which diploma in tropical medicine program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suder73

Reaction score
I was thinking of pursuing a diploma in tropical medicine program and noted (from the ASTMH website) that there are a number of options in different places.
Most of the full-time ones seem to be of about 3 months duration, which seems very intensive.

The London School is well known and is probably an obvious option, but I heard that accommodation may be a problem for 3 months, and am looking at others instead. I was wondering if there are any that are considered 'better' than others. I would like to get a feel of what to expect and am interested to hear about others' experiences and problems encountered - quality of teaching, coping with workload, and also the overall experience.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd look into the Baylor College of Medicine's Tropical Medicine program. You have 3 years to finish 4 modules. The first 2 is webinar, but the last 2 modules is about 2 weeks in length each, so pretty doable. There have been some faculty, medical students, and outside physicians who have finished the course.

Reactions: 9 users
The University of Minnesota has a really good online course which allows you to sit for the ASTMH exam. I have not done it but I have researched it several times and know people who have done it.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks very much for these suggestions- I will certainly look into these

I thought a full-time program is also an option, and may provide some opportunities for networking, but am not sure if any preparation is required.
I was wondering if anyone might have any experience with other (non-US based) programs eg (Liverpool, Antwerp, Bangkok)

It probably does not matter too much which program- all would involve a combination of mostly lectures and some microscopy work, and if they are ASTMH approved, they would probably have roughly the same content. Just go with what you feel comfortable.

I think a more important question is whether you will stop at the Diploma or whether you want to continue into a Masters program in tropical medicine. If the latter, it obviously makes more sense to choose something that offers a Masters (eg Tulane, Mahidol).
If you are keen on a Masters, I would suggest avoiding the program at Mahidol (M.C.T.M). My experience was that it is somewhat disorganized, and overall, you don’t learn very much beyond the diploma.
If you want any more information please let me know. If you are keen on this program, it might also be worthwhile to get more information on the curriculum and see if it meets your expectations.

I think a more important question is whether you will stop at the Diploma or whether you want to continue into a Masters program in tropical medicine. If the latter, it obviously makes more sense to choose something that offers a Masters (eg Tulane, Mahidol).
If you are keen on a Masters, I would suggest avoiding the program at Mahidol (M.C.T.M). My experience was that it is somewhat disorganized, and overall, you don’t learn very much beyond the diploma.
If you want any more information please let me know. If you are keen on this program, it might also be worthwhile to get more information on the curriculum and see if it meets your expectations.

I was seriously considering the Mahidol option, which has a diploma program that continues into a Masters. The website information on the curriculum is a bit vague; (there is something about a seminar and apprenticeship which is not clear).
Could you please tell me more about your experience? Are you referring to only the Master, or the diploma also.

Could you please tell me more about your experience? Are you referring to only the Master, or the diploma also.

I found the diploma generally ok. I was referring specifically to the Masters (note this is the Master of Clinical Tropical Medicine [M.C.T.M]).

My most distinct memory of the program is a weekly student presentation [“critical appraisal”] (this may have been the ‘seminar’ you mentioned). On one afternoon each week, students took turns to give a presentation on a journal article of their choosing, together with their ‘critical appraisal’ of the article. These sessions were attended by teaching staff. When all students finished their turn (after about 2-3 months), another round of presentations began (this time based on a topic review of students’ choice) which ran until the program ended.
At each of these sessions, after each critical appraisal presentation, other students would take turns to say something about the article. This was followed by each staff member saying something about the article.

There was no actual acknowledgement of the student;'s presentation and critique, just disparate comments. Staff seemed to feel they had to say something over and beyond students’ contributions, to demonstrate some higher level of understanding/insight, and could not bring themselves to simply agree with anyone. There were occasions when staff just repeated what the presenter had said as though it was an original contribution, or wrapped up the same idea in a different format.
It was clear from their comments & questions to the presenter that some staff had not read the article before the session (and were doing so along the way). Each weekly session was supposed to last 3 hours, but the room would often start emptying progressively long before then, often leaving only the students and moderator at the end.

