which scholarship is easiest and hardest to get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korndoctor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you guys rank which military scholarship is easiest to hardest to get for fall 2010 cycle? Which military division has most scholarships available and least amount available this year?

Also, is it advisable to apply to all three: air force, army, and navy or just apply to one?

edit: For Dental

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
people view this but dont wanna help answer my questions? thanks if u do any help is gratifying

do students usually apply to one branch of military or is it more wise to apply to all three and see which ones will give scholarship>

also which is the easiest and hardest branch?

does air force have height requirement...is 5 ft 7 too short for me weighing 180 ibs?

people view this but dont wanna help answer my questions? thanks if u do any help is gratifying

do students usually apply to one branch of military or is it more wise to apply to all three and see which ones will give scholarship>

does air force have height requirement...is 5 ft 7 too short for me weighing 180 ibs?
I am applying for the air force scholarship right now. I was told they only have about 40 national scholarships available so depending on your stats, it may be a good idea to "shop around"
as far as difficulty in getting the scholarship, it probably goes army - navy - air force from easiest to hardest (at least based on what I've heard, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The requirement is weight depending on your height. I'm also 5'7", and I was around 180 lbs when I began applying. They said that's right at the limit. I'm down to around 168 now, but they said 180 should be ok. Remember there will be physical requirements for all the branches, so now is the time to begin getting into shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Korn,

First of all, don't bitch that people are reading and not answering. They might not know the answer. If you know there are a fairly small number of us who active answer people's questions. The rest of the people come here to get our opinions.

As for ranking hardness of getting a scholarship for the FY 2010, no one can accurately predict which branch will be harder. If you go by historical averages, Air Force had the highest ratio of number of applicants to scholarships available. Army has had the least ratio of applicants to scholarships available. That said, the AF almost always fills their schlarships and the Army up until this year has had a hard time. The Navy sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. But if you were to use this year as a guide of how hard next year will be to get one, It will be harder since all scholarships filled up fast. Plus, based on people who are trying to get scholarships right now are beig told by reruiters (plus the info from one person I know who was in charge of getting the funding for the Navy scholarships), there are already waiting lists for the scholarships once the funding is approved for FY 2010. So, it is impossible to know how many are going to actually be left after the new oes are given to the people on the lists.

AF has the least number of scholarships because they have had a higher retention rate and they are the smallest branch of service of the three. Not sure of the exact number of Navy and Army scholarships. But I don't believe there is a huge difference in numbers available.

Height / Weight scale for the AF - the maximum weight for someone 5'7 is 175. So, if you are muscular and trim, you have nothing to worry about being 5 pounds over. But if you have a few padded pounds, you'll need to undergo a body-fat measurement test. In order to qualify for enlistment, a male, age 29 or less must have no more than 20 percent body fat. A male 30 years or older can have no more than 24 percent body fat.

Hope that helps.

Actually the AF doesn't have a weight standard anymore. We do look at your BMI, but more emphasis is placed on your waist measurement. Where BMI comes into play is on your PT test. If your waist is bigger than the size to get max points and your BMI is in the healthy range, you will get full points for that part of your PT test.

I think the other parts have been answered fairly well. I will add one thing. Some recruiters will frown on you applying to all the services. I say, if you can and you don't mind which branch you end up in, do it. You need to do what is best for you. We all need good applicants.

Actually the AF doesn't have a weight standard anymore. We do look at your BMI, but more emphasis is placed on your waist measurement. Where BMI comes into play is on your PT test. If your waist is bigger than the size to get max points and your BMI is in the healthy range, you will get full points for that part of your PT test.

I think the other parts have been answered fairly well. I will add one thing. Some recruiters will frown on you applying to all the services. I say, if you can and you don't mind which branch you end up in, do it. You need to do what is best for you. We all need good applicants.

I disagree with you here AFDDS. The AF does the BMI for active duty personnel, but applicants still need to meet height/weight scales. I went to the Air Force website and verified this by reading website info and chatting with one of the AF reps there.

THanks for all your replies.....since the application process is long and time intensive, i'm assuming most people just apply to one branch? though the benefits for all branch seem very similar.

where can i find that height/weight scale so i make sure i make it?

Air Force is toughest to get. Don't pay attention to "stats aren't out yet, can't predict, etc, etc" All services have pros and cons, but if you want AF jump on it pronto! Don't wait for recruiter to call you, keep on them if you think things are taking too long. The AF recruiters I've dealt with don't have to reply to your requests quickly because they have a hundred other people like you who want the scholarship.

Air Force is toughest to get. Don't pay attention to "stats aren't out yet, can't predict, etc, etc" All services have pros and cons, but if you want AF jump on it pronto! Don't wait for recruiter to call you, keep on them if you think things are taking too long. The AF recruiters I've dealt with don't have to reply to your requests quickly because they have a hundred other people like you who want the scholarship.

Prior, I am not going to say that the AF is not the toughest usually. But the way all the scholarships filled up early and the backlog of applicants this year who are waiting for their shot, there is no way to know for the FY 2010. I do know that if everyone who is waiting on a scholarship from the Navy decided to take it once the FY 2010 were available, there would be very few left for next year for those who have not applied already.

My point is, the way things are going right now and the number of people who are submitting applications, it doesn't matter which branch of service you want to apply to they are probably going to fill up quick next FY.

Good point Navy, doesn't matter which goes first if they are all gone in every service.

good point. so what were the pros/cons that caused you to lean towards AF and not army or navy?

thanks

Could you guys rank which military scholarship is easiest to hardest to get for fall 2010 cycle? Which military division has most scholarships available and least amount available this year?

Also, is it advisable to apply to all three: air force, army, and navy or just apply to one?

