who determines whether you are URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am a little confused about this process. I am half puerto rican and half white. I put this on both of my AACOMAS and AMCAS applications. But does that automatically mean I am URM? As much as i hear people talk about it, i never saw a box or anything that said "i consider myself URM."

Will schools just see that I am puerto rican and make a note that I am URM?

When AMCAS asked about disadvantaged status I answered "i do not woish to be considered disadvantaged" because it was talking about economically disadvantaged, which is totally different than being underrepresetned. But then someone else told me to be considered URM you would have had to have checked "yes consider me disadvantaged."

Anyways, I'm just kind of confused on whether or not I had to click a box anywhere to be considered URM, or if the schools just make that judgment when looking at ethnicity/race. Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

There are no URM "boxes" to check on any applications. You indicate your ethnicity if you desire and that's it. Ethnicity is a self-designation and you can designate yourself as anything that you want.