Which Schools Are Heavy on Leadership and School Involvement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this coming cycle, and was just wondering which schools are big on leadership, research, and school involvement. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

ummm? they all are big on those things

ummm? they all are big on those things

LoL. I should have been more specific. Which of them place more emphasis on leadership, research, or school involvement than say clinical exposure with patient contact/interaction?

Members don't see this ad :)
LoL. I should have been more specific. Which of them place more emphasis on leadership, research, or school involvement than say clinical exposure with patient contact/interaction?

Even when you rephrase it, it literally is all the schools. You'll be hard pressed to get into any school if you have minimal clinical exposure and can articulate clearly why you've chosen medicine as a career. On the other hand, a school isn't going to look down on you because you have lots of leadership/research. All the schools want individuals of their classes to have those qualities.

Take a look at the selection criteria at University of Utah. While it is generally true that the more experience you have in some or all of the aforementioned areas, the stronger your application is for most schools, and by the same token, the more well-rounded you are as a person, I feel that UofU specifically requires you to have spent at least some small amount of time in a variety of activities just to be considered for admission at all.

http://medicine.utah.edu/admissions/criteria/index.htm

Off the top of my head, I'd say UofU and Ohio state are pretty big on community service, clinical exposure, and leadership.

Many of the big research schools (basically the top 10-30) like it if you have done a lot of research.

"The average applicant devotes 20 hours per week during each of the 4 years prior to entering medical school to activities such as volunteer service, research, athletics, student government and family obligations."

Seriously? 20 hours/week?! For 4 years? I *may* have gotten to that as a senior, but come on. Most people don't do that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.