Which Caribbean Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azuz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I would like to ask questions about Caribbean Medical Schools, SGU, Ross and AUC which one should I choose? If you went to schools please give me pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is an entire subsection of this forum dedicated to Caribbean medical schools. 98+% of people on here will tell you that Caribbean is a bad idea. Go check it out for yourself here.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Guys, I would like to ask questions about Caribbean Medical Schools, SGU, Ross and AUC which one should I choose? If you went to schools please give me pros and cons.

If you're even remotely considering going to a Caribbean medical school, one of the first things you need to realize is that it is an entirely self-directed effort. You need to do the initial legwork yourself and get a basic idea of what you're in for. There are hundreds of posts in this forum alone about the schools you mentioned. I suggest you read through them first, and then if you have a specific question that hasn't already been answered ad nauseum maybe we can help you with that. You're basically asking for us to spoon-feed you, and that's a big red flag that the Caribbean is likely not a good path for you.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for honesty. I like SGU alot however they are very expensive alot of students basically i dont like big classes of 800 people really? AUC on other hand smaller classes and better condition of life but they arent as good as SGU though they are getting better more know each year but i m scared for my residency placement. Ross is whole new story came up.. they got hit by hurracane and now they are at Tennese Knoxville LMU. At least until december 2018. What if they decide island isnt going to be good? How long can they stay in temporary location by law? Please help me out with this dilema. Thankyou.

If you're even remotely considering going to a Caribbean medical school, one of the first things you need to realize is that it is an entirely self-directed effort. You need to do the initial legwork yourself and get a basic idea of what you're in for. There are hundreds of posts in this forum alone about the schools you mentioned. I suggest you read through them first, and then if you have a specific question that hasn't already been answered ad nauseum maybe we can help you with that. You're basically asking for us to spoon-feed you, and that's a big red flag that the Caribbean is likely not a good
What about Ross Accredition ? Will they lose it ? Will they sell ?

Thank you for honesty. I like SGU alot however they are very expensive alot of students basically i dont like big classes of 800 people really? AUC on other hand smaller classes and better condition of life but they arent as good as SGU though they are getting better more know each year but i m scared for my residency placement. Ross is whole new story came up.. they got hit by hurracane and now they are at Tennese Knoxville LMU. At least until december 2018. What if they decide island isnt going to be good? How long can they stay in temporary location by law? Please help me out with this dilema. Thankyou.
Why not try in the U.S. first?

Couldnt get in. 28 years old and willing to do whatever it takes to become MD. My friend told me to come 4 years ago i was scared and didnt go got a job as a manager making good money but not happy i have that gut feeling when i wake up everyday that feeling. I want give 200% to become weather its ross auc or sgu i know its going to be hard challange but i want to gwt to that 10% top of the class and get back in US and get in the residency even if its not competative like internal medecine. And yea that friend she got in to suny downstate internal medecine... this is my last chance and i want an advice and any tips. US schools arent an option. I understand that and fine with it.
Thankyou for your help.

Ross is in Tenesee until at least 2019 for sure.. i am confused..

Are they going to go back to dominica? What if they lose their accredition and i will be left with alot of loan. They say on thier website that they arent sure if they are going back..

How many applications cycles did you apply to US MD/DO and what are your stats?

Im starting at
Are they going to go back to dominica? What if they lose their accredition and i will be left with alot of loan. They say on thier website that they arent sure if they are going back..
what you need to understand is that Ross is a Dominican university. Everything they do needs to and has been approved by the Dominican medical board. If all the buildings aren’t repaired, they can’t go back. If there’s not enough housing for students, they can’t go back. If the airport isn’t offering enough flights in, they can’t go back, and you get the gist of it. Not to mention that everything on dominica is like 10x slower. It’ll take time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im starting at

what you need to understand is that Ross is a Dominican university. Everything they do needs to and has been approved by the Dominican medical board. If all the buildings aren’t repaired, they can’t go back. If there’s not enough housing for students, they can’t go back. If the airport isn’t offering enough flights in, they can’t go back, and you get the gist of it. Not to mention that everything on dominica is like 10x slower. It’ll take time.

Well i dont mind doing it in tenesse nad do my 2 years in US. And rotation in NY

Well i dont mind doing it in tenesse nad do my 2 years in US. And rotation in NY
I still think you should try SGU.
I am a little concerned about your grammar and spelling, is English your second language?

English is my 4th language.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you try DO school? Podiatry?

Couldnt get in. 28 years old and willing to do whatever it takes to become MD. My friend told me to come 4 years ago i was scared and didnt go got a job as a manager making good money but not happy i have that gut feeling when i wake up everyday that feeling. I want give 200% to become weather its ross auc or sgu i know its going to be hard challange but i want to gwt to that 10% top of the class and get back in US and get in the residency even if its not competative like internal medecine. And yea that friend she got in to suny downstate internal medecine... this is my last chance and i want an advice and any tips. US schools arent an option. I understand that and fine with it.
Thankyou for your help.

Yes SGU has a ton of students, but they have two options for classes- big class lecture hall (800 in fall, 400 in january) or smaller group classes, called ITI (small group learning, which is about 7 students in a group, listening to lectures together and you have an MD grad from SGU going over the material with you after each lecture going over high yield stuff and MCQs). It's really good if you are a small group style learner. Don't let the big class size at SGU deter you- there's a million resources here and tons of help. In a way, it feels like a small campus to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes SGU has a ton of students, but they have two options for classes- big class lecture hall (800 in fall, 400 in january) or smaller group classes, called ITI (small group learning, which is about 7 students in a group, listening to lectures together and you have an MD grad from SGU going over the material with you after each lecture going over high yield stuff and MCQs). It's really good if you are a small group style learner. Don't let the big class size at SGU deter you- there's a million resources here and tons of help. In a way, it feels like a small campus to me.
Did u apply MD/DO in US first?

