Whiskey Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is the most elaborate engagement I've seen from you with a topic that isn't a nuanced point about lymph nodes or the ground truth HU values in a patient presenting with crepitus.

First bolded - think you mean Wallnerus.... (let's not turn this into breast AGAIN)

Second bolded - If that is a real thread and not hyperbole (I could certainly have forgotten), it's probably worth another read, link please!

But... yes, I suppose I have opinions. Lots of opinions about lots of things if my extensive post history and cumulative time spent (wasted) on SDN is any marker

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I’m more of a scotch guy then borboun, but love both.

For borboun I find little correlation between price and taste past a low threshold. Currently loving Kirkland signature (Bartons) small batch and bottled in bond. They make a mean borboun Manhattan as well.OG buffalo trace one of my favorites as well.

For scotch I’m all about smoke and peat for days. Lagavulin 16 is the king. Laphroig quarter cask and highland park 12for more peat or smoke, respectively. Personally I don’t mind younger ages, as the older years tends to dull the peat plus costs too much. The macallans et Al are nice and smooth, but if you want smooth then that’s what blends and borboun are for.

Now if you want snobby I’ll talk your ear off about barrel aging cocktails. Nothing better then coming home and pouring yourself a barrel aged Vieux Carre, last word, or Manhattan (if keeping it simple) on tap.

the interesting thing is that most brewers actually drink things like high life or PBR. I actually didn't like them upfront. Things like hefeweizens were much more approachable in my early 20s. I think my palate has evolved and I am able to appreciate the beauty of a well made lager. Don't get me wrong - I love a well made craft lager. I have had the pleasure of drinking stuff like suarez or ABGB or bierstadt. I would pick those over a high life.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of pricing, I'll be the first admit I *still* don't know what's a good bang for buck in terms of being overpriced... except for Eagle Rare (at market price) and standard Buffalo Trace seem to be good prices to me
Those are indeed two great values.

Obviously, on an individual level, it’s all about price per enjoyment.

For bourbon, at least, I always think about distiller, age, and proof for determining what a whiskey is “worth” before trying it.

On a more macro level… The longer the juice is aged, the more resources utilized. The higher the proof, the less bottles that come out of the barrel. You know you’ll probably pay a premium for premium distillers.

Once you taste it though, all that goes out the window. You either like it or you don’t.

I just hate seeing brand new non-distilling producers put an 3 year, 84 proof bourbon in a super pretty bottle with a cool name and charging $60

For borboun I find little correlation between price and taste past a low threshold. Currently loving Kirkland signature (Bartons) small batch and bottled in bond. They make a mean borboun Manhattan as well.
I’ve never tried these, but I like all the 1792 line except the sweet wheat and Very Old Barton is my favorite bottom shelf/mixer bourbon.

I’ll have to check it out.

I’m more of a scotch guy then borboun, but love both.

For borboun I find little correlation between price and taste past a low threshold. Currently loving Kirkland signature (Bartons) small batch and bottled in bond. They make a mean borboun Manhattan as well.OG buffalo trace one of my favorites as well.

For scotch I’m all about smoke and peat for days. Lagavulin 16 is the king. Laphroig quarter cask and highland park 12for more peat or smoke, respectively. Personally I don’t mind younger ages, as the older years tends to dull the peat plus costs too much. The macallans et Al are nice and smooth, but if you want smooth then that’s what blends and borboun are for.

Now if you want snobby I’ll talk your ear off about barrel aging cocktails. Nothing better then coming home and pouring yourself a barrel aged Vieux Carre, last word, or Manhattan (if keeping it simple) on tap.

I like smoke a lot but not excessive peatiness, so high year scotches that aren't Lagavulin (or other Islay) are my favorites. I generally find most scotch to be much more smooth than most bourbons as well. Glenrothes 12 is a really good value, besides the usual suspects (Glenfidditch 15, Glenlivet 12+, Glenmorangie 12+). Dalmore and Lismore are good as well. Can also get on board with Highland Park 12+ and Monkey shoulder in a non-fancy setting.

the interesting thing is that most brewers actually drink things like high life or PBR. I actually didn't like them upfront. Things like hefeweizens were much more approachable in my early 20s. I think my palate has evolved and I am able to appreciate the beauty of a well made lager. Don't get me wrong - I love a well made craft lager. I have had the pleasure of drinking stuff like suarez or ABGB or bierstadt. I would pick those over a high life.

Meh, life is too short and calories too precious to drink bad bear. Don’t get me wrong a cold macro brew on a hot day at a stadium isn’t bad, but there is such a wonderful world of beer out there. You’re absolutely right that beer doesn’t have to be a hop bomb to be delicious, but there are so many good (and cheap) options. Even in the land of IPAs, where for a while it just felt like a 'who can make the most bitter beer' contest, there are so many different flavors/hop varietals. A cold citra-hopped hazy IPA is just as refreshing as a high life and infinitely better tasting.

It's also a great time to be a beer guy. I can go to total wine and buy a case of the best beers in the world for $60 bucks. Weihenstephaner hefe and festbier. Ayinger doppelbock. Duvel Tripel, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Firestone KBS stout (personal favorite, normally not a stout guy). Pliny the Elder, Fin du Monde, stone enjoy by, and Alpine Nelson made up my last run.

I'm jealous you can get Pliny at your nearest total wine. I know it's not the whale it used to be in terms of scarcity, but still not something I've ever seen anywhere near me

Meh, life is too short and calories too precious to drink bad bear. Don’t get me wrong a cold macro brew on a hot day at a stadium isn’t bad, but there is such a wonderful world of beer out there. You’re absolutely right that beer doesn’t have to be a hop bomb to be delicious, but there are so many good (and cheap) options. Even in the land of IPAs, where for a while it just felt like a 'who can make the most bitter beer' contest, there are so many different flavors/hop varietals. A cold citra-hopped hazy IPA is just as refreshing as a high life and infinitely better tasting.

It's also a great time to be a beer guy. I can go to total wine and buy a case of the best beers in the world for $60 bucks. Weihenstephaner hefe and festbier. Ayinger doppelbock. Duvel Tripel, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Firestone KBS stout (personal favorite, normally not a stout guy). Pliny the Elder, Fin du Monde, stone enjoy by, and Alpine Nelson made up my last run.
I think we are on the same wave length.

I just had a stroke though. Do you live in Nor Cal? Where you can find pliny at a total wine..

Where do you stand on Sours? They are my absolute favorite and if you haven’t tried Duchesse de Bourgogne you should. It is excellent and doesn’t taste like a cheap cider. Bit on the pricy side for a beer, but worth it for the occasional splurge.

Where do you stand on Sours? They are my absolute favorite and if you haven’t tried Duchesse de Bourgogne you should. It is excellent and doesn’t taste like a cheap cider. Bit on the pricy side for a beer, but worth it for the occasional splurge.

Absolutely love sours if done right. Duchesse is fantastic. Russin river makes incredible ones if you can find them (and even then, they often run $10-20 for 500ml bottle. Cantillon is the pinnacle, but I've only found it when physically in Brussels.

True sours are aged with bacteria/wild yeast, leading to lactic acid production and sourness with depth/body/complexity.. Some breweries will take shortcuts in doing what is called Kettle souring (rapid bacterial innoculation before then sterilizing the beer and then fermenting) or worse, just add lactic acid to the finished product, which tends to add tartness without much else. Some of those are fine and refreshing like a nice Gose, but nothing special.

I think we are on the same wave length.

I just had a stroke though. Do you live in Nor Cal? Where you can find pliny at a total wine..

Yup. One of the consolations for the COL.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely love sours if done right. Duchesse is fantastic. Russin river makes incredible ones if you can find them (and even then, they often run $10-20 for 500ml bottle. Cantillon is the pinnacle, but I've only found it when physically in Brussels.

True sours are aged with bacteria/wild yeast, leading to lactic acid production and sourness with depth/body/complexity.. Some breweries will take shortcuts in doing what is called Kettle souring (rapid bacterial innoculation before then sterilizing the beer and then fermenting) or worse, just add lactic acid to the finished product, which tends to add tartness without much else. Some of those are fine and refreshing like a nice Gose, but nothing special.
Sorry everyone. As of now, my favorite person on this forum is a urologist.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Was just in Pliny country this past weekend. You can at stores! Lines continue to be insane for the Santa Rosa OG location.

That is awesome. I do feel that in 2021 - you can pick almost any major metro city, even some smaller towns, and find a thriving craft beer scene. I live in the midwest and we have world class breweries (well...at least according to beer advocate/rate beer) specializing in different styles or regions. Biryani, unfortunately, is not as easy to find.

That is awesome. I do feel that in 2021 - you can pick almost any major metro city, even some smaller towns, and find a thriving craft beer scene. I live in the midwest and we have world class breweries (well...at least according to beer advocate/rate beer) specializing in different styles or regions. Biryani, unfortunately, is not as easy to find.
I should stream me making biryani
Would help so much of the angst about job market.

Sours are GROSS, mang. I'd rather drink Miller High Life.

I've had red ales before and liked them. Then I had a FLANDERS red ale, and was like "wtf is this ****e". Apparently a red ale from FLANDERS tastes like sour milk mixed 50/50 with an ale.

Sours are an acquired taste, like kombucha or sour kraut or something.

But when you get there, they start to be a nice, crisp change of pace.