Which post baccs pay you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Queenshawtii

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know there are a handful of post-baccs that pay you instead of you paying for taking classes? Does anyone know which ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Queenshawtii said:
i know there are a handful of post-baccs that pay you instead of you paying for taking classes? Does anyone know which ones?

Yes, and which planet are you from again?

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a great joke to start the day off! thanks :laugh:

One possible shot would be to get into a Master's program with financial support. This would normally involve working as a TA. These might be hard to find.

I actually think there are some programs like this. Wayne State has a post-bacc. that pays a small stipend, I believe. I think it's generally only for URMs and/or financially disadvantaged. Google search. :)

Yeah, the only ones I know of are for disadvantaged/URM and best case, the tuition is free and you are responsible for living expenses- some state schools in CA (UCLA?), Wake Forest? I've seen a few out there but can't remember what school they are at. I guess I'm really not being of help here without specifics. I think they were mainly for people that had completed the pre-reqs already and maybe had not done so hot or had not been accepted to a school after a round of apps.

prav said:
I actually think there are some programs like this. Wayne State has a post-bacc. that pays a small stipend, I believe. I think it's generally only for URMs and/or financially disadvantaged. Google search. :)
Thanks okay I'll do that..

creighton university has a good program: u get a stipend during the program and 10,000/yr in scholarship when u enter into their medical school. they have a conditional-guarantee also.

Actually Wake has a paying post-bacc. But you have to be non-white.... interesting how reverse discrimination is "ok". If we created a post-bacc only for whites..... al sharpton would be all over it and there would be 10000000 lawsuits....

BOBODR said:
Actually Wake has a paying post-bacc. But you have to be non-white.... interesting how reverse discrimination is "ok". If we created a post-bacc only for whites..... al sharpton would be all over it and there would be 10000000 lawsuits....
That so so true! They fought for equality but yet...

BOBODR said:

why the issue with post-bacc's directed towards URM?? it's not reverse discrimination..research statistics on URMs..there's a reason for programs like this..but there's always someone who doesn't see it this way and needs to make it into this whole non white thing.. +pissed+

Some white people want to get everything for themselve and dont want to share. Most, not all, feel that blacks shouldnt get a chance. U have to notice most adcoms are white and some of them are prejudice. I met prejudice white professor. The world has changed for the better but we still have a long way to go. peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Braveheart said:
Some white people want to get everything for themselve and dont want to share. Most, not all, feel that blacks shouldnt get a chance. U have to notice most adcoms are white and some of them are prejudice. I met prejudice white professor. The world has changed for the better but we still have a long way to go. peace

No no, I believe that any color deserves a chance and yes there is prejudice but to say most believe URM's shouldnt get a chance - thats a BS statement. BUT this does not change the fact that IF there was a post bacc that stated it was for "whites only" or even a scholarship that said the same, there would be lawsuits and protest. Thats just a fact. No where did I say that URM's dont deserve a chance at medical school.

Queenshawtii said:

Wait...why didn't you go to UCONN?

prav said:

This is true, however it's for ANY disadvantaged student, therefore any race can apply

prav said:

This is true, but it's open to any disadvantaged student (not just financially and it's open to any race). Hopes the info helps, it's a good program.

BOBODR said:

I'm sure you would use every single advantage to get into medical school if given the opportunity. We all know some postbac programs cater to minorities. So what. If your numbers are good enough, you have volunteer/work/research , and you apply to the right schools these programs will have no effect on your success.

Now, let me speak from personal experience. What you fail to understand is that a lot of minorities start off disadvantaged long before they decide to pursue professional careers. Neighborhoods are messed up, a lot of us come from single parent homes, and the school systems are a joke. Luckily for me, my parents had enough sense to instill the importance of education. However, this is the exception and not the rule. Its 2005 and there are still drug infested and violent neighborhoods in America. It takes a special person, coming from an environment as such, to actually do something about their situation. Now, if this was the rule but not the exception, many minorities would not live in these conditions and terms such as "black on black crime" would be nonexistent. Also, teachers would not be so hesitant to teach at inner-city schools that are pre-dominantly minority. In my high school, for example, I had a different substitute teacher for biology every single week. My school could not anchor a regular biology teacher but there was nothing we could do about this. This is just one of the many disadvantages that proved to be disastrous in my preparation to college.

