Which OMS programs are likely to accept their non-categorical interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darthdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for programs that are likely to accept their non-categorical interns or programs that do not accept their non-categorical interns (to not apply to). I am anticipating not matching this cycle due to gpa/rank/CBSE and would like to apply to programs that would give me the best chance in matching next cycle if given the opportunity to participate in their non-categorical program.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say these days. Lots of programs are switching it up because they don't want the "feeder" reputation. If you bust your butt as an intern anywhere you will be noticed.

Most programs try not to accept their own non-cats to avoid the reputation of taking their own. Some programs even specifically say they WILL NOT take their own non-cats.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Knoxville is known to take theirs, considering the non-cats are outstanding.

U of MN is 1/3. Is that a feeder program? Just increased our non-cat to 2. Might become a feeder program if one of those 2 is good, hell maybe both and the rest of you are out of luck. Remember, non-cat is a 4 month working interview which is better than a few letters of recc from people you have never heard of.

Reactions: 11 users
As OMSdoc had previously said, you guys are seriously lucky to have access to nade on this forum. Most chairs and pd’s wouldn’t spend their time here giving honest feedback and comments that are helpful. He’s a huge resource to you guys.

Reactions: 8 users
U of MN is 1/3. Is that a feeder program? Just increased our non-cat to 2. Might become a feeder program if one of those 2 is good, hell maybe both and the rest of you are out of luck. Remember, non-cat is a 4 month working interview which is better than a few letters of recc from people you have never heard of.

UofMN non-cats reading this thread

1659408360434.gif

Reactions: 3 users
OP don’t take this the wrong way.

It’s good your asking questions and interested in getting into omfs. I think your asking the wrong questions.

Why don’t you start with:

1) how can I be an awesome intern. What advice can you guys give me to become an exemplary noncategorical.
The day you enter your residency you will be heavily compared to your co-interns. Often the question/comment arises: why is resident xyz so much faster, more efficient, more motivated, more thorough and can see so many more patients in clinic than resident abc? Your goal should be the best resident. If you look better than the other interns (both categoricals and noncategoricals), trust me you will raise eyebrows among your attendings.

2) what textbooks should I be reading? (Hint: Start reading now ).

3) which programs give a broad exposure of training to noncategoricals, and have a high volume of trauma and infections?
Which ones have a high success of matching their noncategoricals?

4) which programs give me the best exposure to general anesthesia.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I was once a non-categorical (preresidency) intern, and I worked by butt off that year...did extra stuff...did not go home at the end of my "shift". Heck, we didn't even have shifts then.

I am pretty sure they wanted me to stay at that program. Of course, they could not tell me that specifically.

Silver_arrow is correct...above all, be an awesome intern.

Reactions: 1 user
I was once a non-categorical (preresidency) intern, and I worked by butt off that year...did extra stuff...did not go home at the end of my "shift". Heck, we didn't even have shifts then.

I am pretty sure they wanted me to stay at that program. Of course, they could not tell me that specifically.

Silver_arrow is correct...above all, be an awesome intern.
Agree, I was in the same boat once too, not that long ago.
For the record, Monte has taken its own.

Reactions: 1 user