which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I
44K vs 51K at UTSW.....?

Yeah I don't know what's up with that. All 3 residency programs in the med center have about the same stipend. Though, Houston is fairly reasonably priced to live in.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, hey, hey!

I say you go on the invite. It's Miami for God's sake. Plus, it would be nice to add another program to your list.

thanks for the advice everyone. maybe i could use the interview as an excuse to check out South Beach :)

btw, i went to baylor recently for an interview and was pleasantly surprised by it. another interesting tidbit is that apparently 2-3 prelims from last year liked IM at baylor so much that they were trying to give up on more competitive specialties like ophtho and rads to join the cat program as 2nd years. agreed that it kinda blows that the salary at baylor is not as high as utsw. also 2 weeks vacation seems a bit slim. the overall impression i got is that you could use your baylor residency training to get anywhere you wanted to go for fellowship, especially if you are looking at heme onc or cards. not sure if i'm up for three years of questionable houston summers, however. apparently they get pretty brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Houston is a little cheaper than Dallas, but not 7K cheaper. FWIW, Houston also has much better Vietnamese.

I like Houston more than Dallas overall. But with a wife and baby, 7K is a lot of formula, diapers, and frozen food.

Flying out to Chicago. Interview at Northwestern. Anyone have any insights about travel, hotels, etc...Any impressions?

Definitely take the train. Another way to save money is to stay at a hostel. I stayed at a totally adequate hostel in Chicago for 30 bucks a night.

Northwestern...I interviewed earlier this month and stayed at the Wyndham which most other applicants seemed to do as well. It was $99/night but totally worth it due to convenience. Northwestern is literally across the street. And if you're flying into O'Hare you can easily take the train from the airport for $2.50 and walk 5 blocks to the hotel. I'm a girl, so safety is always a concern for me, but I did all of this alone and it worked out great.

The interview day is long from about 7:30-4:00, but they give breakfast and lunch. I had two interviews and they were laid back. Also got to see Morning Report, round with a team, get a tour. Overall it was my favorite interview day. The residents are awesome

Anyone interviewed here? What was your impression of the program? Trying to decide whether to go on the interview.,its my very last and I'm considering canceling because it means I have to fly out from LA. However I'm concerned I'll miss out on a great program.

Need help ASAP lol.

OHSU vs. Bayview? Both seem to be great, I am leaning towards OHSU, but not quite sure yet!

Need help ASAP lol.

OHSU vs. Bayview? Both seem to be great, I am leaning towards OHSU, but not quite sure yet!

east coast vs. sorta mid west. that decides it. baltimore is a complete dump btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
east coast vs. sorta mid west. that decides it. baltimore is a complete dump btw.

Portland, Oregon is not in any way "sorta mid west."

I get what he's trying to say. Better would have been east coast vs. anywhere else. But that doesn't matter. OHSU rams Bayview in the rear end . . . without lube (take it ALL bitch!). Done.

I get what he's trying to say. Better would have been east coast vs. anywhere else. But that doesn't matter. OHSU rams Bayview in the rear end . . . without lube (take it ALL bitch!). Done.

:laugh::laugh:

I think interview travel has made me go into a state of delirium. I scheduled OHSU and canceled a portion of my east coast swing.

haha

:laugh::laugh:

I think interview travel has made me go into a state of delirium. I scheduled OHSU and canceled a portion of my east coast swing.

Nice work! ... I just ran into a someone on the interview trail who had interviewed at Michigan...and was rejected by OHSU!

I bet they got 5000 apps this year

Nice work! ... I just ran into a someone on the interview trail who had interviewed at Michigan...and was rejected by OHSU!

I bet they got 5000 apps this year

I am super excited about OHSU. I am sure I am a safety applicant for them :laugh:

....speaking of OSU...I'm ready to say this out loud. OSU = Wisconsin > U Minn

:laugh:

That's why YOU make YOUR list.

;)... thought that might get a rise out of the godfather himself

seriously though....1+ billion dollar critical care tower / cancer center slated to open in 2014 (they are one of ~40 comprehensive cancer centers, currently)

I know there aren't a lot of primary care lovers out there....but OSU has a HRSA grant that they are using to develop a seriously unique/innovative primary care track

...as for U Minn....eh...I like my cancer HARD

However ........ Madison >>> Columbus

just >....if there was a smaller >...or maybe even a 1/2 >, I'd use that.

Point remains ......>

Haha .. You reminded me of Yngwie J. (are you watching the Metal Evolution series?)

his comment on: (less is more) was: Actually, more is more

lol

seriously though....1+ billion dollar critical care tower / cancer center slated to open in 2014 (they are one of ~40 comprehensive cancer centers, currently)

I know there aren't a lot of primary care lovers out there....but OSU has a HRSA grant that they are using to develop a seriously unique/innovative primary care track

Sounds like a pretty awesome set-up over there.

UMinn, at least in it's sub-specialty divisions, is very basic science research heavy.

You get to start steering the direction of of career now. Just keep in mind you're not matching to H/O yet :)

I am in the opinion that Wisconsin>OSU>Minn. OSU seems to be making some strides into becoming something really special. I really think that all the midwest programs not named Michigan, WashU, Northwestern, are UChicago are overlooked. Wisconsin is pretty damn amazing. Wisconsin, OSU, Case will be near the top of my rank list. OHSU has just stirred the pot and the wife will need some major convincing.