Bobodr, you have to realize that these circumstances have affected generations upon generations of people who have lived in the same cities and living conditions before your parent's parents were born. I wish everyone where I grew up could have the same ambition and drive that my parents had, that I have, and that few of my friends have. However, it just doesn't work that way. Human nature sucks. Therefore, America will continue to have generations upon generations of people that will continue to live through these conditions. I’m sure you saw coverage of Hurricane Katrina…

Reverse discrimination? Get real. The playing field isn't level yet and racism in this country is alive and strong. Maybe you should volunteer as a Big Brother/Big Sister in my old neighborhood outside of DC for a semester just to get a glimpse of why URM's, according to medical schools, are sometimes considered financially and academically disadvantaged. I am not saying that only minorities are disadvantaged financially and academically in school. However, minorities seem to be disadvantaged in large numbers. Thus, there will continue to be a need for programs like wake forest.

If I ever do become a physician, I will try my best to help minorities become better students (before and after college) and eventually better doctors. That’s the best way I think anyone can help instead of ignorantly complaining about how a program helps minorities gain better study skills and eventually med school admissions. God forbid that….

The Point: Make sure your numbers are good enough to get into med school. When its all said and done, if you don't get in its all your fault. Take every legal advantage you can because life will go on whether you become a doctor or not. That’s the way I look at it. Take care.

Jays2Cool4u :cool:

[email protected]

i agree it should be all about the numbers (your grades/experience etc). i don't think race, whether it be black, white or green should ever be mentioned! until admissions comittees can't see anything about the person besides their professional worth, it can't ever be fair.

it doesn't matter how "disadvantaged" someone is. if you want to make it out there, there is always a way.

i think there is reverse discrimination, and it shouldn't be tolerated. if it should be about the numbers and how good you are it, it needs to be that way for EVERYONE involved.

Queenshawtii said:

As a black woman, I would not recommend this site for advice or empathy in the premed/med school experience. I have noticed there is an underlying sentiment of negativity, resentfulness, and possibly contempt due to social issues combined with the high sense of competition amongst caucasians in this area of study. This is my first post but I have lurked various sites/forums as a part of my personal research for medical school and premed education.

To answer your question, going from what I have researched on various school sites, you can get paid to do GRAD school scientific research work through fellowship programs. You can also get paid to go to medical school if you are going to med school for a PhD research degree which you can do in conjunction with the MD in joint programs in some schools. You can also get your medical school tuition paid for if you are approved for a National Health Service Scholarship. But for the premed postbac programs I have never found any that will pay the student unless of course you get a scholarship (so apply early). Going to a state university (as long as you're a resident) is usually the least expensive way to do it but yeah, college is getting to be extremely expensive esp in light of the fact that you don't always come out with a marketable degree... and even when you do there is still a lot of competition in the job market. Crazy world. I am personally interested in medicine because I want to do something meaningful, challenging, and most importantly, help people who really need it. I am disappointed at the apathy and contempt that prevails in this day. I want to make the world a better place and I LOVE to help those who need it.

I have been surprised to find that my degree in social sciences will be of much use in the real world as well as in my pursuit of a degree in medicine. I am personally interested in attending HBCU's (historically black colleges/univ) for premed/postbac and then Howard for med school.

Blessings on your journey through the world of medicine

supersash said:
i agree it should be all about the numbers (your grades/experience etc). i don't think race, whether it be black, white or green should ever be mentioned! until admissions comittees can't see anything about the person besides their professional worth, it can't ever be fair.

it doesn't matter how "disadvantaged" someone is. if you want to make it out there, there is always a way.

i think there is reverse discrimination, and it shouldn't be tolerated. if it should be about the numbers and how good you are it, it needs to be that way for EVERYONE involved.

Do u know what its like to come from a disadvantage community? U usually do not have the same foundation as your rich wealthy friends who attended prep school rather u get some of worse teachers and packed in a classroom with 30+ kids,and u'll be lucky to get good textbooks that isn't written all over. Our educational systems are not equal and not comparable. I work 1-7am plus go to school so I can pay tution and not be a finicial burden to my mother and I'm only 20 yrs old, their pre-meds in my school that don't work and drive Range Rovers and if you just look at our grades and extra-curricular activities you won't know the whole story, b/c theirs more to a person than just that. To some people graduating from college is a huge achievement and something nobody in their family or community has ever done, while to others their parents had done it and its only expected. America isn't socially or economically equal and these programs are trying to create one that is.