It would appear to be a pretty basic consideration for the course coordinator to coordinate and approve each student's article and topic choices at the beginning of the year and then place all these choices in some file in a common drive, so that everyone knew who was doing what and there would be no overlap between students, even if one wanted to change one's topic later on. One could then at least prepare one’s presentation ahead of time, put the silly thing aside and focus on other things. But this was not the case- there was absolutely no inclination on the part of the course directors to do so, even when this suggestion was raised. So you had to wait for others to finish their turn before being able to begin your own preparation. This would not have mattered to those at the front of the queue, but became a source of frustration for those nearer the end. It was all very lackadaisical and happy-go-lucky. There was a clear sense that these ‘seminars’ were very low priority for staff, and they were simply being used to fulfill credit requirements, without entailing too much staff effort.

The reason why I am describing this in a bit of detail is that while I found these weekly “seminars” to be a waste of time and energy, they nonetheless become the focal point of the program-either it was your turn to give a presentation, or you were waiting for your turn, or you had to prepare to make some comment. The program metamorphosed from a ‘Master of Tropical Medicine’ into a ‘Master of Critical Appraisal’.

Staff are knowledgeable in their fields- no issues regarding this. The other taught components were not particularly noteworthy, but were somewhat random (both with respect to scheduling and content). The program is probably low priority for the staff, and seems to have been designed to keep students occupied and fulfill university credit requirements while minimizing staff responsibilities and workload. One is left with a little sense of having been cheated of one's time and resources,.

There was stress but it was the wrong type of stress. The stress came from anticipating and giving unnecessary presentations that nobody was interested in, and overall a lack of focus,. There was no sense of a common purpose among students or moving forward together as a cohort. Some students seemed more interested in socializing and bonding with academic staff.

I would suggest talking to others who attended the program if possible- maybe they will have a different perspective.
Overall, I would say that if you just want a different experience (maybe you just want a study-cum-vacation and an excuse to do some travelling while picking up a degree) and are not too fussed about the actual learning, then this option is probably ok.
But if you are seriously into tropical medicine, and it is part of your career plans, you might want to look at other options.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Thanks so much for your reply and taking the trouble.
This is really very helpful; its great to have a sense of what to expect.

Just a couple of quick questions:
Do you think it would be possible to opt out of these seminars. Did you find the other parts of the program worthwhile.

You mentioned that each seminar was 3 hours long. Just curious- did a single student presentation take that long?

Just a couple of quick questions:
Do you think it would be possible to opt out of these seminars. Did you find the other parts of the program worthwhile.
You mentioned that each seminar was 3 hours long. Just curious- did a single student presentation take that long?

During my time, these “seminars” were compulsory. You were given a grade, and needed to pass this unit to pass overall. Its probably not an option to absent yourself regularly, as the class is fairly small and frequent absences would probably be noticed.

The other taught components were so-so, not particularly noteworthy, but nothing really substantive. There were some ward rounds which became a bit repetitive after a while.

If I recall correctly, there were 3 student presentations scheduled every week. Each presentation was allocated 1 hour.

I completed the DTMH at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) and could provide some comments on this.
As leela points out, it essentially comprises lectures interspersed with some laboratory sessions, and was very intensive. The lectures were good and all the teaching aspects were generally fine. Overall, I am happy with my experience there.

I would just like to point some (logistical) problems you may face, especially if you are a foreigner (like myself) i.e. not a native of UK or EU.

In the UK, you are not permitted to open a bank account as a foreign student unless your study program is at least of 6 months duration, and this can make things quite difficult. You will probably have paid the tuition fees before arrival. Nonetheless, you will still require funds for living expenses and accommodation. You can of course bring in cash, but note that cash transactions seem to be viewed with a bit of suspicion (the UK considers itself a ‘cashless’ society or at least is moving in that direction). The accommodation may not accept cash (my accommodation provider allowed me to deposit cash into their bank account, but this may not always be possible). You may also not wish to leave large amounts of cash in your lodgings.
So you may want to consider setting up a (UK currency) account in your home country that is linked to a card that you can use for some online transactions and cash withdrawal (from UK ATMs). If you use your usual cards, you may end up paying large amounts in exchange rates and other hidden costs.

The photocopying and printing services at the school are charged and require a local bank card for use. You are unable to use cash to pay for these services. So you can be a bit handicapped as a foreigner if you like printing things out instead of reading off your computer. It would be good if the School could provide some form of (pre-paid) cash cards for this purpose. Probably not terribly important for a 3-month study, but just something to be aware of.

