Which surgery specialty rotation has relatively better hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For rotations, I heard trauma, neurosurg, etc generally don't have great hours but what are some specialty/gen surgeries that are easier?

Members don't see this ad.

For rotations, I heard trauma, neurosurg, etc generally don't have great hours but what are some specialty/gen surgeries that are easier?

Ophthalmology.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is going to be so dependent on your school and the residents. I'd ask people at your school.

Reactions: 1 user
Vascular surgery. Quick cases. Minimal complications. Healthy and robust patient base. Cool tech. Sophisticated watch making kind of surgery in the morning, power tools in the afternoon. Very much a lifestyle specialty.

Reactions: 19 users
Vascular surgery. Quick cases. Minimal complications. Healthy and robust patient base. Cool tech. Sophisticated watch making kind of surgery in the morning, power tools in the afternoon. Very much a lifestyle specialty.

Vascular surgery = healthy and robust patient base ???

Are you sure you're a resident

Can confirm. Am resident.

Almost forgot to mention. Vascular patients are also super compliant. You tell them to stop smoking. Boom. It’s done. Cigarettes down the toilet. You ask them to lose some weight and control their sugars. Boom. It’s done. Twinkie’s down the toilet.

Reactions: 32 users

Almost forgot to mention. Vascular patients are also super compliant. You tell them to stop smoking. Boom. It’s done. Cigarettes down the toilet. You ask them to lose some weight and control their sugars. Boom. It’s done. Twinkie’s down the toilet.

I'm guessing sarcasm doesn't travel well across the electrons, as @Goro puts it.

Reactions: 7 users

Dude, I'm rolling over here.

Reactions: 6 users
Urology is a pretty cush deal. Lots of office hours. Not a ton of on call emergencies that can't be handled the next morning. Pay is great.

Thanks everyone! Is vascular surgery generally pretty bad in terms of hours and stressful to rotate through? My options for surgery rotations part I are: bariatric, colorectal, pediatric, surgical oncology, and trauma. Would bariatric and pediatric be better to rotate through?

For part 2 of surgery rotations, my options are: anesthesia, interventional radiology, plastics, endocrine, ENT, SICU (there aren't any operations in SICU right, just learning how to care for patients in SICU?), and urology.

I don't want anything intense and have no interest in going into a surgical field. I know so little about all these specialty surgeries so if those who are more knowledgeable can offer some advice on what to choose that'd be really helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! Is vascular surgery generally pretty bad in terms of hours and stressful to rotate through? My options for surgery rotations part I are: bariatric, colorectal, pediatric, surgical oncology, and trauma. Would bariatric and pediatric be better to rotate through?

For part 2 of surgery rotations, my options are: anesthesia, interventional radiology, plastics, endocrine, ENT, SICU (there aren't any operations in SICU right, just learning how to care for patients in SICU?), and urology.

I don't want anything intense and have no interest in going into a surgical field. I know so little about all these specialty surgeries so if those who are more knowledgeable can offer some advice on what to choose that'd be really helpful. Thank you!
All of these are going to be institutional dependent. Your best bet is to talk to people who have already rotated through surgery and see what they think will be the lightest.

Bariatrics or colorectal would probably be the lightest in the first group. From a learning perspective colorectal would probably be better and prepare you more for the shelf. Out of the second group I would probably pick either SICU or anesthesia?

Reactions: 1 users
Anesthesiology, if your school offers it as a surgical subspecialty.

My vote for funniest post of 2018 (so far) !! :p

You're going to kill some poor kid who didn't read all the way down the thread...

Urology is a pretty cush deal. Lots of office hours. Not a ton of on call emergencies that can't be handled the next morning. Pay is great.

Depends on your shop. If you're doing a bunch of open reconstructions you can be pretty busy/the hours can be pretty long. Though not operating every day definitely does help you keep your hours down.

All of these are going to be institutional dependent. Your best bet is to talk to people who have already rotated through surgery and see what they think will be the lightest.

Bariatrics or colorectal would probably be the lightest in the first group. From a learning perspective colorectal would probably be better and prepare you more for the shelf. Out of the second group I would probably pick either SICU or anesthesia?

I'd assume anything ICU-related is going to be pretty difficult, no?

Endocrine surgery, breast surgery, surgical oncology that handles melanoma. These cases are usually non-emergent and essentially never done at night. The cases are also super short so you don't spend forever in the OR.