Which Organic Model Kit is the Best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moneyless

Not a Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which ones have you found to be the best and about how much did it cost?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'll send ya my untouched model kit for free ;)

When I was a kid we didn't have model kits. We had to make our own using toothpicks and marshmallows. Kids who couldn't afford marshmallows used their minds... kind of like in the matrix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I never touched the model kits that came with my Ochem book either. Waste of time if you ask me.

I agree with Pinkertinkle. You don't need them, and you certainly don't have time to use them during a test, if you're even allowed to use them during your test. Don't become dependent on them or they will be your downfall.

Model kits can be very helpful to some, not so for others. If you are having difficulty conceptualizing spacial relationships, it is totally worth trying. I'm sure any kit would work fine. They all do the same thing.

I'm sure there are some kits that are better than others... maybe some kits to avoid? break easily and such?

I like the old school kit with small beads. The big bulbous bead kits drive me crazy. I really don't think it matters which kit.

Yeah, what a waste of time. Not saying some people won't benefit from them though. We're "allowed" to use them during our tests but in the room full of 300, not a soul breaks out their model kit. It just takes too much time to make the model. Draw a picture. :)

Don't bother wasting time on them unless you have problems with concepts like chirality, why aromatics are flat, or stuff like that. Then you might need them. If you can figure that sort of stuff out on paper, model kits aren't going to help.

When I took orgo, I did a web search and found a cool company in Japan that makes models. They're small but good sized and fit well in your hands. This is the kit I bought:

http://www.hgs-model.com/model/index.html
(1005 Researcher Organic Chemistry B-Set 1=2.5cm)

You can order it from Sigma-Aldrich in the US, but email the Japanese contact to be sure. They'll tell you who to contact.

I totally enjoyed this set and it also helped with Biochem alot.

we use the model kit that we bought in the school for $10. i can't remember what it's called, but i dont like it too much simply because the bonds are different lengths. they come with sp3 and sp2 hybridized parts, but each bond is a different length, :confused: but it helped me a lot when i had to do chirality, now i don't really use them that much.

How about the one from prentice hall?

text

Members don't see this ad :)
I used that one. It's a model kit...with lots of little pieces...that make loud popping noises when you pull them off. Oh, and my lid was faulty so my pieces would continually go everwhere.

Since I'm not too sure why one model kit would be better than another, I say go for the cheapest. I mean $48!! For some plastic balls and sticks!! :eek: I say go for tinker toys

Personally, I found them very useful--especially in the very beginning when I was trying to visualize not only chirality but why one molecule would be more sterically hindered than another.

i found my kit to be useless. never really used it, didnt have enough pieces, book usually has 3d pics, waste of money.

The kit that I got was with the organic books by Jones, I believe. I forgot what it was called.

I think I must have been the only nerd to use the kit during my first organic midterm (when i took the class ages ago ;) )! I couldn't visualize some structures in the beginning (for stereochemistry and chirality, steric hindrance) and we were allowed to use the kit during exam as well, so I had brought one structure model with me and used it. Who cares what others think! If you need something to visualize and if it helps you understand organic reactions and if that will raise your grade, then by all means, go for it!

the one in your head

I found them more helpful when I took my friend's kit on a Friday night and tried to see how big of a model we could build. I never did use it for Orgo, but it sure was fun to play with after a couple of drinks.

We were allowed to use kits on the exams and nearly every student used them. I did at times and at times I didn't. I think they can definitely be helpful. When I found them most helpful was when I was studying in a group. Everyone conceptualizes things differently, but using a model makes the group think more uniformly so the group works more cohesively studying together. If the model helps you, then use it. If not, then that is fine too.

Originally posted by Moneyless

Thanks

Listen cowboy. Make some friends.

Originally posted by moops
Listen cowboy. Make some friends.

:laugh:

if you ignore the title of the thread, the OP sounds like a perve.

Do not purchase a model kit. They are a waste of your time and money. If you don't learn to recognize things on paper, what are you going to do during the MCAT? The proctor will not be too keen on you whipping out a model kit when you reach the first organic passage.

My organic instructor didn't allow us to use them on the tests...and he reasoned it like so: They will inevitably cause disaster for the entire class during an exam. Everyone starts working on the first problem, but Suzy didn't study and she doesn't know what the hell is going on. Suzy decides that a model might help her figure it out...but she doesn't even know enough to realize the problem has nothing to do with structure. She starts to build her model, and the people that did study begin to question themselves. "Uh oh, someone is building a model...what did I miss?!?"

Before you know it, 150 people are building models for a question that reads: "Describe the process of mutarotation between the alpha and beta anomers of glucose." Shortly thereafter, someone's model explodes due to human-induced stearic hindrance...and the lecture hall erupts into violence.

For God's sake...do not become dependent on molecular models.

i just want something on hand just in case to refer to. It might be well worth it for that one time that it does come in handy. I was just wondering if there are kits that are better than others in terms of say, quality, # pieces, etc.

you get what you pay for. i paid 10 bucks, and i have different length bonds, even though they all say sp3, and i don't have a bunch of parts that the book says comes in the more expensive kit. and when i make a ring, they don't move like they are supposed to. my cyclohexanes do not have chair conformations, they just stay in the traditional hexagon. if you pay a lot, you get a better kit. that's all there is to it.

When I took undergrad organic I used the model kit that came with the book (I don't remember the brand). This kit had pieces that were large and bulky and made a "popping" sound when they were taken apart. I didn't really use the models much....and it cost around 30 bucks.

HOWEVER, when I took advanced organic AND began to T.A. for undergrad organic I was given the "Molecular Visions" set made by the "darling models" out of Ohio. This kit costs around 17-20 dollers and represents the kinds of bonds quite well. I found the kit to be so useful that I bought a second kit to expand my models (advanced organic had some really BIG problems). It takes a little "getting used to" compared to the first kit I mentioned, but once you get the "knack" of it, it really is a great model kit. I'd highly recommend it. AND don't be embarrased to use it! I was probably the ONLY one to use it during a test in advanced organic and although I was a little embarrased to pull it out.....I got the problem right and received an A in the course! Who is laughing now?

Originally posted by Moneyless

Thanks

The stick-and-ball sets are best. Mine was useful because we could bring them for exams.

wow..this made it to the 2nd page??

well i used the ones that are plastic but sturdy. C, N, O and H are the main ones and they are all polygon-like.

but being the ochem nerd i am...i would make my favorite molecule and just hang it up in my car.

benzaldehyde was the main choice for most of the time cause i remember working with it in lab and it smelled just so divine. ;)