daughter.

How's everyone elses interviews going?

daughter's husband is sacred sacrifice! haha...

Congrats on your interviews going well, BellKicker!

I have had the same experience as you on the interview trail - everyone has been sooo nice. FP people are awesome! :thumbup:

Any thoughts on if those "we hope to see you in July" and "we hope you choose us" sentiments from the PD's are genuine? I have received letters from the places I interviewed telling me this, but I don't know if they are serious.

DOtobe, I really don't know what to think of the many compliments. It feels good to hear "well, you certainly have an impressive application" but, to be honest, I probably have a rather average application. I have a very high step 1 score but I don't think that will get me far in FP. So my conservative interpretation is that they tell that to everyone.

What have you done for thank you letters? I read on the general residency forum that you had sent handwritten letters. I chose to send some emails with details about what I liked about their program and then a nice postcard once I got back to Denmark. Everyone was telling me how they either had visited Denmark or would like to go, so I figured it would be fun to do it that way. You didn't send a letter to every faculty member you interviewed with, did you?

Well, I start really interviewing on Monday. So far I've just had one interview at my school's program, so I'm sure that was somewhat atypical. But as for everyone in FP being so nice, that's one of the reasons I chose it as a specialty. I'm not entirely sure about thank you notes either, but my plan is to at least send one to all the PDs and then anyone else I really connect with or whatever. And I'm hand-writing them since I have nice handwriting and I think it shows a little more personal effort. But who knows. I think since it's FP, it's not a big deal no matter what you do.

Ha, my writing is so terrible that I had my wife write them......

Why exactly is email not used for thank you letters, though? It seems like I have quite a few positive reponses to the emails already, so I didn't get the feeling it was an extremely unusual thing to do.

I only sent the thank you cards to the PD's of the programs that I interviewed at. I sent handwritten cards for the same reason as gwyn - I have neat handwriting and I thought that a nice handwritten card would be more personal.

I'm glad you guys are doing well and wish you continued success. I have yet to find a program that I am happy with, however. I always find a flaw within the program (whether it be the residents, location, or faculty). Ranking them will be difficult.

Someone on SDN said something like "find the programs with the least flaws" (becasue they all have flaws). If you do find that 100% perfect program, I bet it's because you want it to seem perfect.

I'm still waiting to find a program that's the opposite of perfect. I haven't gone to a place and thought "man, I would hate to come here next year".

Anyone interview at Mayo in Rochester, MN or know anything about it? I interview there in a few weeks and was wondering......

Hi DRealDrZ, I'm not interviewing in Rochester, so I don't have any specific information on the program now. However, I worked with a rural doc who trained in the FP program at Mayo in Rochester, and was extremely happy with his training there (he graduated about 3 years ago) - he felt like he was exposed to lots of different things (it's Mayo, so there's plenty of obscure things that end up there), and there were plenty of procedural opportunities (he's a full spectrum rural doc who does ER, OB, colonoscopies, etc.). He was incredibly intelligent and very motivated, so he probably played a large part in seeking out those opportunities during his training. I know FP programs have changed a lot in the last few years, as well, so I don't know what Mayo is like nowadays. Hope all is going well! :)

DRealDrZ said:
Anyone interview at Mayo in Rochester, MN or know anything about it? I interview there in a few weeks and was wondering......

Hope this helps:
I did a month Sub-I in FM at Mayo this fall. It's a great place if you can live in Rochester for 3 years. Every single person there was awesome and always willing to teach. I am going back in a few weeks for my formal interview. It is a place that I will be considering-- just have to learn to like Rochester :)

If you have specific questions feel free to ask.

Please let me know how the interview goes...mine isn't until January...is Rochester that bad? I'm from a smaller area, so I could do it...are there other things that make it "not great"? Thanks so much.

Applying to programs in Colorado and Nebraska. I'm very interested in the Lincoln (NE) FP program. I went through nursing school in Lincoln and then (years later) rotated with graduates of that program.

It's nice to see all the replies from people applying to family medicine residencies. I was told by a few--very few--doctors: "Don't apply to FP! It's a dying field."

Happily, they're wrong. I want to add CAQ in geriatrics and then practice full-spectrum FP in a rural area. The threads here have made me realize that I'm not dreaming--many small towns are still seeking FP doctors.

TPW

It's nice to see all the replies from people applying to family medicine residencies. I was told by a few--very few--doctors: "Don't apply to FP! It's a dying field."

TPW[/QUOTE]

Interviewing at all the AZ programs, Utah programs and one in CO. Only had one interview so far and really liked it - The only DO program left in AZ, John C. Lincoln. Strong program except a little weak in OB. All the residents loved it there (I talked to most but not all of them).

Looking forward to Good Sam's and Mayo's (Scottsdale) programs. I've actually heard that the Mayo program here is like doing "geriatrics from a distance." Not much hands on and all you get shipped out for peds. Not llike Rochester's. I'm just curious to check out THE Mayo program because "hey, its Mayo"

I'm curious as to why Mayo doesn't make US News' list every year for FP programs (like Duke, Baylor, etc.). One would think the institution is not lacking in research dollars. Is the program that bad?

Hi All-
We hear alot about how the training at unopposed programs is better b/c you aren't fighting for procedures, etc... Has anyone ever thought that you could get a better education at a bigger "academic" institution by being around experts/specialists and other residents who are focused on their field and know all the newest thinking? I'm just wondering because I'm struggling between a small unopposed community program and a big-name "academic" program. I feel like I would get great training at both but maybe a broader and more in-depth training at the academic one.

DRealDrZ said:
Please let me know how the interview goes...mine isn't until January...is Rochester that bad? I'm from a smaller area, so I could do it...are there other things that make it "not great"? Thanks so much.
I was in Rochester this past week and really liked the program and people. The problem with Rochester, in my opinion, is that there's no university in town. Of course, I've always lived in a university town, but I think that tends to bring more music/art culture into a community. I'm not really talking about big name productions or anything, just small college activities which can make a huge difference. However, Mayo itself brings a reasonable diversity in population, and the Twin Cities are just over an hour away for cultural opportunities. I'll just have to see how everything else compares when I have time to look at it again.

Must go pack now, interviews #13-15 this week, then I have 3 weeks until #16 in Jan.! (Really, I'm only a little insane.)

Charlottesville is beautiful, but dealing with the college students wears me out.

Angry Mouse said:
Charlottesville is beautiful, but dealing with the college students wears me out.
I moved more outside of town for that reason, so now I can ignore them pretty well. Especially since they're now on break. ;) In all honesty though, since I grew up in a town w/ twice as many college students as regular town residents, it's hard to imagine not dealing with them.

Thanks for the info on Rochester/Mayo. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Just Wondering If Anyone Has Advice On Ny Programs? Also, Has Anyone Found That "perfect" Program?