which school? (opinion based)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podiatrist22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask what you guys thought. I got accepted to temple and barry. Since I live a hour away from barry its something im considering because it will help me save some money for living costs.

Which one is a better choice? Also I got an interview at scholl, but not going unless its really a better choice than barry or temple.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to ask what you guys thought. I got accepted to temple and barry. Since I live a hour away from barry its something im considering because it will help me save some money for living costs.

Which one is a better choice? Also I got an interview at scholl, but not going unless its really a better choice then barry or temple.
I'd choose the school that's an hour from my home.

edit: Ninja edit.

Last edited:
I'd choose the school that's an hour from my home.

edit: Ninja edit.[/QUOTE

haha. I fixed it. Either school I would have to get my own place. The day of the interview Barry did not show the anatomy lab : /. I guess I'm thinking the same thing, the chance to visit home without a plane ticket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barry.... it's warm and near the beach. And close to home. No brainer.

what about you guys? Are you guys enrolled already or applying?

...wait you plan to drive an hour each way every day before and after class? Big mistake. You will need those 10 hours/week to study. Believe me.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of your education.

Are there specific goals? Or is the ability to cheaply visit home more important?

I don't say this in a condescending way, I say this because I'm married and, if there were a school much closer to home, it would have definitely been something to think about. Granted, that was for my wife, and I picked the school entirely based on the opportunities they would give my while there and after, but to each their own.

I suggest you develop specific goals and go from there, researching the schools to find which provides what you want. Considering the relatively short time you'll spend at the school compared to the potentially life-changing decision it is, it would seem more important to base your choice off of the future rather than the now.

...wait you plan to drive an hour each way every day before and after class? Big mistake. You will need those 10 hours/week to study. Believe me.

the OP did not say they were going to commute, just that it was closer to home and that meant they wouldn't have to buy a plane ticket to go home. Also, I presume it leaves the opportunity to drive home on a given weekend, if time and scheduling permits. Not to mention if there was a family emergency....

They stated they would be getting their own place at either school.

the OP did not say they were going to commute, just that it was closer to home and that meant they wouldn't have to buy a plane ticket to go home. Also, I presume it leaves the opportunity to drive home on a given weekend, if time and scheduling permits. Not to mention if there was a family emergency....

They stated they would be getting their own place at either school.

yup. When I spoke to other people they all keep saying the same thing......"it doesn't matter where you are going....as long as you do well on the boards and land a good residency". My goal is to focus on surgery and hopefully work in Florida.

Also, did anybody see the anatomy lab for Barry?

yup. When I spoke to other people they all keep saying the same thing......"it doesn't matter where you are going....as long as you do well on the boards and land a good residency". My goal is to focus on surgery and hopefully work in Florida.

Also, did anybody see the anatomy lab for Barry?

Exactly. I just spoke to my DPM about this yesterday. He graduated top 10 from Temple and told me to just do well and make sure I got into a good residency, because that is a huge determinant for your career. He went to Temple because he is from Philly.

Sorry, haven't seen the lab at Barry.

If I were in your situation, I would choose Barry. I am currently a 4th year student there and there are quite a bit of students who live at home and travel an hour plus to get home. There are ways to study while driving. Record the lectures. You can read questions and answer them and then listen to those in the car. You can use that time to explain concepts out loud so you learn the material better. Don't listen to the nay sayers. You are going to have free time to see family and enjoy your life, not around finals and multiple test weeks though.
I have met many students from all of the schools while on my externships and we all agree it doesn't really matter what school you went to, rather how you applied yourself at your school. We all use the same books, journals, ...etc. Go where you will enjoy and where your life would be less hectic and stressful. In your case with your family so close and having grown up in Southern Florida, I would say Barry would be a good fit for you.
As far as the anatomy lab, I saw the old one and also the renovated one. It is nice and you will learn anatomy while inside of it. Having the best anatomy lab will not make you memorize the material better. Hard work, a good study partner, and repetition will allow you to learn anatomy.

YO, you GOTTA' choose Philly......how else are you gonna get a cheesesteak wit or witout?

Seriously though, I took the opposite outlook. I lived about one half hour from one of the schools and chose another school about that was a plane ride away. I didn't want the distractions of home and wanted to be on my own to gain independence.

Regardless, it's a personal decision and only you know what will work best for you. Ultimately, as you were told, you can obtain an excellent education at any of the schools. It's up to you to take advantage of the training at whichever school you choose.

YO, you GOTTA' choose Philly......how else are you gonna get a cheesesteak wit or witout?

OMG, I'm soooo driving up to get one now!! Steve's FTW!! Although I really like Tony Luke's...

I am currently a first year in Barry and the reason they did not show you the anatomy lab is because it is being renovated. By the time you start it will be done.