As a foreigner, finding accommodation is not impossible but can be a bit of a catch-22. The standard advice given is to have a look at the accommodation before signing a contract, but that’s a bit difficult if you are in another country. So you could try looking for a short term option first (say a few days or a week), but unless you book a hotel stay (which can be expensive), these are not readily available. You can book with a hall of residence (there are a few in the vicinity), but you would need to commit to at least for 1-3 months of stay before arrival (i.e. without viewing first). These halls have flats that are shared by a few people. They are reasonable options, but can be a bit tiny and involve sharing kitchen and possibly bathroom facilities, but note that the walls between rooms in a flat are thin, and noise filters through quite easily from adjoining rooms (a bit of a problem if your neighbours are noisy, especially at night). It would be good in theory to share a flat with your classmates, but if you don’t know anyone in advance and are coming alone, there is really no one to help coordinate this in advance of your arrival. Some accommodation providers may make bizarre demands, like a copy of your bank statement or a “UK guarantor” (i.e. someone who will be willing to and can be relied on to pay your rent should you decide to default payment!). In addition, some providers unfortunately may have certain preferences eg gender, age, nationality etc (but this is by no means unique to Liverpool or the UK)). Also, public transport is expensive- in case you were considering living some distance away from the School. Some people cycle, but is probably not an option for foreigners.
The School will provide you with some accommodation listings, but beyond this, you have to navigate everything yourself, which can be a bit tricky especially if you are trying to do so from another country.

I am not sure if this is helpful but hopefully this gives an idea of some stuff that you may not be aware of at the point of application. But once you’ve sorted out your accommodation, everything else is fairly minor, and the program itself is well worthwhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Just to add an additional point that the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) is not part of the University of Liverpool (it awards its own degrees). As a LSTM student, your affiliation to the University of Liverpool therefore appears to be as remote as, say, a student from the University of Leeds or University of Glasgow. I just thought I would mention this as I found it a bit strange when I first found out. But it probably does not matter too much (most students were probably not aware of this). The DTM&H from LSTM is well-regarded and widely accepted, so this is not really an issue.

In practical terms however, what this means is that, as a LSTM student, you don’t have automatic access to University of Liverpool (UoL) libraries & other facilities like the gym (these are just a short 5-10 minute walk from the LSTM buildings). You can however apply to be a guest member of the library- this allows you access to the UoL library (and also to other university libraries across the UK), but membership privileges will be limited (eg you may not be able to enter the library during exam/peak periods or have access to online search facilities). But the LSTM does have its own smaller library.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I completed the MSc in Tropical Medicine and International Health at the London School of Tropical Medicine, and found it excellent. The content of the first term for this course (from Sept-Dec) is equivalent to the DTM&H, that is, by completing the MSc, you can obtain both the DTM&H and MSc degrees.
There was a student who had previously completed the DTM&H at Liverpool who joined us in Jan. She chose not to do her Masters at Liverpool as she would have to start from scratch (from Term 1) because the Liverpool DTM&H was not considered a part of any Master program there.

This seems a little odd. I know the Liverpool DTM&H has a good reputation, but if this is indeed the case, then the Liverpool School appears to devalue its own DTM&H a little. If you were considering progressing to a Master after the DTMH at Liverpool, this will impact the duration of your study and the tuition fees etc. But please do confirm this with the respective Schools- this was some time ago and the policies may have changed so don’t take my word for it.

Last edited:
This is very helpful and useful to know, thanks very much for all the replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may find this website helpful:

Reactions: 22 users
I completed the Glasgow DTMH which runs part-time. It was good (I occasionally had some problems with the live streaming of lectures, but this was not a major problem). It also includes 2 teaching weeks in Glasgow, one of which focuses on practical microscopy sessions.
I personally found the material a bit heavy-going, as there was a quite a lot parasitology and other stuff that I was not familiar with. So even though it is 'part-time', it involves a lot of work and time commitment. I still took three weeks off work before the exam to study full-time.
Do check out this website which provides a good review; I would agree with most of it (but it is a bit old, as far as I know, there is no longer a residential component at the London school)

Reactions: 13 users
I took a year off a few years ago and did the M.C.T.M at Mahidol in Bangkok, and can add a little to leela7864’s comments.

The first six months was the diploma in tropical medicine, and this was followed by the Masters for the next six months. I found the two halves of the year quite different experiences.

