Which Medical School for Rad Onc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateKiss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I replied to your other post in the derm forum. Got a better answer this time!

I would say go to Upenn then. That is definitely a very solid school and if you feel comfortable there, that's the most important thing. Your desired specialty is likely to change over and over so you don't want to pick a school just because it offers top connections to that specialty. You may find yourself hating the place if you ever change interests!

That and you shouldn't be at a disadvantage anyway coming from an Ivy League med school :)

I agree. Both Penn and UMich are safely within the top 10 RadOnc programs and are outstanding for undergraduate medical education to boot. Either will leave your options wide-open.

WashU/Yale have superb med schools as well though their RadOnc programs are (perhaps) not as highly regarded. But seriously, when you are talking about this caliber of school it doesn't make much of a difference, go where you would be happiest.

Members don't see this ad :)
ChocolateKiss said:
Hello,

Rad onc is currently my top choice for a specialty (although I'm not cerain I want to go into this field). I was wondering if is particularly important that I attend a med school with a top rad onc program or if I should just concentrate on the overall reputation of the program. I am considering Yale, WashU, Penn, and U Mich, and I believe U Mich has the best rad onc program out of these schools, but my favorite school overall was Penn.

Thanks!

Chocolate

Choose a school that jives with your teaching philosophy and supports your interests. You can't make a bad decision. All of those schools are fabulous. If you look at their match lists, that might give you an indication of where their students go, which I feel is a better measure of a school than the specific department. As far as departments go, my personal opinion is that U Mich outshines the others, but that Penn and Yale are a close second, with Wash U trailing behind. That being said, when you look at a department look for good mentors... And all of those programs will have great mentors... so you truly can't go wrong. As far as reputation goes... I believe you are splitting hairs by comparing their reputations. They are all in the same league.

My advice is to choose what feels best regardless of what you think you might want to do... choose a program that will keep you passionate and happy. When it comes time to choose a specialty... choose what makes you happy.

my 2 cents

plentystupid said:
Choose a school that jives with your teaching philosophy and supports your interests. You can't make a bad decision. All of those schools are fabulous. If you look at their match lists, that might give you an indication of where their students go, which I feel is a better measure of a school than the specific department. As far as departments go, my personal opinion is that U Mich outshines the others, but that Penn and Yale are a close second, with Wash U trailing behind. That being said, when you look at a department look for good mentors... And all of those programs will have great mentors... so you truly can't go wrong. As far as reputation goes... I believe you are splitting hairs by comparing their reputations. They are all in the same league.

My advice is to choose what feels best irregardless of what you think you might want to do... choose a program that will keep you passionate and happy. When it comes time to choose a specialty... choose what makes you happy.

my 2 cents

i believe it is regardless

Some words of advice.

1. Definitely choose a medical school that has a broad range of outstanding departments and specialties. The ones that you mentioned are all great. Interests, perspectives, and life situations change. I chose radiation oncology as a specialty, but I did not know that radiation oncology was a field when I applied to medical school.

2. Having a top-notch radiation oncology department at one's medical school is a large advantage. Connections matter in this small field.

3. Like real estate, think location, location, location. Some like big cities. Others like to hike or fish or tan on the beach. Make sure that you choose a medical school that suits your style.

4. Life is not a zero-sum game and there are many paths to excellence.

5. Make sure you do what you love and what you are passionate about. I feel that many go into radiation oncology for the perception of short hours and great pay. That may not always be the case. I have met a lot of unhappy docs out there. If you get into med school, you are smart enough to do what you love. Regardless of perception, it is diffcult to be outstanding at anything without passion and dedication (i.e. long hours).

you cant go wrong with any of those schools...based on numbers though, upenn, mich, and washu have larger residency programs, so if you want to stay at those programs, you may have a better chance. all 3 have equal # of highly esteemed attendings. radonc is slightly regional in nature, so depending on where you want to live in residency, you may want to pick that part of the country for med school. also, ann arbor is a college town (great atmosphere, cold winters), where as phili is a big city (great restaurants, city of brotherly love), and new haven and st louis? are somewhere in-between.

ChocolateKiss said:
Hello,

Rad onc is currently my top choice for a specialty (although I'm not cerain I want to go into this field). I was wondering if is particularly important that I attend a med school with a top rad onc program or if I should just concentrate on the overall reputation of the program. I am considering Yale, WashU, Penn, and U Mich, and I believe U Mich has the best rad onc program out of these schools, but my favorite school overall was Penn.

Thanks!

Chocolate

Being happy where you are going to school will definitely make it easier to put out the effort that it takes to succeed in med school and grab the residency you want. When considering Rad Onc, I've found it incredibly helpful to have a strong home department with faculty that are excited about my interest in the field. The schools you have to choose from will all provide you with a good Rad Onc experience as a student, so go to the place that you best fit in and didn't want to leave when you were on your interview.

bugmenot said:
i believe it is regardless

sorry about that...

And I am the worst speller to top it off...

You will have to excuse me, I've been very busy recently... and my mind has been in the clouds.

Thank you again