Which surgical sub-specialty is for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was recently accepted to a DO school this cycle and wanted to make this post.

While I realize this is premature and I should not be worrying about what specialty I want to go into as of yet however I am very interested in surgery.

I have a pretty good backstory with neurosurgery and would love to match NS (I had a craniectomy when I was 5 due to chiari malformation and this is what caused me to go into medicine). I know that neurosurgery is going to be a stretch because I am attending an osteopathic school.

That brings me to my question of what surgical specialty would allow me to operate and make a difference and also be able to have clinic and build relationships with patients.

I have shadowed NS, ortho, plastics, and some other specialties. I also work as an ED scribe right now and I know that I would like to be in the OR but also have clinic as well. I was looking into GS but IDK. I want variety, OR, and relationships with my future patients.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I know that I will see more on rotations, however I want to sort of look into other specialties prior to doing rotations so I have some type of idea.

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly do you mean by clinic? Basically every surgical specialty has clinic. If you're talking about having a lot of clinic or that surgery/medicine mix, I'd look into ENT, uro, ophtho, and GS.

I think you also have to think about what kind of pathology, cases, and outcomes get you going. Whatever field has the bread and butter (most common cases) that you'd be excited/happy to do, I'd focus on that, because you will likely spend most of your time doing those procedures.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That brings me to my question of what surgical specialty would allow me to operate and make a difference and also be able to have clinic and build relationships with patients.

That narrows it down to all of them.

Get more exposure to all of them. You need to start looking at what each of them does on a day to day basis. What is there bread and butter? Do you like those cases? For example craniectomies are cool, but the majority of a neurosurgery practice is spine. Do you want more medicine? Or do you just want to be a technician? These are the questions you need to ask yourself as you look into different surgical fields.

This is all assuming you are competitive for each of them obviously, which is a big if unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users
What exactly do you mean by clinic? Basically every surgical specialty has clinic. If you're talking about having a lot of clinic or that surgery/medicine mix, I'd look into ENT, uro, ophtho, and GS.

I think you also have to think about what kind of pathology, cases, and outcomes get you going. Whatever field has the bread and butter (most common cases) that you'd be excited/happy to do, I'd focus on that, because you will likely spend most of your time doing those procedures.

So I guess I was not to specific. Lol My apologies. I don’t want to have like CRAZY amounts of clinic but maybe two days a week?

I know I like the majority of specialties I’ve shadowed. I like being in the ED but I don’t like that there is a lack of patient-physician relationships.

I like the the trauma cases. Lol. I know that’s the typical answer, however I like the pace and excitement of the ED a lot.

That narrows it down to all of them.

Get more exposure to all of them. You need to start looking at what each of them does on a day to day basis. What is there bread and butter? Do you like those cases? For example craniectomies are cool, but the majority of a neurosurgery practice is spine. Do you want more medicine? Or do you just want to be a technician? These are the questions you need to ask yourself as you look into different surgical fields.

This is all assuming you are competitive for each of them obviously, which is a big if unfortunately.

What do you mean a technician?

I really appreciate your input! I know it’s a leap I just know I want to be in the OR and also have 1-2 days of clinic.
I like the ORTHO days I’ve spent almost the most.

thank you for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
So I guess I was not to specific. Lol My apologies. I don’t want to have like CRAZY amounts of clinic but maybe two days a week?

I know I like the majority of specialties I’ve shadowed. I like being in the ED but I don’t like that there is a lack of patient-physician relationships.

I like the the trauma cases. Lol. I know that’s the typical answer, however I like the pace and excitement of the ED a lot.

You could have 2 days a week in a lot of fields. Sounds like ortho's up your alley.

You could have 2 days a week in a lot of fields. Sounds like ortho's up your alley.

Im thinking so too. We shall see! Thank you!
One thing I did want to mention is that I really admire innovative aspects of medicine as well.

Im thinking so too. We shall see! Thank you!
One thing I did want to mention is that I really admire innovative aspects of medicine as well.

In that case, I'd consider plastic surgery. Innovation and creativity are substantial aspects of the field's culture.

In that case, I'd consider plastic surgery. Innovation and creativity are substantial aspects of the field's culture.

I like what I’ve seen of plastics so far. However I’ve read that it’s almost unfeasible as a DO.

I like what I’ve seen of plastics so far. However I’ve read that it’s almost unfeasible as a DO.