Some private schools offer a post bac for the under represented and give them $10K of tuition per year. :confused: :confused: :confused:

How the heck did this thread turn into an AA debate????

Sweet Mother!

jays2cool4u said:
I'm sure you would use every single advantage to get into medical school if given the opportunity. We all know some postbac programs cater to minorities. So what. If your numbers are good enough, you have volunteer/work/research , and you apply to the right schools these programs will have no effect on your success.

Now, let me speak from personal experience. What you fail to understand is that a lot of minorities start off disadvantaged long before they decide to pursue professional careers. Neighborhoods are messed up, a lot of us come from single parent homes, and the school systems are a joke. Luckily for me, my parents had enough sense to instill the importance of education. However, this is the exception and not the rule. Its 2005 and there are still drug infested and violent neighborhoods in America. It takes a special person, coming from an environment as such, to actually do something about their situation. Now, if this was the rule but not the exception, many minorities would not live in these conditions and terms such as "black on black crime" would be nonexistent. Also, teachers would not be so hesitant to teach at inner-city schools that are pre-dominantly minority. In my high school, for example, I had a different substitute teacher for biology every single week. My school could not anchor a regular biology teacher but there was nothing we could do about this. This is just one of the many disadvantages that proved to be disastrous in my preparation to college.

Bobodr, you have to realize that these circumstances have affected generations upon generations of people who have lived in the same cities and living conditions before your parent's parents were born. I wish everyone where I grew up could have the same ambition and drive that my parents had, that I have, and that few of my friends have. However, it just doesn't work that way. Human nature sucks. Therefore, America will continue to have generations upon generations of people that will continue to live through these conditions. I’m sure you saw coverage of Hurricane Katrina…

Reverse discrimination? Get real. The playing field isn't level yet and racism in this country is alive and strong. Maybe you should volunteer as a Big Brother/Big Sister in my old neighborhood outside of DC for a semester just to get a glimpse of why URM's, according to medical schools, are sometimes considered financially and academically disadvantaged. I am not saying that only minorities are disadvantaged financially and academically in school. However, minorities seem to be disadvantaged in large numbers. Thus, there will continue to be a need for programs like wake forest.

If I ever do become a physician, I will try my best to help minorities become better students (before and after college) and eventually better doctors. That’s the best way I think anyone can help instead of ignorantly complaining about how a program helps minorities gain better study skills and eventually med school admissions. God forbid that….

The Point: Make sure your numbers are good enough to get into med school. When its all said and done, if you don't get in its all your fault. Take every legal advantage you can because life will go on whether you become a doctor or not. That’s the way I look at it. Take care.

Jays2Cool4u :cool:

[email protected]

WOW - I didnt see this post until now. Let me speak from personal experience. MY PROBLEM with this , I am a white male caucasian, and why are there no post baccs for white male caucasians who slept on the floor of their grandmothers one bedroom apartment with four other people, went to a "diverse highschool", didnt have money for lunch, our school was falling apart and hadnt even been touched since my dad went to schol there 40 years ago.... Oh thats right, Only minorities are disadvantaged. Get off yourself. YOu obviously didnt look at my next post after that saying everyone deserves a chance (I think minorities are definitly needed in med school because they can relate better to certain patients and there should be more) Next time dont put words in my mouth. I only brought up the point that if there was a whites only post bacc (say one for spoiled little brats who wasted college) then there would be lawsuits... but you can read it how you want. Tell me where in my posts I said that there shouldnt be URM post baccs or there shouldnt be minorities in healthcare? Because I dont see it.....

most likely the response you will get is you are an exception relative to the white majority....funny how generalizations are ok when talking about white people being "well off".....god forbid we mentioned generalizations regarding any other color.

AGAIN

How did this turn into an AA thread?

sunnyjohn said:
How did this turn into an AA thread?

My name is little_late, and I'm an alcoholic. It's been about 45 minutes since my last drink.

atrovariousg said:
Some private schools offer a post bac for the under represented and give them $10K of tuition per year. :confused: :confused: :confused:

really and these schools are?

I don't know how this turned into a AA debate..I agree that DISADVANTAGED people should have programs to help them because being poor has no color..i couldn't say alot more but i have a paper due in hours..

