which programs would be right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucdgogie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
so i have a b.s in biological sciences from UC Davis and i did try my hand some carib med schools and actually got into one but didnt feel it was the right school for me and it was sort of risky going there. so i decided to pursue pharmacy a few months ago and after looking into it realized that i wouldnt be happy as a pharmacists and it would just be a job to me. so now im back on the track to achieve my original goal of becoming a physician. my undergrad gpa is about a 2.5 overall with science being around the same. i slacked off a lot and didnt put a lot of effort into anything...and i really dont know why. i have a 22 MCAT. i am very determined now to get into medical school and i know the only way is to prove myself by doing a post bac program. so i was just wondering which programs would be right for me and which would i have a chance of getting in to? any help is appreciated.
Thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd be better off in the Caribbean. It will take you years to improve your stats to the point where you could get into a US school.

so even after doing a post bac program and doing well, say average of 3.5 in post bac. and doing well on the MCAT with atleast a 30. there would be no chance of getting into any US med school...even DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
so even after doing a post bac program and doing well, say average of 3.5 in post bac. and doing well on the MCAT with atleast a 30. there would be no chance of getting into any US med school...even DO schools?

The thing is, I don't think any respected SMPs will accept you with a 2.5. Also, you need to first get a higher score on the MCAT to apply. I might suggest that you retake the classes you did badly in through an informal program and then try applying to one of the D.O SMPs. If you are set on a M.D School, I heard it was better to take upper divs. Do that and hopefully a year of good grades might impress some SMP Adcom that you are serious. Also, during this time study hard for the MCAT and get a good score. Once you get those two things you can apply to the SMPs. It is might be awhile until you get into medical school, but if you have the drive, I believe anything can happen. Also, if you don't get into SMPs, just take more upper divs or grade replacements depending on which route you want to go, build up ECs, and work on the MCAT if you need to. Good luck! :luck:

Yeah retake some of the classes you did not do well in. Try to also take some upper level classes in the sciences to help increase ur GPA. You might not get into a post-bac program but enrolling as a non-matriculating student at your state university will definitely work. Study extremely hard for the MCAT and take it over again sometime next year. Then with your new much higher GPA (I would say at least a years worth of classes)..apply to SMP programs. I would apply very broadly..most definitely. Also look into the option of osteopathic medicine..a doctor is a doctor is a doctor and that's what you will graduate as. I don't think all is lost. How bad do you want this..make a schedule/timeline and get to work.
09-10 undergrad courses with 4.0 GPA while studying for MCAT..apply for SMP spring of '10 and do the year long SMP and apply the summer you complete it..its a long road, but if you want it you can HAVE it..good luck!!
P.S. Try to get in contact with an admissions rep at your local med school and see what they suggest..