Which caribbean school is the best in terms of...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which caribbean school is the best in terms of getting a competitive residency in the UNITED STATES?

Members don't see this ad.

uclakid said:
Which caribbean school is the best in terms of getting a competitive residency in the UNITED STATES?

do a search youll be sure to find TONS of stuff regarding this topic.

That answer is easy: SGU. They have residents at Stanford and Hopkins and Professors at Yale and UVM.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my completely unscientific and admittedly empiric observation, I will tell you my impression during this year's interview trail in the Northeast for Anesthesiology, a competitive program this year.

As some background, I was recently at a program where they told us they'd received 650-700 applications for 7 spots. In all, they are interviewing about 150 people out of those applications. I've had similar experiences at other places in the other interviews I've gone on (i.e., large apps, fewer interviews, small number of spots). One PD told us that this was a drastic change from even 5 years ago where they got maybe 40 applications out of which they did about 15-20 interviews for the same number of spots. Oh, how times have changed.

Anyway, at all of the places I've interviewed so far, I saw the Carib schools represented. At one program, I was the only Carib applicant interviewing. At the others, there were plenty of SGU and Ross students (including some people from my class I was surprised to see), a few AUC students here and there, and only one Saba student so far. I saw no students from any other Carib schools.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
In my completely unscientific and admittedly empiric observation, I will tell you my impression during this year's interview trail in the Northeast for Anesthesiology, a competitive program this year.

-Skip
Hey, just curious, which programs in the Northeast?, have a friend at UMass and at BU. The UMass program I know has an SGU grad as a CA-2.

SKIP -

During your interview process how did the students from Ireland fare? Did they have an edge over the Carribean grads in your opinion?

Med-Student2B said:
SKIP -

During your interview process how did the students from Ireland fare? Did they have an edge over the Carribean grads in your opinion?

I have not seen any students from Ireland or Irish schools. I've been interviewing (and still have several more to go) at mid-tier University-based programs. I have seen students from the Carib schools I mentioned, a lot of osteopathy students, and a few "true" IMGs (i.e., from schools in Russia and Israel). In the interview pools, the IMGs have made up about 15% of the applicants.

I'm just offering you my observations. I haven't (and won't) interview at programs such as Cornell, Columbia, Mass General or the Brigham. They may be getting interviews to those programs. I really don't know. I did bump into a Harvard student at one program I was interviewing at in Boston, though.

-Skip

Saba's small size dictates you wouldn't see many Saba grads on the Northeast "interview trail". Ounce for ounce, pound for pound, Saba is by far, the most productive Med school in the Carbibbean--and most cost efficient I might add...

I say this as I write from my C-III perch in a Top 10 Anesthesiology Program.

(Note: this is also coming from someone who absolutely hated the island and its inhabitants!)