Which Osteopaths require a DO/MD Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powwow

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to apply to osteopathic schools next year and have a couple of questions. I am a pretty qualified applicant except for the fact that I do not have access to a handy MD or DO to write me a letter for the applications. Is a letter from a physician required for DO applications? And if a letter is required do we have to shadow the doctor? I would also appreciate it if you could list which schools require this letter and specify what type of relationship the physician has to have with the applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

powwow,

I only applied to COMP and TUCOM and both required letters of rec from a physician. COMP recommends that the letter be from a DO but a letter from an MD is acceptable. From the TUCOM website, "A M.D. letter from a personal physician who has known you for years may actually be preferable to a letter from a D.O. who has known you for 15 minutes"

There is no requirement that I know of with respect to the kind of relationship you have to have with your letter writer, but in my opinion, your relationship should be such that you are confident that your letter writer understands your motivations for pursuing medicine and is willing step up to the plate and say nothing but good things about you.

Hope this helps.. (probably not, cuz i probably gave you a new task to add to the already horrific application process)

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]