The first question that really ought to be asked is "Which branch offers me the best lifestyle that I'll be happy with?" Each branch's operation tempo is different, deployment cycles are different, facilities, etc etc etc.

That would be the first thing I ask, and worry about how "hard" it is to get the scholarship after.

The first question that really ought to be asked is "Which branch offers me the best lifestyle that I'll be happy with?" Each branch's operation tempo is different, deployment cycles are different, facilities, etc etc etc.

That would be the first thing I ask, and worry about how "hard" it is to get the scholarship after.

is there a quick way to find all that information because recruiters are hard to get in touch around this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a quick way to find all that information because recruiters are hard to get in touch around this time.

Your really not goig to get that info from the recruiters. Realistically, that needs to come from military dental officers who have been around for a while. Getting this info from your recruiter will be sketchy at best since they aren't dentists and have very limited exposure to the dental field and how they operate. More times than not, you will get a line of BS because they are too lazy to contact the people who need to be contacted to get your questions answered.

Korn,

It would be very beneficial to spend a few days reading through the top 3 threads as all your questions and concerns are answered multiple times in those threads.

Check the top of the page:
Ask and Army dentist
Ask and Navy dentist
Ask an AF dentist

Good luck.

Korn,

It would be very beneficial to spend a few days reading through the top 3 threads as all your questions and concerns are answered multiple times in those threads.

Ask and Army dentist
Ask and Navy dentist
Ask an AF dentist

Good luck.

On the applications, do u have to list every tests you taken. IE i took OAT before but i am very set on dental and have taken DAT. do i still have to list OAT score even though they are very low or can i just leave it out of the application?

Korn,

Ask and Army dentist
Ask and Navy dentist
Ask an AF dentist

Good luck.

Agreed. All a recruiter wants to do is have you fill your app and get you in. This forum is the best place for the fine details, and reading through the top 3 posts will answer many questions. You may want to find someone in your area (any branch) and have them take you around a facility.

army will take anybody, air force only takes nerds, navy takes anything in-between

army will take anybody, air force only takes nerds, navy takes anything in-between

just an update:

I got to an expensive private school and only the army has come to tell people about their scholarships. The navy and AF don't need to advertise and are filling up their scholarhsips /w ease.

for FY2009, there was 135 Army SCholarships and all of them at this moment are taken. So many people on the order of merit list. I know of at least 5 people at my school that is on this list for 3.5 year scholarships + 20k bonus

I would be cautious about applying with more than 1 at a time. Make an educated decision ahead of time and focus your efforts and time on that one branch.

The reason I say that is I was trying to help a guy last year applying for an Army scholarship, but because he had applied first with the Air Force - they had some kind of a hold placed on him, his medical exam, or something (not sure how that works). It took a little while before the hold was removed and the Army recruiter could send him up to the board.

Does anyone know if it makes a difference if you are already a dental student. For my situation, I am hoping to obtain a 3 year scholarship through the AF. I would hope that a good dental school GPA would be weighed more heavily than the pre-dental GPA of a student about to start school. Also, does anyone know the average GPA (undergrad or d-school), DAT, etc.... of students that have obtained the AF scholarship. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Korn,

You have good representation from all three services here, and for validation, what 63a, AFDDS, and NavyDDS2010 are spot on.

Lately, virtually all services have been filling their slots. Traditionally, Air Force has the fewest scholarship slots, followed by Navy, then Army. And they usually fill up in that order.

Ultimately, as 63a aptly states, you have to choose which service meets your needs the best (lifestyle, opp for service, residency slots, cache, etc.) and go for that one. Life in one service is very different from another, so you must know what you will tolerate. However, you are not penalized for applying to multiple services -- don't be afraid to apply to more than one. So if you really want to serve, choose wisely, and apply where you see yourself fitting in the best.

Good luck,
spc213
(Active Army 63A)

my ultimate goal is to specialize in endodontics or even the 2 year AEGD to become a comprehensive dentist. I understand ARMY has the most residency spots available and I would have my best shots at landing a residency in the ARMY.

However, I would prefer the livestyle and bases of Navy due to them being by the coasts.

How did you guys weigh each option and pick? specializing to me is more important than any other factors such as lifestyle, so should i go with the army?

my ultimate goal is to specialize in endodontics or even the 2 year AEGD to become a comprehensive dentist. I understand ARMY has the most residency spots available and I would have my best shots at landing a residency in the ARMY.

However, I would prefer the livestyle and bases of Navy due to them being by the coasts.

How did you guys weigh each option and pick? specializing to me is more important than any other factors such as lifestyle, so should i go with the army?

Realize whatever service you go with - you will be with them for a long time (between 8-10 yrs minimum if you are Endo or 6-8 yrs for 2yr AEGD before you can get out). So consider quality of life and how long you are willing to "deal with it" as you decide.

I have noticed in the Army most dentists live off post in housing that they buy or rent, so what the base has/doesn't have makes less difference. Locations are another thing. Look at what part of the country, or what you want to be by and also consider that. If you are looking for the west coast or the ocean - Army doesn't have as much of that.

For me, I've enjoyed the Army and wouldn't switch.

Realize whatever service you go with - you will be with them for a long time (between 8-10 yrs minimum if you are Endo or 6-8 yrs for 2yr AEGD before you can get out). So consider quality of life and how long you are willing to "deal with it" as you decide.

I have noticed in the Army most dentists live off post in housing that they buy or rent, so what the base has/doesn't have makes less difference. Locations are another thing. Look at what part of the country, or what you want to be by and also consider that. If you are looking for the west coast or the ocean - Army doesn't have as much of that.

For me, I've enjoyed the Army and wouldn't switch.

How long is the ortho residency in the Army?