Which states can you pay instate tuition after 1st year of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamburgers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that in Ohio you can start paying instate tuition after you have attended school there for a year. Are there other states like that? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is true in Alabama as well. There was a thread about this the other day that was pretty long. Do a search.

I believe that in the New Jersey med schools, you can pay in-state tuition from the 1st year.

What about California?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think in California you can do it. I know you can't in Michigan, and I think (but not sure) you can't in North Carolina either.

But to do it in California, it takes more than just going to school there for a year. You also have to prove that you really have made it your home state, which means changing your drivers license and vehicle registration, your voting registration, etc.

During my interview at UConn they told us that you can get in-state tuition there after the first year. I don't think that was anywhere else in their materials. They also have regional tuition there if you are from Maine, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island.

I heard at Downstate you can start paying in-state tuition after a year, but only by becoming a New York state resident.

As I hear, you merely have to live a year within the state BUT NOT LIVING IN DORMS.

Therefore when you go to the school in question, you need to find a place off campus, and the ease of doing that would depend on the area surrounding the school.

I know that's how it works in New York, it might be the same for other states.