Which option is more family friendly: Pharmacy or Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebeliousdiva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are pros and cons of going pre-med or pre-pharmacy? I'm almost 17 and I'll be a senior (technically) in September. Due to my schools guidance office, all college applications should be filled out by September. I know I want to go into healthcare, but as a young women, in the long run, I am concerned about family life. I want a family. I am interested in pharmacy and I will be working at a hospital pharmacy for the second summer in a row this summer, but I was wondering, is there anything better about going to medical school in comparison to pharmacy school? Anything that would draw me more towards medicine rather than pharmacy? like Pros and Cons. There is a 6 year program at a college in my area that offers a combined bachelors and PharmD program. So, I am concerned before applying, for any reason as to why I should not. Thanks for all the answers, and I'm sorry if this seems long.

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say that pharmacy is more family friendly

do research on medicine. here is what they say about medicine - only do it if you cant imagine doing anything else. obviously this rule is not absolute, but you get the meaning of it

This beautiful interview by a reproductive endocrinology and infertility physician might be of interest to you. She discusses how her husband being a pharmacist was a blessing for their relationship. So, I would say becoming a pharmacist or marrying a pharmacist are family friendly options :)

http://www.loveandthesky.com/home/c...cian-reproductive-endocrinology-and-fertility

What are pros and cons of going pre-med or pre-pharmacy? I'm almost 17 and I'll be a senior (technically) in September. Due to my schools guidance office, all college applications should be filled out by September. I know I want to go into healthcare, but as a young women, in the long run, I am concerned about family life. I want a family. I am interested in pharmacy and I will be working at a hospital pharmacy for the second summer in a row this summer, but I was wondering, is there anything better about going to medical school in comparison to pharmacy school? Anything that would draw me more towards medicine rather than pharmacy? like Pros and Cons. There is a 6 year program at a college in my area that offers a combined bachelors and PharmD program. So, I am concerned before applying, for any reason as to why I should not. Thanks for all the answers, and I'm sorry if this seems long.

Reactions: 1 users