Personally I came from a very disadvantaged home (and I'm a crossbreed between Cherokee and caucasian) but I do feel that far too many people- black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc- use it as a crutch to explain away their shortcomings. Honestly I feel that most minorities are far harder working once they set their sights upon a certain goal than a comparably disadvantaged white person. It's far easier to spread the blame around ("Whitey oppressed me", "I didn't get in because I'm too pale skinned and my primary language is English", etc ad nauseum) than it is to suck it up and realize that it's not where you started that is holding you back but the fact that you allow your origins to be a burden. To all those who whine on both sides of this issue, shut up please and let this thread get back on topic.

BOBODR said:
WOW - I didnt see this post until now. Let me speak from personal experience. MY PROBLEM with this , I am a white male caucasian, and why are there no post baccs for white male caucasians who slept on the floor of their grandmothers one bedroom apartment with four other people, went to a "diverse highschool", didnt have money for lunch, our school was falling apart and hadnt even been touched since my dad went to schol there 40 years ago.... Oh thats right, Only minorities are disadvantaged. Get off yourself. YOu obviously didnt look at my next post after that saying everyone deserves a chance (I think minorities are definitly needed in med school because they can relate better to certain patients and there should be more) Next time dont put words in my mouth. I only brought up the point that if there was a whites only post bacc (say one for spoiled little brats who wasted college) then there would be lawsuits... but you can read it how you want. Tell me where in my posts I said that there shouldnt be URM post baccs or there shouldnt be minorities in healthcare? Because I dont see it.....

I noticed you have chosen to insult me with comments such as telling me to "get off myself". You have also miss quoted my experiences by stating "oh thats right, only minorities are disadvantaged." I believe I used the term a lot not only. Then you have the nerve to pm me. I have never once insulted you or misquoted you. I just stated facts that I have experienced inside my home and neighborhood growing up.

Let this broken record play over and over: Make sure your numbers are good enough to get into med school. When its all said and done, if you don't get in its all your fault. Take every legal advantage you can because life will go on whether you become a doctor or not.

I wish you the best.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

jays2cool4u said:
Take every legal advantage you can because life will go on whether you become a doctor or not.

Lies! All lies! That's what they tell you, but its not true!

I think that the racial stratification in the US is pretty obvious. At the moment, the level between races in terms of education is not equal. So, having programs to boost a certain underserved communities is good for ALL of us. You shouldn't mock helping certains groups of people who have been 'handicapped' in our society for various reasons. However, there is a negative side to it. Ironically, the main intent of these programs are to one day have a non-racial system but it seems like we are becoming more dependent on our race.

I am glad people are talking more about this stuff.

Pavan28 said:
I think that the racial stratification in the US is pretty obvious. At the moment, the level between races in terms of education is not equal. So, having programs to boost a certain underserved communities is good for ALL of us. You shouldn't mock helping certains groups of people who have been 'handicapped' in our society for various reasons. However, there is a negative side to it. Ironically, the main intent of these programs are to one day have a non-racial system but it seems like we are becoming more dependent on our race.

I am of this same state of mind. I think racial diversity is essential in healthcare delivery, however, creating a double standard of achievement is clearly detrimental to everyone. I am starting to agree with people like Shelby Steele with regards to Affirmative Action policies--that they like all the Johnson era social policies, are inept and do not have the power to bring minorities truly into a level playing field....the playing field of merit. No other group of people with the exception of Native Americans have been subjected to the paternalistic experimentation of policies that say you cannot do for yourselves you must depend on us to do for you. Has anyone noticed that things have gotten much worse for these peoples as a whole. The arguement of "the man" is keeping us down just doesn't hold water. For many groups have come to this land of milk and honey and done well, albeit under vastly different circumstances, but the process has been unmistakably similar in the success of all these groups, from the Irish to the Asians to the Slavic Jews.--Ben.

leolid said:
creighton university has a good program: u get a stipend during the program and 10,000/yr in scholarship when u enter into their medical school. they have a conditional-guarantee also.

Do you have a link to the site of their program? How long is the program?

Pavan28 said:

Pavan you trouble maker

All schools are doing what is in their best interest. The NIH offers grants to Post-Bacc and Med Schools for offering opportunities to URM students that need assistance. These students also get financial assistance. But, they really need to educational assistance more. These URM students are accepted with lower scores and will likely take 5-6 years to finish med school. They actually need to extra help, most of the time, sometimes not.

