Which should I choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangecremely

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Time is valuable and it is quite valuable when you are 10 points short of your MCAT goal score. Two hours per day that you aren't spending in the car and $2 more per hour while you are there makes Clinic B a slam dunk for me.

Employer LORs, even if the writer is an alumnus of the medical school, don't hold much weight. Sweet patients and nice colleagues are a plus but are greatly outweighed by the savings in time and the extra money you'd acquire by jumping to Clinic B.

Reactions: 5 users
Clinic B and don't even think twice about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m afraid of offending my employer though :(. Because I’ve only worked there for like 2 weeks. I think she did take a chance on me because I told her that I live super far away. I also feel like I’m doing something bad to someone who gave me a chance when she really didn’t have to. But you’re right, I am leaning towards clinic B even though I really like clinic A’s patients and colleagues
I can't speak to your personal feelings on the matter or address any sense of guilt, but in terms of what is best for your long-term goals, I would definitely recommend clinic B.

It is highly unlikely that you have a binding contract there.... Cut bait with apologies for not realizing how much a 3 hour round-trip commute would take out of you each day.

Given that it was only two weeks, and given that you are not obligated to put everything you've ever done on your AMCAS application, don't even list this 2 weeks of employment.... no one will know.

The employer will not be offiended. A year from now the employer might not even remember your name. Express some regret that the job didn't work out from your end due to the commute -- it's not them, or you, but the distance between home & clinic -- and if they remember you later it will be fondly.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that volunteering is reasonable unless the clinic is a non-profit and you have a skill that is needed at the clinic and rare (eg. as an interpreter of a language that is uncommonly spoken in the area). If your time is valuable (and it is!!), volunteer somewhere closer to home, particularly in a non-clinical setting if you are working in a clinic (in other words, help at a soup kitchen, tutoring program for kids, friendly visitor for the elderly, etc)

Clinic B is my vote.

At my clinic, we’ve had a few staff recently who left after a short period of time. I honestly can’t remember their names despite being part of the interview and management team. Things come up and businesses move on.

They may be frustrated at having to refill the position, but that’s ultimately their role. Address it like LizzyM suggested above, and it should be fine.

Just to double check (sorry, last question), I should or should NOT? From what you’ve said, I‘m thinking you’re saying that i should because that further explains my reasoning for quitting.

Yes. You are correct. You should state that you have found a job closer to home and that is why you are resigning.