Which is better, UK vs Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterboy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to graduate from medical school now and thinking where to start my career with.
UK or Republic of Ireland?

I would to like hear thoughts of different people.
How is the work and experience,
how is the standard of living
how enjoyable it is to work,
how are the starting salaries and other important factors in the work between these two countries.

Anyone pretty please? :D

Members don't see this ad.

It's sort of relative...but where are you from and where did you study?

I am about to graduate from medical school now and thinking where to start my career with.
UK or Republic of Ireland?

I would to like hear thoughts of different people.
How is the work and experience,
how is the standard of living
how enjoyable it is to work,
how are the starting salaries and other important factors in the work between these two countries.

Anyone pretty please? :D

Within the UK: NHS England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland might all require separate application (I'm not sure if they are officially "separate" entities) so don't limit yourself to just England because you think application to NHS England covers the entire UK because it may not.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's sort of relative...but where are you from and where did you study?
I am Indian and studying in Budapest (Hungary) and I have Hungarian spouse.

Within the UK: NHS England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland might all require separate application (I'm not sure if they are officially "separate" entities) so don't limit yourself to just England because you think application to NHS England covers the entire UK because it may not.
JohnSnow: Do you mean registering with GMC is not enough to work in the entire UK??

And coming back to my questions :
How is the work and experience?
how is the standard of living?
how enjoyable it is to work?
how are the starting salaries?

I am Indian and studying in Budapest (Hungary) and I have Hungarian spouse.

JohnSnow: Do you mean registering with GMC is not enough to work in the entire UK??

And coming back to my questions :
How is the work and experience?
how is the standard of living?
how enjoyable it is to work?
how are the starting salaries?

To apply for foundation training which is the level you would apply for, you apply in general and then rank deaneries (areas) which include Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. All of your other questions will depend on the exact hospital and job stream you end up in and can't be generalised by country within the UK.

To apply for foundation training which is the level you would apply for, you apply in general and then rank deaneries (areas) which include Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. All of your other questions will depend on the exact hospital and job stream you end up in and can't be generalised by country within the UK.

Thank you.
Any idea from what range the salaries start in Foundation year? Also, after taxes how much can one get per month? (without working overtime)

Thank you.
Any idea from what range the salaries start in Foundation year? Also, after taxes how much can one get per month? (without working overtime)

Your basic salary is low 20 something K. It is actually reasonably difficult to find up to date info online and I have no idea where my old contract is to check. On top of the basic salary if you are in a banded job you get 20-80% of the basic again so 120-180% of the basic. Banding is to do with how many hours you do. During foundation you will do 6 different 4 month jobs. Likelihood is that at least one will be unbanded meaning you get purely the basic salary in those 4 months. How many banded and unbanded jobs you get depends on which hospital you work at and which job track you have. If you only have 1 unbanded job it is usually general practice which will be in the second foundation year at which point your basic salary will have gone up a bit. I only had 1 unbanded job but I know people that had 3 so salary is really variable. You can do locum shifts on top of that and plenty of people do, especially when they are unbanded. I think my lowest take home after tax was around £1850 a month.

Your basic salary is low 20 something K. It is actually reasonably difficult to find up to date info online and I have no idea where my old contract is to check. On top of the basic salary if you are in a banded job you get 20-80% of the basic again so 120-180% of the basic. Banding is to do with how many hours you do. During foundation you will do 6 different 4 month jobs. Likelihood is that at least one will be unbanded meaning you get purely the basic salary in those 4 months. How many banded and unbanded jobs you get depends on which hospital you work at and which job track you have. If you only have 1 unbanded job it is usually general practice which will be in the second foundation year at which point your basic salary will have gone up a bit. I only had 1 unbanded job but I know people that had 3 so salary is really variable. You can do locum shifts on top of that and plenty of people do, especially when they are unbanded. I think my lowest take home after tax was around £1850 a month.

Bambi,
Many thanks for a detailed reply and for clarifying the difference between banded Vs unbanded jobs.
I hope that £ 2000 a month would be enough for me and my wife to survive there. If we are lucky then she may get a job too that would help us. She has done Masters in tourism.
God bless.

If you choose deaneries outside of big cities, 2,000 pounds will be enough for both of you