Which clinical experience would be best for medical school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonnotes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was hired as a medical scribe at a private medical group working in internal care. However I have also just been offered a position as an "interventionist", a position through OHSU psychiatry and pediatrics departments where I am paired with a child who has a chronic condition and is in a difficult life situation (like foster care), I would be on call 24/7, work with the child to meet their medical needs, find ways to also ensure that the child is also going to school and such. I would also be doing research into how to better serve underprivileged children with chronic conditions while reducing their insurance costs. I am really interested in both positions but it is impossible for me to do both. Which position would be best when I have the end goal of applying for medical school in mind? It sounds awful but I do need to consider which will better prepare me or medical school... Does anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Really no correct answer for this. The meaningful experience will be what you get out of.
I have 100 hours of volunteering + 50 hours shadowing.
The rest is working on non-clinical stuff. But I still have interview and acceptances.

It really is a personal decision. You will probably get more rewarding experience working with the kids, which will lead to better odds at a mission oriented school. You could also get some research hours out of it, it seems. Potentially a LOR from a shrink as welk. To be honest though, 24/7 call would be a nightmare to most people. It doesn't sound that bad until you actually do it. When you're on call that much it blows, frankly.

That being said, there are tons of former scribes in med school. It's kind of cookie cutter, but it really just comes down to doing whichever interests you most. I doubt either one will be significantly advantageous over the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick the one that you think you would enjoy more as a job. That should be the first thing you decide.

If it's a wash and you want my opinion on what ADCOMs might look at more favorably.. I'd probably say the "interventionist" opportunity. Tons of med school applicants have scribing experience. I've never heard of a position like that and I imagine it would stand out to med school admissions people.

Either way you've done enough to demonstrate that you know the realities of healthcare through clinical experience IMO

Reactions: 1 user
I would pick the one that you think you would enjoy more as a job. That should be the first thing you decide.

If it's a wash and you want my opinion on what ADCOMs might look at more favorably.. I'd probably say the "interventionist" opportunity. Tons of med school applicants have scribing experience. I've never heard of a position like that and I imagine it would stand out to med school admissions people.

Either way you've done enough to demonstrate that you know the realities of healthcare through clinical experience IMO
+1. Do what y0u love, it shows