The first half was ok. Apart from lectures and laboratory work, it also included some ‘field’ trips which involved a bit of travelling to other parts of Thailand, which was interesting (a small aside: the last “field” trip was actually bedside teaching in another hospital in Northeastern Thailand). The first four months was the core component of the diploma and was very intensive; the last two months was spent doing some electives which were perhaps less useful. Perhaps more of the elective time could have been allocated to the core component instead, but generally it was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
The Master component (M.T.C.M) on the other hand was a somewhat drab affair. I recall the “seminars” also, but what left a more lasting impression was that the program as a whole was very disorganized- you were moving from a presentation to some some lecture and then some other session, all with no real purpose. There was one full day of mind-numbing lectures squeezed in somewhere on systematic reviews and meta-analysis (SRMA)- I am not sure what one was expected to learn from this, given that SMRA is usually a stand-alone module taught over a few weeks or a full semester. In between all this, there was some time allotted to data collection for the final report (‘thematic paper’).

But I am not sure I’d agree with the advice to treat it as a vacation opportunity- the tuition fees are quite substantial and it seems like an expensive vacation to me.

My advice to anyone in this program is not to take the didactic component too seriously. Some stuff like the seminars were compulsory, but other parts (like the SMRA) can be skipped.
The program structure is such that it will not really enrich your learning in tropical medicine very much beyond the diploma. But there are some ward rounds and a bit of clinical teaching which can help reinforce the material. The time during the M.C.T.M can also be used to pursue other personal goals, while experiencing doing a bit of data collection and analysis for the report.

-------------------------------------------------

Hegrath’s post reminded me of a bizarre incident during my M.C.T.M study. There were only two of us students in an elective class, myself (male) and another girl. The session was given in one of the tutorial rooms in the faculty building by a teaching staff, and lasted an hour or so. While he was leaving, two female academic staff entered the room.
I did not think much of it at that time, but now thinking back, I have absolutely no idea why they decided to enter that particular tutorial room at that time of the day (it was about 4:30 pm) when there were no further classes scheduled. (If they were looking for a quiet place to talk perhaps, there were other empty rooms on the same floor, which they would have had to pass to access this room we were in. There were also lots of other quiet places on the campus).

The room had an oval table; I had been sitting next to this girl on one side, and the two female staff proceeded to sit slightly diagonally opposite to us. Almost immediately, the girl next to me gets up, and joins the two female staff on the other side, so that now all three of them were sitting next to each other opposite me. They then started talking energetically among themselves, the conversation essentially revolving around some joint meeting/seminar which the faculty hosted with another hospital, and there seemed to be great interest in which clinical staff had attended. So it was basically along the lines of ‘did she come?’ “was he there?’ etc.

All the while, I was sat opposite them, silently watching the spectacle (but trying not to stare). It was a bit like watching a movie on a screen- I think I was a bit transfixed. They were quite happy to ignore me- there was absolutely no attempt whatsoever to involve me in their exchanges. They also seemed to be quite happy saying/asking one another more or less the same thing repeatedly without feeling foolish. The actual content of their ‘conversation’ did not seem to matter too much- they seemed to be happy just to be in each other’s company. It reminded me a bit of 5-year old children who get a bit hyperexcited to see one another after some time apart.

After a good 5-10 minutes of animated female exchanges, they eventually got up. I let them leave first, and then left myself. It was difficult to know what to make of all this. Where on earth did the female staff come from? They have their offices in another building where they could sit and have a chat- why turn up at this particular tutorial room on the 4th floor of this building at the end of the day, and just when the lecturer was leaving?
They were very spontaneous and pally with the female student who walked over to sit with them so readily- the nature of their interaction was akin to three schoolgirls catching up with the latest gossip over coffee, not university professors talking to a student.

The ‘conversation’ was obviously somewhat artificial and false, quite apart from being meaningless. During their cosy threesome, not a single word was uttered to me. On hindsight, was it all somehow planned for my benefit? Was it all premeditated? I have been on the receiving end of some nasty pre-planned skits by crude females previously. This, while not overtly nasty and seemingly even quite innocent, had a disturbingly similar feel to it.
If there was pre-meditation, it reflects extremely poorly on the female staff (both of whom I believe were assistant professors), both in terms of their maturity and intent. Based on previous experience, I have no problem associating this crass behaviour with the female student. But the professors? Did they collude with a student, scheme and execute this mindless charade, just to antagonise and alienate a male foreign student, someone they barely knew and should instead have been guiding and supporting?

