Which Step Should I Take First?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunz81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up final year at an Indian Med School (I'm a US Citizen who came here after high school) and I was planning on joining Kaplan for Step I once I got back to America. But there are a lot of people who did medicine abroad who are telling me that I should take Step II and THEN Step I because I will be just fresh out of Med, Sur, OBGYN. I'm kinda nervous about doing something outside the norm, but I'm ready if I think it'll be better for me in the long run. Did anyone here actually do this, or know someone that did? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

the USMLE Step I deals with the basic sciences from the first 2 years of US medical schools

the USMLE Step II CK and CS deals with the clinical sciences (internal medicine, surgery, ob/gyn, psych, pediatrics and family medicine), both the written and practical aspects.

if u remember ur anatomy, physio, histo etc...then go for the step 1...residency programs require u to take the step 1 in order to apply.

I haven't been in touch with basic science for over 2 years now, that's what worries me. But I know that residency progs require Step 1 to apply, which is why I was planning on going that route. But all these idiots keep telling my parents to tell me to do the opposite. I just wanted to find out once and for all if these people knew what they were talking about or not. I was pretty sure they were talking out of their a$$e$ but now I know for sure. Thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
all US residency programs require Step 1....and some programs require Step 2

As an IMG they require both Step I & II. One of the biggest Kaplan centers is in my town and i meet a lot of the kids there taking the USMLE prep courses. I have actually met a lot of people who did do exactly that, took step II because they were right out of clinicals and then took time off to study for step I.