Which Med Peds program to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpediepod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm at a bit of a crossroads....I applied to 28 programs because i have no clue which geographic location I want to be in! Now I'm trying to narrow down some so that I will be able to physically be able to travel to all the interviews!!!

Any thoughts on the following programs would be much appreciated...

1. Rochester
2. Baystate
3. Case Western (metro health and rainbow babies)
4. Tulane
5. LSU
6. South Carolina
7. South Florida
8. Mississippi
9. Arkansas
10. Alabama - Birmingham
11. Maryland
12. St. Louis
13. MCV - Richmond, VA

I know it's a long list...but even one opinion would be helpful!!

Members don't see this ad.

when interviewing last season, looking for balanced medicine and pediatrics and being able 2 subspecialize in either was important. I checked out both sides match lists. one place with strong medicine (top 40) had a medpeds resident tell me that peds was like a vacation...not a good sign. pm me for other info

... I checked out both sides match lists. one place with strong medicine (top 40) had a medpeds resident tell me that peds was like a vacation...not a good sign.

Your mileage may vary. In some settings Ped's is a vacation compared to many IM. An extremely tough IM program might make a 'normal' ped program seem like recess some days. On the other hand, I seriously doubt there are many pediatric residencies out there that are easy.

Getting back to the original question - I know the 1st 5 program directors (and maybe #9 and #12) and can recommend on that basis alone. The others are, at the very least, very okay. If geography isn't a big issue, choose your higher priority programs by whatever criteria you use, draw the remaining few from a hat if necessary, and rank those you like.

j

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very saddened to see you have not included Louisville on your list. Is there a question or possible problem with our program? Please give me an opportunity to address your concerns.

Oh, and geographically we are "only" 4 hours from St. Louis by car, and an hour by plane (including take off and landing), and the weather is about the same.

Louisville is definately on the list! The above list is just programs I didn't know much about yet so wanted to hear some feedback.

I actually have a good friend who's a third year in the program there....so I'll be seeing you all on Nov 17!

You just need to make up your mind what is most important to you.

Hey all,
I'm at a bit of a crossroads....I applied to 28 programs because i have no clue which geographic location I want to be in! Now I'm trying to narrow down some so that I will be able to physically be able to travel to all the interviews!!!

1. Rochester - Great program if you can deal with 4 yrs of blisteriing cold
2. Baystate - Again great program, I liked the PD but cold...
3. Case Western (metro health and rainbow babies) - Metro health was good but I wanted more peds, no free standing hospital at the time i interviewed
4. Tulane - ??
5. LSU - ??
6. South Carolina - ??
7. South Florida
8. Mississippi
9. Arkansas
10. Alabama - Birmingham - Loved program, was in my top 3. Liked JR the PD
11. Maryland
12. St. Louis
13. MCV - Richmond, VA - got interview but cancelled, heard the area was bad.

From your list, here are a few tid-bits that I gathered during my interview trail last year. I hope they help!

1. Rochester - amazing program... just get a huge coat, gloves, hat, and scarf, and you'll be fine.
2. Baystate - same as above (but felt that Rochester was a bit stronger and in a way better location)
3. South Carolina - super small program (I believe there are only 2 members in the intern class)
4. South Florida (up-and-coming program, really nice people, great location - would strongly consider)
5. Alabama - Birmingham - if I am recalling correctly (things might have changed), they lack a combined med-peds continuity clinic (which is a big plus in other programs)

Hey all,

1. Rochester
2. Baystate
3. Case Western (metro health and rainbow babies)
4. Tulane
5. LSU
6. South Carolina
7. South Florida
8. Mississippi
9. Arkansas
10. Alabama - Birmingham
11. Maryland
12. St. Louis
13. MCV - Richmond, VA

I really enjoyed my interview at USF and Tampa is a wonderful city. It climbed up on my list much higher than I expected when I applied.

Factors important to me when i was interviewing:
-the current residents- did they get along with each other? did i feel like i fit in with them?
-the pd- i wanted a program with a dedicated pd who was a strong advocate for the m-p residents
-geography/cost of living

i wish i could give you feedback on those programs, but i looked midwest/west.

good luck!

i love the first time posters, new to SDN apparently, who only come to complain about something without adding anything informative to the site at large. nice.

and for the record, the sample of people that i talked to on the interview trail during last season's interviews looking at UPMC were by and large positive.

and, sometimes program directors go on vacations or have emergencies that arent the business of the rest of civilization.

Have any of you med/peds candidates considered the excessive amount of time and cash you are going to be forking out over the years to the ABIM and ABP for board certification and recertification in both specialties? Are any med/peds docs contacting the ABIM and ABP to try and get reduced rates for these exams? I think that the board certification/recertification process is a huge hassle which does not make sense, especially when we have NPs/PAs presenting themselves as physician equivalents but not having to jump through the same hoops as physicians.