Which of these are less competitive and might still have spots left?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImNotBritish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My app was complete late, with my 2nd SLOE coming in last week. I have less than a handful of invites despite applying very broadly. I am hoping that it's because of the timing of my letters, and not due to some other red flag on my app. Regardless, here I am, and I'm a little desperate to get some more interview invites, since I can't really bear the thought of a backup plan at this point. These are places that I haven't applied, whose deadlines haven't passed yet, and that I haven't ruled out for various other reasons. I'm hoping for opinions on which of these might be slightly less competitive, and/or might still have interview spots left to give. Thanks for any opinions.

1. Arkansas
2. U of Florida Jacksonville
3. Florida Hosp Med Ctr
4. Orlando Health
5. U of S Florida Morsani
6. Med College of Georgia
7. U of Chicago
8. U of Illinois Peoria
9. Southern Illinois Univ
10. U Kansas
11. Louisiana State Baton Rouge
12. Louisiana State Shreveport
13. Baystate/Tufts
14. U of Michigan
15. St John Hosp and Med Ctr
16. Western Michigan U
17. William Beaumont
18. Central Michigan U
19. Mayo Clinic Rochester MN
20. U of Missouri Kansas City
21. U Missouri Columbia
22. U of Mississippi
23. Atlantic Health, NJ
24. UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson
25. Hackensack
26. Newark Beth Israel
27. Albany Med Ctr
28. Lincoln Med, Bronx
29. Albert Einstein/Jacobi
30. Maimonides
31. SUNY Brooklyn
32. NY Hosp Queens/Cornell
33. NSLIJHS Hofstra North Shore
34. NY Presbyterian
35. St Lukes-Roosevelt
36. Icahn Mt Sinai
37. NYU
38. U Rochester
39. Staten Island U
40. SUNY at Stony Brook
41. SUNY Upstate
42. U of Toledo
43. Mercy St Vincent
44. U Oklahoma
45. St Luke’s
46. Geisinger Health System
47. Brown Univ.
48. Christus Spohn
49. John Peter Smith/Tarrant County
50. U of Texas Houston
51. Baylor
52. U of Texas San Antonio
53. Texas A and M
54. U of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

My app was complete late, with my 2nd SLOE coming in last week. I have less than a handful of invites despite applying very broadly. I am hoping that it's because of the timing of my letters, and not due to some other red flag on my app. Regardless, here I am, and I'm a little desperate to get some more interview invites, since I can't really bear the thought of a backup plan at this point. These are places that I haven't applied, whose deadlines haven't passed yet, and that I haven't ruled out for various other reasons. I'm hoping for opinions on which of these might be slightly less competitive, and/or might still have interview spots left to give. Thanks for any opinions.

1. Arkansas
2. U of Florida Jacksonville
3. Florida Hosp Med Ctr
4. Orlando Health
5. U of S Florida Morsani
6. Med College of Georgia
7. U of Chicago
8. U of Illinois Peoria
9. Southern Illinois Univ
10. U Kansas
11. Louisiana State Baton Rouge
12. Louisiana State Shreveport
13. Baystate/Tufts
14. U of Michigan
15. St John Hosp and Med Ctr
16. Western Michigan U
17. William Beaumont
18. Central Michigan U
19. Mayo Clinic Rochester MN
20. U of Missouri Kansas City
21. U Missouri Columbia
22. U of Mississippi
23. Atlantic Health, NJ
24. UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson
25. Hackensack
26. Newark Beth Israel
27. Albany Med Ctr
28. Lincoln Med, Bronx
29. Albert Einstein/Jacobi
30. Maimonides
31. SUNY Brooklyn
32. NY Hosp Queens/Cornell
33. NSLIJHS Hofstra North Shore
34. NY Presbyterian
35. St Lukes-Roosevelt
36. Icahn Mt Sinai
37. NYU
38. U Rochester
39. Staten Island U
40. SUNY at Stony Brook
41. SUNY Upstate
42. U of Toledo
43. Mercy St Vincent
44. U Oklahoma
45. St Luke’s
46. Geisinger Health System
47. Brown Univ.
48. Christus Spohn
49. John Peter Smith/Tarrant County
50. U of Texas Houston
51. Baylor
52. U of Texas San Antonio
53. Texas A and M
54. U of Wisconsin

I would mark most of the Texas schools off the list. Also are you FMG or IMG? Lastly you say a handful quantify it?(don't need an exact number ) what red flags are present?

if you're that desperate apply to all of them…wheres the problem? i know its expensive but not matching would suck more than forking out the money to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of places will not look at your application until it is complete.
If you think you have a less than competitive application, apply everywhere you'd consider going.

I thought the Geisinger program was pretty good. Just had no desire to live in that area.
A big part of how competitive a program is has to do with location.

Thank you for the replies. To answer the above, I have 3 interviews, am a US MD student. Other than my late letters, the main issue that I know of with my app is my step 1 (200s), which I know will get me screened out in some places. Step 2 was 240s. I had 5 High Passes and 1 Honors third year. One honors and one high pass in EM so far this year. My grade isn't out for my 3rd EM rotation yet. In the first two years of school, my gpa was in the low 3s, which was low for my school.

I think pp is right-- I should just suck up the $1500 and apply everywhere.

Apply broadly, then talk to your advisor. Are there some realistic options where your advisor would be willing to put in a call on your behalf if you don't have 8 or so interviews within a week or two? You CAN match with 3 interviews, but you need to rock the interviews. Be personable, be able to talk about your challenges, don't be seen checking your cellphone or anything that could convey disinterest .Give yourself plenty of travel time so weather snafus don't derail your chances. Good luck!

I recommend you have a back-up plan in the event you fail to match.

i'd contact every place that hasnt rejected me and tell them how much i love them and would they consider me for an interview

Quite honestly, I think you are behind the 8 ball putting out applications right now. On paper, you look to be a sound applicant, so I am not certain what the issue is? I think there has to be a red flag somewhere....

I would go for broke and apply to most of the programs on that list minus the ones in 'popular' places to live as those tend to be more competitive. Ideally, you should have done that earlier, but that cannot be changed now. Do it and do it this afternoon!