No, it's totally feasible if you go the GS -> plastics route. But I'll say that it's getting more competitive because that pathway is slowly dying out. Integrated plastics is the route that's close to impossible.

Hello everyone. I was recently accepted to a DO school this cycle and wanted to make this post.

While I realize this is premature and I should not be worrying about what specialty I want to go into as of yet however I am very interested in surgery.

I have a pretty good backstory with neurosurgery and would love to match NS (I had a craniectomy when I was 5 due to chiari malformation and this is what caused me to go into medicine). I know that neurosurgery is going to be a stretch because I am attending an osteopathic school.

I have shadowed NS, ortho, plastics, and some other specialties. I also work as an ED scribe right now and I know that I would like to be in the OR but also have clinic as well. I was looking into GS but IDK. I want variety, OR, and relationships with my future patients.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I know that I will see more on rotations, however I want to sort of look into other specialties prior to doing rotations so I have some type of idea.
Preface: I'm sorry for coming off as "mean" (I don't intend to, but that's how this is def gonna sound)

I'm going to assume you don't know anything at all about any of these fields as you're barely a first-year as you've already alluded to this fact. Shadowing as a premed does little to tell you what these fields entail. It's fine to be interested in all these fields, but a little awareness goes a long way. Of all surgical fields, GS and ortho I think are the most DO friendly. Therefore, you're best off looking into those first if you're really interested in surgery. Like slowthai and you have both mentioned, plastics is likely not in the cards for you (who knows how long this independent path will even exist?... also people that get these spots are f***ing beasts and 95%+ of the time MDs). Neither is neurosurgery likely (there was a recent thread about this). ENT is also ridiculously competitive with a proportion of MDs going unmatched every year.

Medicine is such a huge world and there's def a speciality you'll call home eventually. You could be sewing up lacs in the ED to embolizing tumors in livers as an interventionalist to something even weirder. I'll add radiology, itself, is such a whole universe of medicine and science people have no idea about before even their fourth-year sometimes.

TLDR: know the statistics and what scores you have to have for these pathways, and keep your mind open. There're so many premed and first-year threads about "Am I competitive for [ridiculously competitive surgical subspecialty]?!?" But very few threads from those people about radiology, pathology, PM&R, etc. with each of those specialties having a rich history of medicine as well as science.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, it's totally feasible if you go the GS -> plastics route. But I'll say that it's getting more competitive because that pathway is slowly dying out. Integrated plastics is the route that's close to impossible.
I believe the 2020 charting outcomes showed that 0% of DOs matched to integrated plastics

I believe the 2020 charting outcomes showed that 0% of DOs matched to integrated plastics

That's correct. I don't see any DOs snagging an integrated spot unless they're willing to be a research slave like forever, and even then, odds are low. Either that or your parent is the chair.

Preface: I'm sorry for coming off as "mean" (I don't intend to, but that's how this is def gonna sound)

I'm going to assume you don't know anything at all about any of these fields as you're barely a first-year as you've already alluded to this fact. Shadowing as a premed does little to tell you what these fields entail. It's fine to be interested in all these fields, but a little awareness goes a long way. Of all surgical fields, GS and ortho I think are the most DO friendly. Therefore, you're best off looking into those first if you're really interested in surgery. Like slowthai and you have both mentioned, plastics is likely not in the cards for you (who knows how long this independent path will even exist?... also people that get these spots are f***ing beasts and 95%+ of the time MDs). Neither is neurosurgery likely (there was a recent thread about this). ENT is also ridiculously competitive with a proportion of MDs going unmatched every year.

Medicine is such a huge world and there's def a speciality you'll call home eventually. You could be sewing up lacs in the ED to embolizing tumors in livers as an interventionalist to something even weirder. I'll add radiology, itself, is such a whole universe of medicine and science people have no idea about before even their fourth-year sometimes.

TLDR: know the statistics and what scores you have to have for these pathways, and keep your mind open. There're so many premed and first-year threads about "Am I competitive for [ridiculously competitive surgical subspecialty]?!?" But very few threads from those people about radiology, pathology, PM&R, etc. with each of those specialties having a rich history of medicine as well as science.

I really appreciate your advice! I don’t feel you sounded harsh at all! Though I work in the ED so not much sounds rude to me lol. I can appreciate the fact that I don’t know jack **** about what these specialties actually entail (I only shadowed each for a couple days).

