Which dental schools have a pass/fail grading system? Any advantages/disadvantages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LidocaineMane32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening, I’m having a hard time finding a list of all the dental schools (in the US) that have a pass/fail grading system. Can someone let me know which schools do this and how it exactly works? Does the pass/ fail portion only apply to lab and clinical classes or does it apply to didactic courses?
what are the advantages and or disadvantages of the system?

Members don't see this ad.

off the top of my head I can think of Harvard, Columbia, UCONN, Stony Brook (partially PF), UCLA, UCSF

advantages are obvious.
Disadvantage is that it's harder to stand out when applying to competitive residencies, so it's better if there's a good name behind the school to back you up in this case.

Reactions: 1 user
P/F schools' courses are much more difficult to pass than schools with grades. UCSF and UCLA have honors pass so it's no longer P/F anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
P/F difficulty depends on what's considered a pass and not all courses are graded the same. It's nice when a pass is 60-65. Advantage is that if the bar is low, then less effort needs to be placed in passing, freeing up more time on more important things such as clinical experience + clinical self-study + CE courses + real world dentistry training + (research/studying for standardized tests for specializing). However, if you want to specialize, then you have to try harder to differentiate yourself from your classmates through good standardized test scores + research.

Every school is a pass fail school if you don't want to specialize.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users