Which University should I opt for ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garima dabas

Reaction score
Hello fellow students and doctors,
I am an Indian veterinary graduate. I want to learn and explore other countries as well.... the techniques and skills I can learn from different parts of the world.
I currently am looking for some post-graduate programmes that can help me in clinical training exposure, which will help me in clearning my license exam also.
I am very much confused as to which university should I go for and what programmes should I enroll in, since I'm a little financial and time bound.
Am I eligible for the residency programmes? and If yes, will they be helpful? And what about Internship programmes, they are for short duration (1year) but will they be helpful? Or should I just plan for masters, and which programme in masters for clinical training?
Do university ranking matter?
which university should I go for? Please guide me.
Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would suggest posting in the Veterinary professionals forum since I expect less students who frequent the Pre-vet forum would know about how residencies for international students work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Do university Rankings matter?
And thank you so much :)
Nope. Rankings are mostly based on the publications they put out, not how good the actual veterinary school is. Some schools also refuse to participate in the rankings because they think they are dumb so they are ranked low because they don’t return the form.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. Rankings are mostly based on the publications they put out, not how good the actual veterinary school is. Some schools also refuse to participate in the rankings because they think they are dumb so they are ranked low because they don’t return the form.
Do you think, It's a good idea to go for masters in US and then work there after spending so much on masters? I am so confused and nervous as well. I don't want it to be a flop plan

Do you think, It's a good idea to go for masters in US and then work there after spending so much on masters? I am so confused and nervous as well. I don't want it to be a flop plan
what are your goals? I don’t know a reason to get a masters when you already have a veterinary degree but possibly it depends ie do you want to go into lab animal research (but that’s more of a PhD that would be ideal). Spending more money on a degree that isn’t needed especially if your financially constrained is not a good idea. But I also don’t know much about if there are any specific international student factors that may make it better to get a masters. So better to speak with international students who have done this before.

Reactions: 1 user
First thing is I want a good career and I'll give NAVLE once enrolled in some postgrad course. Then I'll be familiar with the standards of US after working in the clinics while doing the postgraduation in some clinical subject. So that I can excel good

Essentially you want to practice veterinary medicine in the US?

Essentially you want to practice veterinary medicine in the US?
Yes. But I don't want to drop an year to prepare for NAVLE. and neither do I want to ask my parents for money for application to the NAVLE. That's why I thiught of a vet school postgraduation. Which will add to my experience and knowledge and skill ofcourse.