Who else is deleting their facebook account now that ERAS is submitted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej37

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only paranoid one that has gone off facebook for the next 6 months?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Most of the people I know (including me) have at least changed our name.

Not that there's anything bad on there, I just don't really think it's anyone's business what I have on there other than my friends. And I can't always account for things my friends put on there.

the vast majority of my med school friends have changed their name. I haven't bothered to, but I have tried to censor some of the pictures and things posted on my wall.

hmm. what about sites like LinkedIn? it's meant to be a professional networking site so I figured I could keep that.

Guilty of some name-changing

I have to admit that I don't really see the need for this. You can adjust facebook settings so that all the public sees is your profile picture and cover photos.

I have to admit that I don't really see the need for this. You can adjust facebook settings so that all the public sees is your profile picture and cover photos.

Ditto. Set your privacy filters so no one except friends can see anything. No need for name changes or deleting your account.

The reason is to say "Look at me! I'm applying to things!"

True, but I hardly use Facebook these days anyways except in case someone needs to invite me to an event. So I'm not exactly losing much.

the vast majority of my med school friends have changed their name. I haven't bothered to, but I have tried to censor some of the pictures and things posted on my wall.

If your friends dont have the sense to know that you're applying for a job in a very conservative profession and hence, do not want them to post innaproriate pics or posts on your wall, then you may have to re-evaluate these friendships.
If they can hurt you now that they youre applying to residency, then they def can hurt you when you're an attending and lawyers are scouring the interweb for ammunition that they can bring to the courtroom to bolster their case.

I say, unfriend anyone who you think may post some **** that could hurt you if seen by your potential employers

I'm not changing things, just putting it on private, so they can't see anything else. My profile picture and cover picture is stuff that I won't be afraid to show to any committee. And I don't have the urge to put pics of me chugging bottles of liquor or blowing peeps as a profile picture, so I won't have any blackmail :D

I'm not changing anything because, in this ever-changing landscape of Internet embarrassment, I don't want to look like I have something to hide. I'm sure that nobody will ever think that hard about the fact that I'm "open," but it's a silly idea that somehow got into my head.

Usually, there's nothing embarrassing or controversial on my wall, but recently some friends have been posting a lot of semi-controversial religious messages. If somebody is looking at the page who doesn't understand how facebook works, they might mistake those posts for my own beliefs, which could lead them to mistaking me for a zealot. So maybe I should hype up my security.

I deleted my facebook (well erased all the contacts, erased all info and changed the name to a joke name) years ago...

When I realized I only had about 15 or so REAL FRIENDS who i talk to on an everyday basis or text...

I decided to shut down the old Patriot(Act)Book

I deleted my facebook (well erased all the contacts, erased all info and changed the name to a joke name) years ago...

When I realized I only had about 15 or so REAL FRIENDS who i talk to on an everyday basis or text...

I decided to shut down the old Patriot(Act)Book

lol thought about this but I figure it's kinda funny to see how my old friends are doing every now and then.

but yeah I don't understand all this hiding. All you have to do is change everything so only your friends see it (wall, pictures, posts, friends, etc). The only thing they could do is search for you and if they can determine which profile is yours on name alone all they will see is the profile photo. If your name is common they'll never know who you are.

Also, to think the program director has time to search for every applicant or person they want to rank is kinda ridiculous. Maybe if your are applying to a very small specialty. Or if you have lots of things on there that are controversial in some sense... But if that is the case you should just straight up remove all that stuff regardless.

Also, to think the program director has time to search for every applicant or person they want to rank is kinda ridiculous.

Is it ridiculous though? They presumably read through our applications, which takes much longer than a quick facebook search to see if the person has a bunch of incriminating pictures on the front page.

I mean, how many news stories about people getting into trouble with their employers/future employers for stuff they posted on their "private" facebook page until people realize nothing about facebook is private... Just change your name, and forget about it.

I mean, how many news stories about people getting into trouble with their employers/future employers for stuff they posted on their "private" facebook page until people realize nothing about facebook is private... Just change your name, and forget about it.

people just thought it was private. In reality they did not have their settings right. But also your "friends" may show others your not so flattering pictures, comments, etc and this is how that stuff gets around. But also those people who do that are usually just plain stupid.

If you don't really have a huge presence on facebook in terms of pictures, posting your religious or political thoughts, etc. and just focus on communicating with people, you're fine.

I've been posting pictures of me doing all sorts of great things the past two years waiting for this day.

Last edited:
There was a survey of programs awhile ago about Facebook and a good number said they did check. It was like 10% or something like that.

I've been posting pictures of me doing all sorts of great things the past two years waiting for this day. You can see me playing with the kids, baking my grandma some cookies, and serving all mankind. I also am planning on using it to increase my perceived commitment to my specialty.

:laugh: good job! I'm forseeing 30 interviews already, solely on your facebook page

You do know that Facebook changes their privacy settings all the time right?
As soon as someone you are friends with clicks the Share option on anything that you have posted, it becomes visible to their entire network and possibly more based on their privacy settings.

Also if they find that your profile is private they may ask to see what you are hiding.

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/20...ges-demand-applicants-facebook-passwords?lite

As soon as someone you are friends with clicks the Share option on anything that you have posted, it becomes visible to their entire network and possibly more based on their privacy settings.

Also if they find that your profile is private they may ask to see what you are hiding.

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/20...ges-demand-applicants-facebook-passwords?lite

No residency program is going to ask for your facebook password, so that's a non-issue currently. Also, people can't share most of the content you post as it is. According to facebook, you can only share things like links and pictures.

