Which Method is better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loula

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I posted this before, and got 1 reply...

but I'll try again... Any recommendations on a verbal stratgey, Kaplans Mapping paraphrasing, and notes... :confused:

OR, EK's Method.

Which Method is better??

Members don't see this ad.

Whichever one works best for you! Every one of us is a little different, so you have to find the strategy that works best with you. Personally, I liked EK's method.

I'm referring to the method in EK verbal resoning and math, did you use this method. or do they have other suggestions in their big books or audio osmosis..

I'm not familiar with EK of Kaplan's methods. I didn't do well with TPR's method, either. I worked at it till I found a way that works for me. My problem was gleaning info from the passage first time around. I started making notes that resembled heiroglyphs more than anything, but it worked. I paid attention to the main idea, mood, explanatory vs. persuasive. I jotted lttle things in the margins. As I read, if a question popped up in my head, I jotted it down. I also noted pivot points or counterarguments. Just simple phrases like "ecology good" helps cement things in your head. I found that by focusing on the passage, I had to go back to it less to answer questions (which I skimmed first for hard passages, but not for easy ones), and I shaved ten minutes off my verbal time.

That's my two cents. Just find a way that works for you, and try several methods several times to see what works. Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Loula said:
I'm referring to the method in EK verbal resoning and math, did you use this method. or do they have other suggestions in their big books or audio osmosis..

I used the EK style. I will let you know what happened to me when June 7 or thereabout rolls around. Don't forget to PM me because as someone once said, SDN members like to throw their numbers around like loose women, and I am not such.

Good luck in August, it's possible I will be joining you, just waiting for the confirmation or non-confirmation ticket--whichever one, would prefer the latter :D

I used TPR's method on the past 2 MCATs... did not work well, I do not recommend.
Tried EK's method last April, don't know how I did

However, I found that using EK's method I was able to get through all the passages...using TPR's I usually had 1-2 passages left that were bubbled randomly.

In my opinion, the best preparation is just taking multiple practice tests, get comfortable with the format and (try) to be relaxed come test day.

pyra said:
I used TPR's method on the past 2 MCATs... did not work well, I do not recommend.
Tried EK's method last April, don't know how I did

However, I found that using EK's method I was able to get through all the passages...using TPR's I usually had 1-2 passages left that were bubbled randomly.

Did you compare total number right with one method vs. the other? Just getting through the passages doesn't guarantee you any points, which is the tricky part.