I was pretty impressed by CCF. The PD seems to be a good guy, the residents seem happy and they match well. Not sure what to not like about the program. I know people say they don't get the bread and butter, but Dr. Nielson made a good case that they are as well trained as anyone in the nation.

I am in the opinion that Wisconsin>OSU>Minn. OSU seems to be making some strides into becoming something really special. I really think that all the midwest programs not named Michigan, WashU, Northwestern, are UChicago are overlooked. Wisconsin is pretty damn amazing. Wisconsin, OSU, Case will be near the top of my rank list. OHSU has just stirred the pot and the wife will need some major convincing.

I was pretty impressed by CCF. The PD seems to be a good guy, the residents seem happy and they match well. Not sure what to not like about the program. I know people say they don't get the bread and butter, but Dr. Nielson made a good case that they are as well trained as anyone in the nation.

DVN, can you elaborate on what impressed you when you visited Case Western? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I know people say they don't get the bread and butter, but Dr. Nielson made a good case that they are as well trained as anyone in the nation.

I'm starting to think there's no such thing as a "zebra ranch." In fact, one of the Mayo satellites is creeping up my rank list.

Also.....I know this isn't a popular thing to say, but I like hospitals that appear to be able to function without residents.

I'd rather not have an "autonomous" intern treating my pancreatitis tomorrow. Happy New Year!

DVN, can you elaborate on what impressed you when you visited Case Western? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just posted in the impressions thread.

I'm starting to think there's no such thing as a "zebra ranch." In fact, one of the Mayo satellites is creeping up my rank list.

Also.....I know this isn't a popular thing to say, but I like hospitals that appear to be able to function without residents.

I'd rather not have an "autonomous" intern treating my pancreatitis tomorrow. Happy New Year!

I use the terms Bread-and-butter and Zebra way to much. Make sure to take care of your pancreas tonight.

Anybody have thoughts on Mt. Sinai - Elmhurst? It's my last interview and I'm wondering whether I should cancel this one. I know that Mt. Sinai residents also spend some time rotating at Elmhurst, but are the benefits of a great institution like Mt. Sinai (research opportunities, faculty, etc.) also available to Elmhurst residents? There's not much information about Elmhurst on their official webpage

My rank list is predominantly university-affiliated community programs, so Elmhurst is appropriate for my consideration. However, the NYC programs I've visited (NY Hospital Queens, SUNY Downstate) haven't particularly made a great impression on me, and I'm not sure if Elmhurst would be any different.

Dr. Nielson made a good case that they are as well trained as anyone in the nation.

CCF deserves to be ranked so highly just because Dr. Craig Nielsen is an amazing person. I have been hearing a lot about his great leadership and his genuine care for residents education, and was even more impressed when I met him personally.

He is definitely the kind of PD you want to have. They are a rare breed.

I realized I have too many interviews for January and need to cancel some of these low tier programs. Which of these are worth checking out?

Beth Israel (nyc)
UPMC Mercy
Saint Louis U
EVMS
UConn
U Miami/Jackson Memorial
Case Western Metrohealth

Thanks!

Don't waste your time with EVMS .. from what I heard from a friend, its a dump. Of the list, if you have enough interviews already, save your money. If you want to live in miami, check out jackson m.

I got an interview invitation today to West Virginia University in Charleston. I'm thinking about not going, but I wanted to make sure that I'm not making a big mistake by turning it down. I've had a long interview season and I've interviewed with a lot of great programs that I feel that I'd be very happy at. Any thoughts on this program?

i have about 10 interviews so far (including UMD, jeff, temple, monte) and was wondering if it would be worth while to visit BU? I don't know anyone in boston, so it would be an expensive interview (hotel etc). wat are people's opinions about BU? do they get worked as much as the nyc programs?

thanks a lot.

wat are people's opinions about BU? do they get worked as much as the nyc programs?

thanks a lot.

It's been a while since I interviewed there and things have undoubtedly changed in the interim. But my experience was that, yes, the residents @ BU routinely got their butts handed to them. But it was good training albeit the place suffers from being in the shadow of the HMS 3. That said, there are plenty of sick folks in Boston so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Please advise:
Vandy vs UTSW

interested in GI and academic medicine..

Too late to cancel an interview for next Tuesday?

hey i am an IMG. I will appreciate your help with ranking these programs..

Uni of Cincinnati
Uni. of Connecticut
SUNY Buffalo

Thanks

hey i am an IMG. I will appreciate your help with ranking these programs..

Uni of Cincinnati
Uni. of Connecticut
SUNY Buffalo

Thanks

IMO Cinci or UConn are the best. I didn't visit Cinci, but was VERY impressed with Cinci. Dr. Warm is pretty amazing.

IMO Cinci or UConn are the best. I didn't visit Cinci, but was VERY impressed with Cinci. Dr. Warm is pretty amazing.

He means to say that he didnt visit UConn

He means to say that he didnt visit UConn

Well, I mean... I didn't visit MGH, but was VERY impressed with MGH (after reading its website). Dr. Whatshisface is pretty amazing (from what I hear from other people).