Which NBME should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

Its been a while since I last posted. Hope everyone is doing well with their prep. I was wondering if I can get someone's feedback on which NBME exam to take.

So I've been studying for the Step 2 CK exam off and on for the past couple of months. The last couple of weeks, I've been really hitting it hard. My exam is right around the corner (4/28) and I don't know which NBME I should take. Here is my dilemma, I have taken all four exams they have on their website. I feel if I take another one, then it may affect my score since I may see the same question again. I took 1, 2, 3, and 4 in that order, so I guess I'm farthest from 1, but will that be a good predictor of my score? I also took UWSA, so that doesn't help either. And I am not sure if Kaplan's SA exam is of any help. Don't read too many ppl discussing that one. I was thinking of doing the free 150 from USMLE, but not sure if that exam is a good predictor either. And I don't know the conversion from the percentage to actual score.

Just soo confused...

Background: US med student, done with clerkships, just barely passed shelf exams, not a good test taker, Step 1 - 199, Avg. UW 1st pass: 59%, UW 2nd pass: 58%, Avg. NBME scores - 200.

Thanks for all your help and feedback!

overfiend06

Members don't see this ad.

Hi old friend!
Im taking CK too later next month and been on and off...actually went down on my NBME tests...So starting back hitting it hard. I would suggest doing the USMLE 150qs. I know I've been told its a little easier than the test but most people's scores correlate well! Otherwise do the NBME test 1 - the farthest away. You may "think" you remember some questions, but you may also be remembering the wrong answers for them or mixing a question from UWSA. Either way if you're scoring better on them and understanding the questions- what they ask-what they want you to put two and two together on, you should be good to go. Id also review your UW questions that you got wrong reading ALL the explanations to make sure you understand the concepts. Good LUCK!! You're gonna do great and Pass!

Hello Everyone!!

Its been a while since I last posted. Hope everyone is doing well with their prep. I was wondering if I can get someone's feedback on which NBME exam to take.

So I've been studying for the Step 2 CK exam off and on for the past couple of months. The last couple of weeks, I've been really hitting it hard. My exam is right around the corner (4/28) and I don't know which NBME I should take. Here is my dilemma, I have taken all four exams they have on their website. I feel if I take another one, then it may affect my score since I may see the same question again. I took 1, 2, 3, and 4 in that order, so I guess I'm farthest from 1, but will that be a good predictor of my score? I also took UWSA, so that doesn't help either. And I am not sure if Kaplan's SA exam is of any help. Don't read too many ppl discussing that one. I was thinking of doing the free 150 from USMLE, but not sure if that exam is a good predictor either. And I don't know the conversion from the percentage to actual score.

Just soo confused...

Background: US med student, done with clerkships, just barely passed shelf exams, not a good test taker, Step 1 - 199, Avg. UW 1st pass: 59%, UW 2nd pass: 58%, Avg. NBME scores - 200.

Thanks for all your help and feedback!

overfiend06

Thank u for responding to my post old friend!! It's truly been a while since I last posted, but I had a feeling that you would be the one to respond to my post!! Thanks for your support!

I didn't have a chance to read your post before I took another assessment. I went with nbme2. Only because I heard 2 and 4 closely predicted your performance on step 2 ck. Of course it can be all speculation, but I went with it, since I took the nbme 4 last and knew the right and wrong answers.

Didn't have a chance to get to the 150 free qs, but I did the first block, which was okay. But based on my nbme 2 performance, I went out on a limb and kept my test date....today.

I'll post my feedback as soon as I get my score....hoping to pass..! But if any one has questions, I'll be sure to answer to the best of my ability.

Good luck to all!! Definately a doable test..

Hi old friend!
Im taking CK too later next month and been on and off...actually went down on my NBME tests...So starting back hitting it hard. I would suggest doing the USMLE 150qs. I know I've been told its a little easier than the test but most people's scores correlate well! Otherwise do the NBME test 1 - the farthest away. You may "think" you remember some questions, but you may also be remembering the wrong answers for them or mixing a question from UWSA. Either way if you're scoring better on them and understanding the questions- what they ask-what they want you to put two and two together on, you should be good to go. Id also review your UW questions that you got wrong reading ALL the explanations to make sure you understand the concepts. Good LUCK!! You're gonna do great and Pass!

I am taking step 2 ck soon. I was wondering where these 150 free questions are that people are talking about? I would like to do them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking step 2 ck soon. I was wondering where these 150 free questions are that people are talking about? I would like to do them.

its on the usmle website, under study materials, its fredv1 or v2, and it has questions in the software you install.

i have a question, since you did all 4 nbmes can you tell me which one i should do , im going to do 2 nbmes one now and one 2 weeks before my exam. any suggestions?

i have a question, since you did all 4 nbmes can you tell me which one i should do , im going to do 2 nbmes one now and one 2 weeks before my exam. any suggestions?

Do NBME 2 and 4. I'd do 4 now, and 2 right before your exam. Its pretty dead on.