Which specialty offers the most flexibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Flexibility meaning ability to practice in the European Union, ability to find jobs anywhere in the United States, opportunities to work part-time or full-time, etc.

I'm a dual EU/American citizen and it's important to me that my skillset is important and desired everywhere. Are some specialties not recognized/not needed or fully understood by the rest of the world?

Specifically, I'm interested in primary care. Is primary care considered very desirable all over the US and by EU countries as well? It would suck to work hard for all these years, and find out that my other home country, Germany, would not want me haha.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Flexibility meaning ability to practice in the European Union, ability to find jobs anywhere in the United States, opportunities to work part-time or full-time, etc.

I'm a dual EU/American citizen and it's important to me that my skillset is important and desired everywhere. Are some specialties not recognized/not needed or fully understood by the rest of the world?

Specifically, I'm interested in primary care. Is primary care considered very desirable all over the US and by EU countries as well? It would suck to work hard for all these years, and find out that my other home country, Germany, would not want me haha.

Thanks.
you should always go to medical school in the country (or maybe union in the case of the EU) that you intend to practice in. It is long and painful to transfer afterward. The only exception is if you're a Canadian wanting to work in the US (that I know of), but that point is largely moot as US med schools are easier to get into than Canadian ones.

you should always go to medical school in the country (or maybe union in the case of the EU) that you intend to practice in. It is long and painful to transfer afterward. The only exception is if you're a Canadian wanting to work in the US (that I know of), but that point is largely moot as US med schools are easier to get into than Canadian ones.
I definitely want to stay in the US, but I like to have a back-up plan in case I need to live in the EU. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can only practice in the US if you do residency in the US. I expect most of the countries in the EU are the same. I was under the impression that the individual counties certified their physicians, not the EU, but I that is not my area of expertise.

i don’t know about EU but outpatient psychiatry seem to have good hours
Is it possible to become a medical nomad and practice psychiatry entirely through telehealth? I am unfamiliar with the legality of practicing psychiatry virtually with US patients while residing in Europe.

Reactions: 1 user
FM has reciprocity via royal college with Australia, Canada, UK, New Zeland, USA

Is it possible to become a medical nomad and practice psychiatry entirely through telehealth? I am unfamiliar with the legality of practicing psychiatry virtually with US patients while residing in Europe.
Good question. I’m not really sure but I doubt it. In some states, providers can’t even see out of state patients via telehealth

Good question. I’m not really sure but I doubt it. In some states, providers can’t even see out of state patients via telehealth
This is due to licensing. You can only see patients in states you're licensed in. If someone lives in FL and you're only licensed in GA, you can't see them via telehealth just because it's telehealth.

I don't know why you'd have the same issue with just living elsewhere and seeing patients who live somewhere you're licensed via telehealth, but honestly every physician board/certification agency is so convoluted it's a distinct possibility.

This is due to licensing. You can only see patients in states you're licensed in. If someone lives in FL and you're only licensed in GA, you can't see them via telehealth just because it's telehealth.

I don't know why you'd have the same issue with just living elsewhere and seeing patients who live somewhere you're licensed via telehealth, but honestly every physician board/certification agency is so convoluted it's a distinct possibility.
My healthcare system doesn’t allow us to see patients via telehealth while we are physically in another state (ie while on vacation), even if we are Licensed in that state the patient is in. I not an expert, as i have no wish to practice this way.

It’s nothing to do with board certification (which is private) versus Licensing (which is a state or public function). For example I am a physician in New York with a patient New York. I am on vacation in my ski house in Vermont with my patient spending the winter in Florida. I have a formal telehealth session with them. A mistake it’s made, something gets missed, they wind up in the ER or the hospital, they now want to take legal action. Where would the action take place? They were in Florida the injury happened while they were in Florida they could sue me in Florida court, Including practicing without a license in Florida. Does my malpractice insurance cover me? These are issues that remain problems
That's interesting, thanks for the elaboration. In the second paragraph I meant licensing boards per state etc, not actual board cert for specialty, but I can see that the wording is vague.

It def seems like those are loopholes that need to be addressed ASAP though. Telehealth is getting so common now, it's weird to not have provisions or at least address concerns like this imo.