Which schools cover the cost of licensing exams???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone knows if NOva covers the cost of the comlex. Also if you choose to take the USMLE, i guess you have to pay for that on your own...right?

Which other schools cover the costs of the licensing exams? I guess it might be easier to list the schools that don't cover these costs??? How much are the exams?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Members don't see this ad.

As far as "cover" do you mean they include it in your tuition or do you pay separately? I very much doubt any school pays for it out of the goodness of their heart. NYCOM students pay separately right now, but they may include the cost in tuition next year. I think it runs around $300, but I could be wrong. I very much doubt any school would pay for the USMLE, nor should they IMO, as it's not part of osteopathic curricula or licensing.

I don't know about Nova but I know VCOM makes all students take both exams and they pay for both of them. Also I think PCSOM pays for COMLEX among many other things including: laptop, scrubs, lab coats, and even books and fees. Very nice of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova does not cover the cost of the actual exam, but starting next year they are going to subsidize a Kaplan review. What would normally cost you about 1000 dollars will cost 200 plus you get their review books and materials. Not too shabby.

I don't know about Nova but I know VCOM makes all students take both exams and they pay for both of them. Also I think PCSOM pays for COMLEX among many other things including: laptop, scrubs, lab coats, and even books and fees. Very nice of them

I sincerely doubt the school is paying the bill, so-to-speak. This is why we have to write checks for tuition. VCOM is starting out with a healthy endowment ($100 million I believe), which may help, but I guarantee they're not using that money to buy students scrubs. What is the tuition at VCOM going to be anyway?

What would normally cost you about 1000 dollars will cost 200 plus you get their review books and materials. Not too shabby

The Kaplan course normally costs about $500, granted you can get enough students. Less if you just want the Q bank. If you're paying $1000 you're getting ripped off. If you just want the books you can find them usually from an upperclassmen or on ebay for less than $100. Regardless, the "subsidized" portion will be coming out of your tuition unless the state or a private donor ponies up a grant.

I agree that the cost of the exams will be accounted for by the tuition. However, I think this is a good thing b/c it allows students to not have to worry about coming up with that money when the time comes. I am sure preparations for the exam take place along with the regular demands of class. I am not a med student so correct me if I'm wrong. Tuition at VCOM is 29,500.00, plus 1200.00 in fees, plus books and everything else that is needed. This is really expensive, no? This is the biggest deterrent that VCOM has.

Wowzas, almost $30,000 for a brand new school? Yes, that's a tad pricey. I thought NYCOM was expensive at around 25K. For $29,500, they should definitely pay for your boards, scrubs, laptops, back massages, etc. ;) I'd personally would rather have lower tuition and be able to buy the laptop I want or use the scrubs I already have, but I guess it does save you the work of having to go find it all. Anyway, good luck in virginia. Enjoy life between now and school.

PCSOM pays for both step I and II of the COMLEX. They also pay for books, laptop, scrubs, Kaplan review course, opp table and a handful of other things...not bad for 25,000 per and if you take the KY scholarship it reduces the cost to about 10,600 per.

AZCOM covers the cost of Comlex step 1 and 2. For the USMLE your on your own.

Nichole Taylor MS3
AZCOM

PCOM covers the cost of Step 1, but i think that's about it.

Scott-MSII
PCOM