But, anyone looking for purely financial assistance in Med School... Why?
How many docs do you know with trouble paying off loans, homes, and sweet toys? Even docs going into rural or urban practices in PC medicine get loans forgiven...

TAKE THE LOAN if you need it. It is the smartest investment you'll ever make... one in yourself. The rewards are getting to do what you want, in a field that helps people, and you make a nice life.

jays2cool4u said:
I noticed you have chosen to insult me with comments such as telling me to "get off myself". You have also miss quoted my experiences by stating "oh thats right, only minorities are disadvantaged." I believe I used the term a lot not only. Then you have the nerve to pm me. I have never once insulted you or misquoted you. I just stated facts that I have experienced inside my home and neighborhood growing up.

Let this broken record play over and over: Make sure your numbers are good enough to get into med school. When its all said and done, if you don't get in its all your fault. Take every legal advantage you can because life will go on whether you become a doctor or not.

I wish you the best.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

nah man, not every minority is disadvantaged.

believe it or not, native americans are the least in population and then, the ASIANS. the hispanics and blacks far outnumber the asians.

yet, the asians are not considered disadvantaged or under represented... go figure....

dmtang2 said:
nah man, not every minority is disadvantaged.

believe it or not, native americans are the least in population and then, the ASIANS. the hispanics and blacks far outnumber the asians.

yet, the asians are not considered disadvantaged or under represented... go figure....

HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA......dumba$$ :laugh:

Asian people are considered over-represented in medicine. However if you look at the MSAR at the percentage of minorities in medical school you will see that the number is very small, except for historically black colleges and universities, the numner is always UNDER 20 %. So you don't have to worry that someone is taking YOUR spot as a white male in medical school. Just worry about yourself. Trust me, as economically disatvantaged you can also do a post-bacc and qualify for assistance. However, there are few hispanic and black doctors in urban areas that need them. So I applaud programs that try to get more people who are more likely to return to their own communities after medical school. Medicine is about compassion for everyone, so practice some compassion instead of blaming AA.
I grew up in a Hispanic neighborhood as a white person, kind of, I was a minority. It can be discouraging when you are at a school with 4000 students, a nursery and pre-school in your high school and 10% (yes only ten) of students going on to a 4 year univeristy! Where in the world can you get encouragement? I would always get mad at my counselors for steering most of my fellow students into "career" areas instead of encouraging them to pursue higher education such as college. The smartest guy in my class in physics went to trade school to become a mechanic...I think he should have been at MIT (he was at the top of our class). So please stop pondering the horrible way AA doesn't help the white male. There are programs out there for "economically disadvanteged" students. Look for them. Even the AMCAS asks about your economic disatvantage.

DISCLAIMER: People will probably be offended in the following post, respond without flame. if we are to have a URM discussion here and open up pandora's box, then lets do it civil. If you're the type to start name calling and trolling, then skip the post. :)