The whole thing was a bit surreal and seemed very orchestrated. Yet it is hard to believe that academic staff of some seniority from a leading institution would engage in such puerile behaviour. These staff represent the university that employs them. For this reason, I probably just shut this incident out of my mind, as otherwise I would have to seriously question the maturity of the teaching staff, the worth of the degree conferred, and the values and ideals of the faculty and university itself.

But at the very least, I can say unequivocally that the comment “purposively ignoring anyone else in the vicinity” hits the nail right on the head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
This is a research article that may also be of interest.

Casebeer L.L. et al. Evaluation of the effectiveness of an international diploma course in tropical medicine. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2001 Spring;21(2):97-102.

Reactions: 7 users
Reactions: 2 users
Have you checked out the Gorgas course? Highly recommended

At LSTM, one of the lecturers told us about online case reports made freely available by the Gorgas program. I found these interesting and a useful learning resource. (These can be found on the Gorgas website UAB - School of Medicine - Gorgas Course - Case of the Week)

We were also told that the spectrum of tropical diseases may differ a little in different parts of the tropics. At LSTM, the focus was mainly on diseases encountered in Africa. If you do attend the LSTM program and are also thinking of sitting the ASTMH exam, you may need to do some additional reading yourself on conditions seen in the Americas and elsewhere

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Gorgas course? Highly recommended

I think the London School and the Gorgas course are both excellent options. But note that you need to apply to the Gorgas course well in advance (a year or more) of the start date as the places are limited and fill up fast. Gorgas was actually my first option but I applied too late and ended up at LSHTM instead (which was still a great experience anyway).

Reactions: 1 users
I did the DTM&H at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, and loved my time there. Excellent lecturers, good atmosphere, lots of new friends, fondly remember all the hours in the Dagnall lab staring down a microscope trying to make sense of faecal and blood smears.

As a foreigner, finding accommodation is not impossible but can be a bit of a catch-22. The standard advice given is to have a look at the accommodation before signing a contract, but that’s a bit difficult if you are in another country. So you could try looking for a short term option first (say a few days or a week), but unless you book a hotel stay (which can be expensive), these are not readily available.

One option may be to join a LSTM facebook group, and see if any alumni could provide any recommendations.

For short term stay,, you could also check out hostels in the vicinity. I only know of Hatters Hostel on Mount Pleasant- it was a bit noisy but generally ok for a couple of nights.

Last edited:
I completed the MSc in Tropical Medicine and International Health at the London School of Tropical Medicine, and found it excellent. The content of the first term for this course (from Sept-Dec) is equivalent to the DTM&H, that is, by completing the MSc, you can obtain both the DTM&H and MSc degrees.

I agree the London School of Tropical Medicine has a lot of positives- good reputation, high quality teaching from world leading academics and clinicians, an international and multicultural atmosphere- you get people from all over the world coming to LSHTM for the DTM&H.

But accommodation is a not a trivial matter, especially if you are self-funding. Its not easy to find accommodation for 3 months (it may be a bit easier for a year). I was only able to find a place quite a distance from the school. The daily commute was a chore (and expensive), and going back every day from the School to my lodgings was also a bit depressing. Rents are much higher in London than the rest of the UK.

I am not sure what advice to offer as I don't live in the UK and am not really familiar with the city. But I think the OP has a valid concern. Ideally it would be best to go with your family/spouse/ boy/girlfriend, or with a few other people you know and can share some digs with. I hope this does not come across as flippant- I realise not everyone may be in a position to do so.

I did the DTM&H at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, and loved my time there. Excellent lecturers, good atmosphere, lots of new friends, fondly remember all the hours in the Dagnall lab staring down a microscope trying to make sense of faecal and blood smears.

Agreed! Just a point to note though, the DTM&H at Liverpool does not include any bedside clinical teaching, only lectures, labs and seminars. This did not matter too much to me, but I suppose this may be an important consideration for some people.

For short term stay,, you could also check out hostels in the vicinity. I only know of Hatters Hostel on Mount Pleasant- it was a bit noisy but generally ok for a couple of nights.

