Which one would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwong112001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation. I got my acceptance letter from DMU and OUCOM this week. I am also placed on the waitlist at Midwestern (Chicago). UHS offers me an invitation to their interview on Feb. 26. I wonder out of these schools which one would you choose? Right now, I am lopsized to OUCOM because they have a high-tech facilities. I wonder what is your opinion on these schools. Then, should I go to check out UHS as well. I need to place my deposit to DMU by Feb. 5. So, I need some opinions fast.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are an ohio resident and want to stay in ohio, I would choose DMU. OU has a post residency ohio service requirement. I have heard very good things about DMU and thus would choose them over OU. Don't count on getting into CCOM (it may happen, but what if it doesn't, you would have given up an admission for a waitlist spot.) Definately go to your interview at UHS. You may fall in love with it.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Russell

Which one is more respected in the nation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeremy,
I didn't apply to OUCOM, but I know that the thing that I didn't like about them was that if you get accepted you have to commit 5 years after residency to working as a physician in Ohio. I wasn't willing to commit 5 years to a place just to get accepted into their school as an out of state resident. That's me though. As for DMU and UHS, I was accepted into both schools and I'm having a really hard decision. UHS has a really awesome anatomy lab and awesome facilities. They also have the Genesis curriculum (systems based classes)
On the other hand I liked DMU's rotation sites better, that the rotation sites are picked on a match system, and that the class size was smaller. I also liked that DMU was $5000 less plus the bank that the school goes through pays the 3% origionation fee on your loans which saves you another $1000 or more each year. I also liked that at DMU there is a clinic onsite.

In general I got a really good feeling about both DMU and UHS, so it is a hard decision. I would definately say that it is worth it to see UHS, even if you have to put down a deposit somewhere else. I also think the $500 deposit at DMU is 50% refundable so if you change your mind you are not out of that much money.

Anyway, I know I talked to you at the airport in Des Moines about some of this stuff, but I thought i'd just mention it again. :) If you want to ask me more about the schools just message me.

good luck deciding...oh also UHS will tell you really quickly. I think I knew in 3 days by phone.
Jenny

Originally posted by jwong112001
Which one is more respected in the nation?

I don't think there is much difference between the reputations, they are all good schools.

I am going to UHS.

Jenny,

OUCOM has plasma TV in each of their study rooms. They have digital video conference, TV recording center, wireless internet, great antomy lab, and a state-of-the-art ping center for sport. I really don't know what to do. Are you going to send the deposit to DMU right away? I emailed to them and hope to get an extension, but I have heard anything from them yet.

Jeremy,
I'm still deciding what to do, but I think I like DMU a little more then UHS so I think I might just send the deposit in. I'm not too worried about it since I really think that 50% of it is refundable. DMU also has the wireless internet, plus they give you a laptop computer (with the wireless internet and all of the software that you need) and a PDA included in their tuition. So if that helps. I also liked that DMU was not to far from chicago or minneapolis and i have a lot of friends in both places.
jenny
let me know what they say about the extension.

Jeremy,
I just called DMU and their deposit is not 50% refundable. so sorry to misinform anyone.
jenny

I really want to talk to some of the students in each of these schools, so I can find out more info. about it. I talked to my advisor, she told me that DMU was formerly a college and just got turn into an university recently. Therefore, in turns of facilities, it will not be as good as OUCOM. However, I found DMU's students and faculty members a lot more friendly than OUCOM. Then, I saw very few asian when I was interviewing there. That means I will probably have a hard time to find a learning companion if I attend there. I don't care about that 5 years contract that much. I just need other info. to help me to choose the one that suit me the most.

p.s. Jenny, OUCOM also has wireless internet. On top of that, it has a huge university library, a medical school library, a big convocation center, and a 192000 square foot (three-floored) sport center which students there call it, Ping Center. It is very hard decision to choose against OUCOM, but at the same time, I don't want to abandon DMU (People are so nice there).

I was accepted to OUCOM in november and I'm almost postitive that I will be attending next fall. I loved the school and I felt like the atmosphere was positive, friendly, and relaxed. I agree the technology at OUCOM is amazing.

I wanted to clear up something that was said about the practicing in OH contract...you are asked to practice in OH for 5 yrs...that doesn't mean that you have to practice in OH. I know that there is some type of fine that you can pay if you wish to work somewhere else. Also, you could do your residency here and that would count for most of the time you would need to fulfill the 5 yr requirement. Who knows you might end up loving OH and wanting to stay here : ) I'm biased since I've lived here all my life.

I don't know much about DMU so I can't help you there...but I do know that OH is a great state to practice in as a DO. There are many prestigious residency programs offered in OH through the CORE. OUCOM has a wonderful reputation.

Make a list of pros and cons of each of your choices...hopefully that will help you clear this tough decision up! Congrats on both of your acceptances! Good luck with everything!

Jeremy I just sent you a PM.
About the Ohio contract....the fine if you don't want to work there for 5 years is that you have to pay OUCOM 4 years of tuition (at the current price) with in 30 days of breaking the contract (in addition to the tuition that you payed). I'm not trying to say that that makes the school not as good as another, it is just something that should be taken into consideration.
jenny

jwong112001

OUCOM rules! i also received my acceptance email this morning...I am still waiting to hear from LECOM (decision is in the mail) and PCOM/NYCOM for interviews if i ever hear from either of them. Best of luck to you in your decision making

I think I will choose OUCOM afterall. I can't just find any other reasons to rule against it. Anyway, I hope I can see you guys at the orientation.

hey jeremy,

you just need to decide where you will be happiest for the next couple of years. i had to decide between nycom and dmu. i felt that one school was better in some aspects while the other school was better in others. for me, it came down to where i felt i would be able to flourish. that's all i have to say.

of course, i ended up at dmu. besides today's weather, i am loving my decision!

kimberlee :)