Which Match, AOA or NRMP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Oc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else confused about which match is best to apply through? I'm registered for both, but applied to the allopathic program at each of the dually accredited FP programs that I was interested in. I'm going to ask each one that I am interviewing at which match I should try to match through. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does anyone have any stories on how it turns out if a DO matches to a dually accredited program through the NRMP instead of the AOA? One of the programs that I talked to said you still get your AOA approval, but the process is paperwork-heavy and takes forever if you matched through NRMP.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to ask each one that I am interviewing at which match I should try to match through.

I think that's your best bet. I am only applying to one dually-accredited program, and they were very upfront about the fact that they take 2 DOs through the NRMP match and 2 from the AOA. Which I assume means since the AOA match is smallerand you aren't up against MDs, your odds are better going AOA.

I've decided not to bother with the AOA match for that reason, and because this program isn't very high on my list.

That said, I think it will vary between programs and you should get as much info from them about the process as you can.

As for getting your internship year approved...I hear it's really not that big of a deal anymore and they they pretty much accept everyone's applications. They kind of don't have much choice if they want us to stay "in the profession."