I want to do surgery for sure. I would love to do maybe GS —> Trauma or Ortho. I guess I’m really open to all subsurgical specialties. One of my mentors is an osteopathic neurosurgeon, however he matched 15 some odd years ago.

I’m definitely going in open minded because I know DOs mostly end up in primary care however I really would like to shoot for the stars and land a competitive specialty. I know for sure that I would to save life’s and better the quality not just maintain illnesses.

Hey I mean this in the nicest way possible but you need to chill out a little. You went from posting about an undergrad GPA of sub 3.0 to wanting all the competitive surgical specialties, and med school is a whole different ball game than undergrad. I suggest spending time with family and relaxing before you start next year maybe working on study skills. If you really want to ask local people to shadow so you can see their practice.
The local hospital here has 2 DO NS both of them have said to expect to only see 2-3 DO matches a year from here on out.
Nothing wrong with wanting to shoot for the top but just know starting at a new school doesn't all of a sudden change your skills as a learner.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey I mean this in the nicest way possible but you need to chill out a little. You went from posting about an undergrad GPA of sub 3.0 to wanting all the competitive surgical specialties, and med school is a whole different ball game than undergrad. I suggest spending time with family and relaxing before you start next year maybe working on study skills. If you really want to ask local people to shadow so you can see their practice.
The local hospital here has 2 DO NS both of them have said to expect to only see 2-3 DO matches a year from here on out.
Nothing wrong with wanting to shoot for the top but just know starting at a new school doesn't all of a sudden change your skills as a learner.

I get that and I was waiting for someone to comment this haha. I was only a sub 3.0 undergrad student because I worked 80+ hours a week taking care of a family of 4 haha. I understand your concern. I don’t necessarily only want the Uber competitive specialties however I want to shoot for the stars from the start instead of like undergrad and waiting until my final two years to have a 3.8.

To second the above. My undergrad GPA was due to failing 8 classes early on and I thought I had prove it wasn’t my study skills by getting a 3.8 GPA over 60 credits of upper division sciences. I get medical school will be difficult but I don’t really want to equate my performance in undergrad that was related to working to keep my mother and siblings from going back to a shelter to how I will perform in medical school since I will have no obligations (even less than when I did get the 3.8 over the two years of upper level sciences).
However I see where you and others would be skeptical.

Just be honest with yourself. If you think you can do, go for it! I'm a fellow incoming medical student as well. I'm interested in orthopedic surgery, but I also like radiology and PM&R. Keeping my options and mind wide open heading into MS1!

Oh I’m not set on only competitive specialties and I’m definitely going for it. I don’t think @drstranger had any I’ll intent behind their comment. I also don’t think they were aware of my amazing ending trend over two years. I know I will succeed in medical school. I was just curious for surgical suggestions! I’m excited to start this journey.

You're so happy and excited. Before you know it, you'll just be an empty husk of burnt ember and ash just like me. Like many above have said, take a deep breath and a step back, spend time doing the best you can on your grades and boards, spend time with family. Before you know it you'll be an intern and realize how much time you actually had in med school. And be wary, to paraphrase @droliver, "Many people are more fascinated by the idea of becoming a surgeon, and not necessarily the work to become one." Or something like that. Don't forget to use the search function and read through old threads about various surgical specialties. Cheers.

Reactions: 15 users
Ain't that the ****ing truth. 8 months left of fellowship....

Embrace the suck and keep grinding along baby. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, just make sure it ain't a train. Cheers.

Embrace the suck and keep grinding along baby. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, just make sure it ain't a train. Cheers.

There is light Definitely. And while 1st year as an attending was one of my most stressful in recent memory, it was a different kind of stress and there was much less chronic exhaustion. I realized a couple weeks ago I was feeling that “fellowship” level chronic exhaustion and realized that other than a couple 3 day weekends, I hadn’t taken any vacation time almost all year. Because you know, Covid. So I’m taking a week off in November. The opportunity to engage in more deliberate self-care is part of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 4 users
You already know the challenges facing you as a DO. Furthermore, you have no idea how you’ll perform and how realistic anything surgery will be for you. With that said, try to get exposure early on, see what you’re interested in most, and work hard towards that goal. Have some back up plans if that doesn’t work.

regarding clinic/long term relationships: any cancer related field will give you that opportunity as a surgeon. From GS- breast, endocrine, colorectal, surgical oncology would give you the opportunity to have long term relationships. There will likely be real logistical pressures to minimize such relationships beyond a certain amount of follow up as you get busier in your career. You also might want that less as time goes on.

