Which business credit card?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyefixer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey med business gurus,

I am opening a solo practice and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on what business credit card to get. American Express just came out with a Plum card which gives you 2% cash back, but costs $185/year. Any other suggestions? Any cards with better rewards?

Thanks in advance?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey med business gurus,

I am opening a solo practice and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on what business credit card to get. American Express just came out with a Plum card which gives you 2% cash back, but costs $185/year. Any other suggestions? Any cards with better rewards?

Thanks in advance?

If you fly, or just like points as much as I do, then you might want to look into the Starwood's American Express Card. With the points you get for sign-up, you qualify for (I believe) 3 free hotel stays (minus taxes). The Starwood brand might not be as expansive as the Hilton/Blackston brand, but stay at a Westin or Sheraton and you'll immediately fall in love.

I would give you all the other details, but why not let this other blogger do it.

I believe the first year is free, after which it is $45. There is a business version but I don't know the fee for that.

There is a point cap per year, about $60,000 (I doubt remember, and don't want to look it up).

I should add

The APR is 17%. Its average for a reward card, but high for all cards.

If you don't carry balance like I do, it's a good card, but if you do plan on carry a balance, then I do not really recommend the card.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I already have that one. Signed up for 1 free year and got 10000 points. Not sure if I am going to keep it after a year though. We'll see.

Any other tips?

The Starwood AMEX wins...hands down. No other card comes close to their Starpoints.

My other card is the United Visa.

A few colleauges use the Hilton Honors and Marriot Rewards. I would not recommend a Diner's Club.

Amex Simplycash

:scared:The best credit card for small business is probably the CitiBusiness Card with ThankYou Network.
It offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 12 months, 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on eligible business purchases and 1 point on any other purchases, 10,000 bonus ThankYou Points after your first purchase - good for a $100 gift card, no balance transfer fee and no annual fee.:sleep:

Cost may be the most important factor you consider when choosing a credit card merchant account provider, but the next important thing to consider is service. Indeed, if you can get better service for a little bit more, it is well worth the money. Good service can mean the difference between a smoothly operating merchant account that makes things easier for you, and finding yourself spending more time fixing problems than actually making money.
There is a lot of merchant services provider that can help you get a low cost merchant account set up and running in a couple of days. I have been operating a retail store for years now and have set up a merchant account just recently and business has been good. And its really beneficial for your business to have a merchant services and be able to accept credit cards. Businesses that accepts this kind of payments can cut down on their level of accounts receivable by making it easier for costumers to pay. Likewise, companies that accept credit cards also decrease their level of non-paying costumers, which could saved more money in the long run.
U.S. Merchant Systems has been around in the industry for over 20 years providing outstanding programs and fast, convenient way for your business to be able accept credit cards. They also offer business cash advance and merchant loans to help your business get through these trying financial times.

paypal,Ctopay,google checkout are all good

Last edited: