Which would you pick

PrettyWeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The local uni by my house has the major I want (neuroscience). Its the only school in my state that does. Only problem is, I really want to go away from home & have that
"college experience", especially since Ive been home-schooled my entire life. Also, the uni by my house isnt well regarded-its known as the school that people go to because they couldnt get into the top school at my state, one step above CC.
I guess I'd double major in psy+bio if I went away, but Im not sure If I can complete that in 4 years without having heavy semesters that can negatively affect my GPA, and I'd much prefer the neuro major...WWYD?

Members don't see this ad.

go to a more well regarded institution out-of-state that offers neuro. tons do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. My state's flagship school just added an undergrad Neuroscience major (amazing they didn't have it in the first place since they're just about the biggest school in the country, haha), and I've found many others that have it as well throughout my own college search. It is more expensive to go out of state of course, which is definitely something to consider. But, I think with some Google-ing you'll find that you have more options than you think. :thumbup:

If you are looking to go into medicine in the future with a focus in neuro I'd say take it. Otherwise pick something else. I really loved it as a major but it hasn't helped me at all in my time between college and med school with finding a job. In the last decade the field has exploded which is a good thing because it means tons of research and a greater understanding of something that is still relatively unknown. However it also means you have thousands graduating who will be unable to find jobs because there are just so many of us. Since medicine isn't a guarantee (so many start thinking pre-med) it might help you to pick a major that will teach you something that can be used for employment.

If you are looking to go into medicine in the future with a focus in neuro I'd say take it. Otherwise pick something else. I really loved it as a major but it hasn't helped me at all in my time between college and med school with finding a job. In the last decade the field has exploded which is a good thing because it means tons of research and a greater understanding of something that is still relatively unknown. However it also means you have thousands graduating who will be unable to find jobs because there are just so many of us. Since medicine isn't a guarantee (so many start thinking pre-med) it might help you to pick a major that will teach you something that can be used for employment.

I guess I could stay instate for a year, then transfer out.

Im not sure what I really want to go into yet, but I really like it as a major, since it had alot of the prereqs built into it anyways. So would a reg bio major be any more useful?

I would recommend going to the best undergrad you get into even if they do not offer the neuroscience major. You want every advantage you can get in this climate(graduate admissions and jobs are very competitive). Most schools offer many neuroscience courses even if your major is bio or psychobio. You should absolutely go to the best school you get into.

I agree with MIAYO. Neuroscience is definitely looking like a more popular option in schools. You could always minor in it or consider taking a few courses in it regardless of your major.

If you can afford to go away without taking out a massive amount of loans, then go for it! Personally, I know that being homeschooled makes scholarships that incoming freshmen are typically considered for a little bit harder to receive. Because of this, I'm going to spend some time at community college in order to have the grades to be eligible for transfer scholarships. Because I never really had a typical high school experience (not fully anyway) not being able to go to school on the other side of the country right away seemed like the end of the world at first. Staying at home for another year doesn't necessarily have to be a death sentence.

It actually sounds like it might be a blessing in disguise for you, though! You get to explore the major that sounds like the most fun at the moment, and spend a little more time with your family. Check out collegeboard, it'll help with finding OOS schools with neuro majors that you can transfer to. :)

I agree with trying to find a place out of state that has neuroscience. I went out of state and have a nice scholarship so it's possible to do that without tons of loans.

In terms of a job after college, no the bio major isn't that much more helpful... my understanding of that is to get a job where the major would even be applicable* requires at least a master's now. I'm not a bio major but obviously know a lot of them from the pre-med courses so maybe someone else could weigh in on that more. The job market is crap in general and there are only a few degrees that are directly marketable (like engineering) so my advice would just be to major in what you like.
*I say this because there are jobs that just require any bachelor's degree and don't care about the major so I am thinking more in terms of something like a research position where you would directly use your bio knowledge.