USMD and then DO. US schools don’t care about your age, 28, if you have good scores, good LOR and something else to back you up like research, masters ect.
Did you try DO?

Avoid Carib option....this so coming from a Carib grad...

Im starting at

Are you attending there?

Did you try DO school? Podiatry?

How good is Podiatry? I mean growth potential? job placement and why on earth they need someone to study 4 years then residency for another 3 years to study taking a nail out of someone's foot!!!!!

How good is Podiatry? I mean growth potential? job placement and why on earth they need someone to study 4 years then residency for another 3 years to study taking a nail out of someone's foot!!!!!

Shadow a podiatrist for a few days, and you'll see that they do much more than that. It's a surgical specialty and requires a great deal of training.

Shadow lots of diffrent Pods too. Podiatrist that graduated in the 80s are not the same as pods graduating today.

Growth potential is solid and saturation hasnt hit DPMs because they kept the amount of schools and graduating class size small. As long as people have feet, they will see foot doctors, even if Nurse Practitioners can do most non surgical stuff.

3 schools take the same classes side by side with the DO students and are held to the same standard. These schools tend to have better match rates and prep for boards better.

As for the comment about the length of training, would you want someone under qualified digging around in your foot with a scalpel? If a loved one ever need a toe removed, do you want your Pod to know about vascular makeup or bone structure? Pods need to know the whole body because the Foot is a part of the body and is connected to the body. Things that happen in the body sometimes show up in the feet, and foot screenings are very important to have.

Its not MD/DO, but its the closest thing you are going to get as being an actual physician in the united states, many would argue that DPMs are. I would rather be a DPM than a PA or NP. I would go DPM before ever thinking about the Caribbean.

If you enjoy working in primary care, dermatology, radiology, ortho surgery, and truama all of the foot and ankle (in some states up to the hip), Podiatry might be a good alternative to being a MD/DO in the USA for you. If your heart is set on Internal Medicine, any surgical specialty like urology, ENT, Nuero, Ortho of other joints, OBGYN, Psych, and a few others, then Podiatry will likely leave you unfulfilled.

Shadow lots of diffrent Pods too. Podiatrist that graduated in the 80s are not the same as pods graduating today.

Growth potential is solid and saturation hasnt hit DPMs because they kept the amount of schools and graduating class size small. As long as people have feet, they will see foot doctors, even if Nurse Practitioners can do most non surgical stuff.

3 schools take the same classes side by side with the DO students and are held to the same standard. These schools tend to have better match rates and prep for boards better.

As for the comment about the length of training, would you want someone under qualified digging around in your foot with a scalpel? If a loved one ever need a toe removed, do you want your Pod to know about vascular makeup or bone structure? Pods need to know the whole body because the Foot is a part of the body and is connected to the body. Things that happen in the body sometimes show up in the feet, and foot screenings are very important to have.

Its not MD/DO, but its the closest thing you are going to get as being an actual physician in the united states, many would argue that DPMs are. I would rather be a DPM than a PA or NP. I would go DPM before ever thinking about the Caribbean.

If you enjoy working in primary care, dermatology, radiology, ortho surgery, and truama all of the foot and ankle (in some states up to the hip), Podiatry might be a good alternative to being a MD/DO in the USA for you. If your heart is set on Internal Medicine, any surgical specialty like urology, ENT, Nuero, Ortho of other joints, OBGYN, Psych, and a few others, then Podiatry will likely leave you unfulfilled.
Shadow a podiatrist for a few days, and you'll see that they do much more than that. It's a surgical specialty and requires a great deal of training.

Thank you for the input.... although my point is that you work on the foot only and that cant be compared to working on the entire human body... anyone knows if podiatry is a field acknowledged overseas ?

Thank you for the input.... although my point is that you work on the foot only and that cant be compared to working on the entire human body... anyone knows if podiatry is a field acknowledged overseas ?

A lot of physicians don't work on the whole human body, and those who do (internal medicine, family medicine, pediatrics) don't get to perform surgeries.

Yes, in some countries, podiatrists have practice rights. What country are you talking about, in particular?

A lot of physicians don't work on the whole human body, and those who do (internal medicine, family medicine, pediatrics) don't get to perform surgeries.

Yes, in some countries, podiatrists have practice rights. What country are you talking about, in particular?

EU? Asia?

E. None of the above.
Retake classes, study harder for the MCAT, do whatever it takes to get into a US MD/DO. don't take the easy way out

• Haha

SGU is expensive but not much more expensive than some other schools in the U.S. The classes are larger than AUC however SGU has decided to implement houses similar to Harry Potter so you only go to class with your house of classmates. You also have small groups for lab with around 6 people so plenty of one on one opportunity with tutors and professors are very accessible. SGU also has so many connections in NY/NJ and FL. I believe they actually signed a contract with HHC hospital system in NYC that does not allow other Caribbean school to rotate at those hospitals. I've been on the interview trail with Ross applicants who have admitted to having a lot of difficulty with clinical rotation sites so something to think about.