I’m going to chime in just to say to keep your mind open. You “know” you want to do surgery, but you actually don’t know that. Surgical fields are very different from what most people expect, and shadowing doesn’t really give you realistic insight.

Additionally, most med students change their minds. Like 75%. You will do yourself a disservice being hyper focused on one area, when you might have discovered something else that you’d be an even better fit for. I was 100% set on a surgical specialty at the beginning of med school, and now just going into my clerkships, I’ve discovered there are a couple other areas I’m super interested in that were at the bottom of my list prior to med school.

Thank you to everyone who has offered adivce!

I will be definitely going in open minded and while I want to be a surgeon and help people the way my neurosurgeon helped me, the goal is to be a physician and help people. So I will maintain an open mind for sure.
I’m not air headed, I know that I actually have no clue as to the entirety of a surgeons day and Such just from shadowing.

I have also began looking around to other specialties and what exactly they do. I am very open minded. I just want to shoot for the stars.

I just want to shoot for the stars.

That’s a good mindset to have, but keep in mind that saying things like you are interested in surgery because you want to “shoot for the stars” implies that those of us interested in other fields are somehow aiming lower. That’s a good way to rub people the wrong way.

That’s a good mindset to have, but keep in mind that saying things like you are interested in surgery because you want to “shoot for the stars” implies that those of us interested in other fields are somehow aiming lower. That’s a good way to rub people the wrong way.

I think we can all agree that surgery is cooler than non-surgery.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

That's understandable. I in no way meant that in such a way. I mean shoot for the stars with my academics in medical school. I don't see any specialty as inferior to any other specialty.

I am interested in interventional cardiology and I would have been happy being an EM physician if I hadn't read about the terrible future of EM. I am interested in an abundance of specialties. I just want to be smart about what I pick to do for the rest of my life.

Thank you to everyone who has offered adivce!

I will be definitely going in open minded and while I want to be a surgeon and help people the way my neurosurgeon helped me, the goal is to be a physician and help people. So I will maintain an open mind for sure.
I’m not air headed, I know that I actually have no clue as to the entirety of a surgeons day and Such just from shadowing.

I have also began looking around to other specialties and what exactly they do. I am very open minded. I just want to shoot for the stars.

All joking aside, you should shoot for the stars in the sense that you keep all doors open, to the extent possible. Get the best grades, best step score, do research, get exposure and network so that when it comes time to chose a specialty you do something you like, in a location you prefer.

one of my smartest classmates wanted to do rural family medicine and now works in a small town where she does Wild West medicine. Anything from intubating infants in the ED to full spectrum inpatient/outpatient medicine. That was her idea of shooting for the stars and she got exactly what she wanted.

Reactions: 5 users
All joking aside, you should shoot for the stars in the sense that you keep all doors open, to the extent possible. Get the best grades, best step score, do research, get exposure and network so that when it comes time to chose a specialty you do something you like, in a location you prefer.

one of my smartest classmates wanted to do rural family medicine and now works in a small town where she does Wild West medicine. Anything from intubating infants in the ED to full spectrum inpatient/outpatient medicine. That was her idea of shooting for the stars and she got exactly what she wanted.

Thank you! This is What I meant by shooting for the stars. I want to make sure I can do any specialty that I end up enjoying. I may end up really enjoying pm&r and hate surgery( I don't think that's going to happen however anything is possible).

I was talking to some mentors in the ED and they said to relax and just go with the flow but to begin doing some research as to wht each field does.

I know I'm a long way off from choosing.

I just like to be well prepared.

I think we can all agree that surgery is cooler than non-surgery.

00E0760E-55DD-4EC2-A4C3-DE192E771862.gif

I remember that high of just getting an acceptance to my dream med school

But yes my 2 cents is to chill

You have a long way to go my friend and you are throwing out all kinds of specialties there. You will figure it out over the next 4 yrs.

Just enjoy this period of your life while it lasts.

• Love
I'd recommend checking out PMR. They do some simple procedures (botox, etc.) and there is definitely the patient-doctor relationship that you want.

• Love