Seriously, I doubt any of you have anything on your facebook page that anyone would care about as it is. I do think it's sloppy not to have privacy filters set, though, so I might judge you for that. As far searching for stuff online, we do live in an age where web searches on applicants is fair game. I'm not sure I'd expect anything differently on facebook. So if you've got a mug shot, maybe that's a problem ...

Haven't had facebook in forever. Didn't really know how to use it or even cared when I did. Then again, I have a flip phone and don't even have text messaging activated.

Funny thing is, I am not an idiot when it comes to technology. I still make a living on the side repairing computers, iphones, androids, and car electronics. I just hate texting. For god sake, look at us, we got to the point where we scream at a box at the side of a building to get food.

"I WANT A KING SIZE NUMBER #1 WITH CHEESE AND A DIET COKE!!!!!!!!"

How is that for human communication.

/acting cool for not being into cool things <--- what a sucker.

Lol, I just googled my name which up to now I thought was unique and OMG at what I found.

Apparently this guy with my same name and age just got busted for massive food stamp fraud. Don't know whether to laugh or worry.

Yes, thanks, I do.

Also, I have nothing to hide. I understand that facebook is ultimately public information in one form or another, so I don't post anything that I don't feel comfortable with. I use privacy filters, but that's mostly to keep away people that I don't like and ad companies.

Last edited:
Lol, I just googled my name which up to now I thought was unique and OMG at what I found.

Apparently this guy with my same name and age just got busted for massive food stamp fraud. Don't know whether to laugh or worry.
I told you trying to pay for medical school with food stamps would end in sorrow.

I told you trying to pay for medical school with food stamps would end in sorrow.

But this brings up a good point about this whole issue. If John Smith applies to my program, there will be nothing but pain in my future if I try to look him up on FB or Google him. So why bother?

And if I'm not going to do that for John Smith, why should I do it for Jgdyeyr Suuehdbfsik who will be much easier to find?

Reactions: 1 user
In Pennsylvania, if a full time student (medical student included) were to work part time at least 20 hours a week (outside of school) then that individual is eligible for food stamps.

It has been done... nuff said...

I just searched for my name on facebook and found another guy who lives in Chicago (which is where my "permanent address" is), has a "like" for Kaplan Medical (so he's probably a medical person), and fits the same general ethnic profile and facial structure as in my ERAS picture.

Also, I have a name that's reasonably common in my ethnic group, but it's not common enough for people to know that it's a common name... so if I delete my account or change my name (or maybe even strengthen my privacy settings), somebody might confuse me for the other guy.

Personally, I'd rather have people see my actual profile (which doesn't have anything inflammatory on it, unless somebody has a strong bias against Cardinals fans).

I just searched for my name on facebook and found another guy who lives in Chicago (which is where my "permanent address" is), has a "like" for Kaplan Medical (so he's probably a medical person), and fits the same general ethnic profile and facial structure as in my ERAS picture.

Also, I have a name that's reasonably common in my ethnic group, but it's not common enough for people to know that it's a common name... so if I delete my account or change my name (or maybe even strengthen my privacy settings), somebody might confuse me for the other guy.

Personally, I'd rather have people see my actual profile (which doesn't have anything inflammatory on it, unless somebody has a strong bias against Cardinals fans).

Did you apply to anywhere near Philadephia?

Sadly thats not good enough.

Facebook has a back door feature called "family" connections where people can look you up and see your entire profile, EVEN if you disabled your name from coming up on the search engine.

Way too many loopholes for people to access your stuff, the privacy features are entirely a shadow game if somebody does some sleuthing.

Is it ridiculous though? They presumably read through our applications, which takes much longer than a quick facebook search to see if the person has a bunch of incriminating pictures on the front page.

PDs dont look at facebook that much, but program coordinators and secretaries DEFINITELY do facebook research, and if anything funny pops up they tell the PD about it.

You have to remember that program coordinators are mostly mid 50s women who love to gossip and find dirt on people.

Sadly thats not good enough.

Facebook has a back door feature called "family" connections where people can look you up and see your entire profile, EVEN if you disabled your name from coming up on the search engine.

Way too many loopholes for people to access your stuff, the privacy features are entirely a shadow game if somebody does some sleuthing.

Hmm, a quick google search turns up no mention of anything like this. I'm curious to find out more... please share if you have any sources.

What kind of info, photos, posts on facebook would be seen as no good by programs? Besides photos of you drinking a 40, writing curse words about random things, and having friends who do the same; what else can be considered poor form? Photos of you on the beach? Photos of you hanging out with friends?

What kind of info, photos, posts on facebook would be seen as no good by programs? Besides photos of you drinking a 40, writing curse words about random things, and having friends who do the same; what else can be considered poor form? Photos of you on the beach? Photos of you hanging out with friends?

Not sure if serious...

Reason I ask these semi-sarcastic questions is because so many people are changing their names on facebook and there's nothing seriously wrong with their facebook profiles. They have pictures where they're at clubs, restaurants, beaches, parks...hanging out with friends.
I mean what medical student has an "incriminating" facebook page? C'mon.
So then if med students' facebook pages are relatively benign...then why go off of facebook?!

Yes, and also Chicago. They don't like Cardinals fans very much there.

Well not to worry as (most) physicians are professionals.

When I interviewed for med school, I told a die hard Philllies fan that I was all for the Yankees (this was after the phillies world series run). I was heckled by everyone, including the technicians...

Turned out well for me.

Well not to worry as (most) physicians are professionals.

When I interviewed for med school, I told a die hard Philllies fan that I was all for the Yankees (this was after the phillies world series run). I was heckled by everyone, including the technicians...

Turned out well for me.

Yeah, I meant that as a joke. I don't know about others, but I always find rival fans to be easy to get along with... we'll always have something to talk about. Some of my best friends are Cubs fans.

If nothing else, it gives me a good opportunity to make a light/joking comment...