No experience with Hatters, but possibly a hostel is not that suitable if you are travelling from another country for the first time with quite a bit of luggage?
My impression of hostels is that they are generally ok for a night or two if you are travelling light- there is no guarantee that there will be sufficient secure storage space.

Thanks very much for these suggestions- I will certainly look into these

I thought a full-time program is also an option, and may provide some opportunities for networking, but am not sure if any preparation is required.
I was wondering if anyone might have any experience with other (non-US based) programs eg (Liverpool, Antwerp, Bangkok)

I went to Mahidol-Bangkok School of Tropical Medicine for the DTM&H in 2012 more for convenience; I am from an Asian country and I wanted to avoid the hassle of applying for a visa to the United States or the United Kingdom. Gorgas was also an option, but it was already full at the time.

Immigration: I had no problem with immigration matters- the visa application was smooth and painless (and quite fast-just a 2-3 days wait). But please note this was a few years ago- I have no recent experience.
Accommodation: again, this is not a problem- you can choose to stay at the Tropical Medicine accommodation (but you do need to apply a little in advance as I heard of some students who could not get a place there). This is the most convenient, as it is located within the campus, just a short 2 minute walk to the TropMed Buildings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
There was one bizarre incident during my time at Mahidol Tropical Medicine- while delivering a lecture, the lecturer walked up the steps dividing two halves of the lecture hall, turned and faced one half of the room (with her back to the other half) and delivered her entire lecture in that position. One can only presume she wanted to avoid looking at or making eye contact with someone or something in one half of the room, but one would have thought that a grown woman, especially a senior academic staff at a leading institution, would be able to control her emotions better, and behave with a little more decorum, and also set a better example to her students and staff?
That was really odd and sticks in the memory. I was in the half, together with about another 10 other students or so, that she was facing away from, and it felt very strange listening to someone talk at length halfway up the lecture hall with her back to you.

I remember going back to my apartment that day feeling strangely embarrassed. I am not sure why- I had not done anything wrong. Maybe I just felt embarrassed for the lecturer, or just embarrassed to be there.
But it was an isolated incident; overall the program itself was otherwise ok. I only remember there were a lot of lectures every day.

There were a few field trips which added a bit of spice to the program, and made it a bit more interesting, breaking up the monotony of just listening to lectures, and also providing an opportunity to visit other parts of Thailand. These involved quite a bit of travel, anything from around 5 to about 10 hours (depending on the province). The School organised vans for the shorter trips (and we travelled by state run buses for the longer ones). Be warned though, if travelling by van, you could find yourself cooped up with about 10 other people in quite a small space. This in itself is ok, as it's fairly comfortable, but the problem arises if the travelling group includes females who are unable to tolerate silence, and feel the need to talk non-stop for hours on end. Some of these females, who are mostly in their 20s-30s, still don't have a sense that other people might not want to listen to their endless and mindless conversations, and might find their incessant chatting intolerable. They are also quite happy to talk across you. For males in particular, you are probably better off making private travel arrangements, or at least take with you a pair of good quality noise-cancelling headphones.

Last edited:
Agreed! Just a point to note though, the DTM&H at Liverpool does not include any bedside clinical teaching, only lectures, labs and seminars. This did not matter too much to me, but I suppose this may be an important consideration for some people.

I would agree this is not really that important. We had some occasional clinical teaching, which made things interesting, but I don’t think it is going to improve your clinical acumen significantly. I think it is far more important to take the opportunity during the DTM&H to acquire a solid knowledge base that one will then be able to apply when working in the tropics.

I was thinking of pursuing a diploma in tropical medicine program and noted (from the ASTMH website) that there are a number of options in different places.
Most of the full-time ones seem to be of about 3 months duration, which seems very intensive.

The London School is well known and is probably an obvious option, but I heard that accommodation may be a problem for 3 months, and am looking at others instead. I was wondering if there are any that are considered 'better' than others. I would like to get a feel of what to expect and am interested to hear about others' experiences and problems encountered - quality of teaching, coping with workload, and also the overall experience.