Another URM debate? I guess we see this everywhere we go. The real issue at hand, is beyond what alot of the arguments have been made here. This country's history has set into motion, the gears that ultimately put races in this country on different playing fields. This is a tenet of our society that most of our would probably agree with, as it is firmly grounded in history. That said, the primary reason for the nebulous URM "advantage" to be existent, is found right in the definition of U.R.M., that is, Underrepresented Minorities. Having Affirmative Action in schools is not to make the doctor population more colorful and diverse because it looks better on the cover of Admissions Catalogs of US Doctors Weekly or on med school websites to show that "hey, we too, can show how diverse we are, we have minority students! Look, he or she even studies just like us! Silly minority". The argument goes way beyond GPA/MCAT as a means of gauging how good a doctor he or she will become. What the argument DOES entail is that there is an alarming lack of minority doctors to practice in underserved areas where their race/ethnicity are predominant. Has anyone here read "The Spirit Catches you and You fall Down" by Anne Fadiman? It talks alot about doctor mistrust, and lack of cultural/ethnic connections between doctors and their patients, and as a result, often leads to tragedy. The fact of the matter is, non-caucasian first generation immigrants, and even second and third generation that have continued to live in these underrepresented areas have a strong mistrust for caucasians, especially those in power positions such as politician, lawyer, doctor. Be it misguided, naive, or justified is besides the point. What the point is, the purpose of the URM status is to hopefully get URMs to one day practice in those areas. Now granted, there is alot of heresay and conjecture about the unfairness of the URM "advantage" (most often, the argument swings towards acceptances with lower GPAs/MCATs), however, one must take into account socioeconomic factors (HUGE ROLE in academics). Many URMs are also the first amongst family, friends and often even in the community to make it to the level of applying to medical school, and thus, often comes without many of the guided advantages that many non-URMs have, whose parents/relatives/friends/coworkers/community have attended college, some of which have received advanced degrees. I know plenty of people that are not URMs (myself included) that are the first to pave the way into college and go into medicine. But, I can speak for those that I do know, that they have the necessary resources from friends' families, some relatives, someone, somewhere out there that can provide some form of guidance that URMs may not have, or have in a similar way. Hell, SDN itself is a great tool that I know many of my URM friends did not know about- either because their group of friends aren't into academics or medicine, lackof computer/internet access at home, etc... Granted, ALL of us would love it, to see if one day, the United States became socioeconomically homogenous, and all that would come into play is ONLY mcats/gpas/ECs/etc.. but the fact of the matter is, if you ever took a walk through a financially diverse place like New York City, from wall street to Washington Heights or Harlem, you'll see, at the grassroots level, the striking differences between color/URM and socioeconomics. You'll see it every city you go to across America. Find me a Kaplan center, or a quiet library with all types of medical books, or a nice barnes and noble that doesn't have windows barred up, and I'll probably consider you really really good at finding Waldo in Where's Waldo. In that same area, count how many liquor stores/pawn shops/barred up, graffitied up bodegas/other unfriendly atmospheres and I'll probably tell you to go see an optometrist because you probably didn't even get half. Now in those same poor areas, look for the doctors that practice there. I can almost guarantee you that the URM doctor will garner more patients any given day in that area, serving URM patients. Imagine yourself there as a non-URM, and then tell me, would you really want to practice there? Or would you rather practice somewhere else, which could just be as equally as poor, but whose population consists of your race/ethnicity. You could say that you don't see color, and that you'll treat everyone the same. But you have to be realistic, anyone who doesnt see color is blind. In addition, it doesn't even come down to you, patient's themselves have just as much bias as anyone else. It basically comes down to treating people who you can identify with and can identify with you. A URM patient would more likely feel comfortable with people who are like people from his or her own community- hence a URM physician & vice versa. If you can find me any document out there which says that URM doctors have higher malpractice suits than non-URM doctors, then the jig is up. But if practicing medicine has taught us anything, in the end, being a doctor is less about your scores in college getting into medical school, and more about knowing how to identify with your patient, communicate with him or her, get an accurate HPI, and pull out anything a patient is hiding/forgetting/not communicating. Medicine is half science and half communication- if having a URM doctor as a URM patient successfully facilities the latter, who's complaining? Thinking that being a URM or non URM doctor treating a community not like them, the same as treating a community that is like them is a naive notion that you'll quickly learn is untrue if you ever do an away rotation somewhere completely different than your surroundings- this goes both ways. Having an "all white" postbac would make sense if white people were a minority in the country, and thus needed a representative doctor to serve their community, that looks, talks, thinks like them. Having an "all URM" postbac in that particular country, would thus, make no sense because, why have an exclusive group if "URMs" are the majority and does not need to be specially addressed in terms of representative healthcare. Not so in our current America.

Using as an excuse that a URM "took my spot" is hardly a valid one given that the URM quota gives them few seats anyways. If you were balancing on the thin line between acceptance and rejection, don't blame it on the URM, and blame yourself for not applying more broadly to more schools across the country. That way, if rejections rang across the board, it's certainly not the URM to blame anymore, but upon yourself.

Racism: judging someone by the color of their skin.

Any questions?

I won't make a comment about the other stuff that has been said in this thread, but I do want to set the record straight. Wake Forest's program does not pay. Tuition is free, but participants are responsible for their own living expenses.

The fact of the matter is, non-caucasian first generation immigrants, and even second and third generation that have continued to live in these underrepresented areas have a strong mistrust for caucasians, especially those in power positions such as politician, lawyer, doctor. Be it misguided, naive, or justified is besides the point.

I've never heard the assertion that this is about immigrants. It's usually said to be about American blacks. But assuming it is about immgrants, why must increasing the number of non-caucasian doctors be the solution to the fact that non-caucasian patients do not trust caucasian doctors? How about the much more obvious solution of ceasing non-caucasian immigration?