Thanks

I studied at the Johns Hopkins summer institute a few years ago, and then spent a couple of years working in Africa.
The course is about 8 weeks long, but I believe you can opt for some shorter modules of 1-2 weeks duration if you can’t get away for 2 months. There was university housing available which was ok for a couple of months. . As above, its just mainly a combination of lectures and labs. I found learning how to diagnose malaria was a particularly useful part of the labs for my subsequent work in the tropics.

The Master component (M.T.C.M) on the other hand was a somewhat drab affair.

I was interested to read the posts on the MCTM program at Mahidol-Bangkok School of Tropical Medicine. I would like to add a slightly different perspective.

My most “unique” memory of the program was a Statistics “tutorial” (where students were supposedly given the chance to raise any questions they may have had on their data analysis).

There were about 15 students seated around a table. A female lecturer walked in to the room, walked up to a female student, asked the student pointedly if she was “ok”, sat down next to the student and proceeded to have a discussion with her on her project. A short while later, another female lecturer entered and did the same thing, i.e. walked up to another female student, and sat down beside her, while all the other students were seated quietly and foolishly waiting for their turn.
The turn never came, as the female lecturers engrossed themselves in a cosy discussion with their chosen female student for the entire one hour session, totally oblivious to everyone else, and when the hour was up, got up and quietly slid out of the room.

This experience forced me to re-examine my understanding of the word “tutorial”.

This incident was symptomatic of a broader issue related to my Mahidol Bangkok study experience.
The diploma or any Masters is a small component of one’s entire career and probably does not matter too much in the long run. Nonetheless, when one undertakes the trouble to apply to a program, and then travel and adapt to another country for a year, one hopes that the experience will be fulfilling and worthwhile, not only from an academic but also a social aspect.

However, I cannot say this was the case. Compared to other DTM&H programs I have heard about, this program is fairly small (about 20 students, give or take a few) and the MCTM is even smaller. The participants, many of whom are from neighbouring countries, are quite young (in their latter 20s mostly, possibly early 30s), and there was a large female preponderance in my cohort. These females quickly seek out other females within the first week, and stick closely with them for the rest of the year. (They will even ask you to change seats with them so that they can sit next to one another!) If they do get separated from their buddies and find themselves out of their comfort zone, they can always rely on the trusted smartphone as a handy diversion. There is no inclination, in fact there is probably some disinclination, to interact freely with certain males, except in fleeting ad-hoc situations or under strictly controlled conditions.

Unfortunately, instead of helping to break down boundaries, some of the female academic and admin staff perpetuate this divide. As my “tutorial” incident shows, some of them presumably feel more “com-fortable” sitting next to and talking to females, and lack the maturity to interact with all persons on an equal footing and professionally. (In fairness, this was not true of all staff, and did not by and large apply to the more senior academic staff eg the Dean). The incident was by no means an isolated experience (but was the most memorable one); many a time, females would have no compunction purposively ignoring anyone else in the vicinity or in the same room while happily and animatedly talking to or swooning over one another. Admin staff also seemed to share phone numbers and communicate freely and spontaneously with some students, while staying aloof and maintaining a distance from others.

Some staff also were extremely resistant to responding to or making contact by email (even on pertinent admin matters) and were happy to wait until they happened by chance to meet you somewhere to convey some message in person. This deep resistance to email communication was very difficult to fathom and very disturbing, as it meant they had no qualms leaving something hanging indefinitely in limbo, unless they were able to communicate on their terms.

The long and short of my experience was like a post-graduate working adult suddenly finding himself amongst a bunch of secondary schoolgirls, whose interest in you, if any, is limited to finding out your age and then sharing that juicy bit of information over a bubbly lunchtime chat.

In the absence of any meaningful interaction, it was a very lonely and a somewhat regressive experience; however much you try and ignore these things, invariably you lose a little of your humanity and I could not wait for the year to finish quickly enough.

My own perspective is while I could accept that the academic component may be imperfect, the social aspect plays a key part in defining one’s experience and memories.
Much as I would like to put a positive spin on things, in all honesty I am a bit envious of some of the experiences of some of my friends and other posters on this thread.

I am not sure if this is helpful to the OP, but perhaps just something to consider, especially if you are a slightly older male who will be re-locating alone, and hope to find yourself amongst a more mature and larger/mixed cohort.

Reactions: 26 users
Thanks again to everyone for all this useful information.

@Hegrath I was considering Mahidol as one of my options, so this is a helpful perspective. Thanks very much for sharing your experience.